Any and everyone with 200,000 miles on a vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
I oilcoat mine in high hopes of not having issues when things need work. Maybe that will fetch me a premium when I sell, I dunno.

I don't bother anymore. I took great care of my last truck and it was in better shape than 95% of the other ones for sale. I still got jack for it. People don't care around the 10 year mark.

It's hard selling a better than average car. Sure, the first person who knows cars, looks underneath, and shows up will buy it but with internet ads you have to compete on price, too.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's hard selling a better than average car. Sure, the first person who knows cars, looks underneath, and shows up will buy it but with internet ads you have to compete on price, too.

This is very true. It's tough to get someone to pay a premium for a well maintained, clean car. Used car buyers are either too cheap to buy a new car, or on a budget.

A few years back I sold my 1996 Chevrolet Suburban, 5.7L engine with 225,000 on the clock; original transmission and axles.

It was still mechanically sound and I wouldn't have hesitated to drive across the US with it.

Originally Posted By: supton
I oilcoat mine in high hopes of not having issues when things need work. Maybe that will fetch me a premium when I sell, I dunno.

I have a double issue. Live in the upper midwest so have the ice control stuff that can eat a vehicle, but if I did the oil coat thing, living on gravel roads as I do, I would end up with a major buildup of moisture trapping dirt underneath. All I can do is, when I buy a vehicle new, is have a professional rust prevention service done and undercoating before it has gone thru anything to seal up the vehicle as best as can be done right out of the gate.

Oddly enough the advice used to be to drive down a dirt road so as to coat the oil! Actually the dirt gets saturated with oil, and the metal stays sealed up. Well, until the oil evaporates off, then it is time to respray.

Oh, and I think I will keep oilcoating, even if it fetches me nothing on resale. Maybe I will reach some point where I will keep a vehicle long term--then that small investment/effort will reap large rewards.

Dad has over 250k on 2 Festiva's. Just normal maintenance.. oil changes every 3k and spark plugs and coolant every 30k. Transmission fluid is changed when the clutches are, both on #2. One's about to lose it's rearend due to rust but the other is good condition. I'd say the good one you could drive it anywhere. Not much to go wrong on those cars though!

I took my old 94 Geo Prizm all over in the 7 years I had it from 106K to 256K miles. Trips from STL to DEN were the longest.

Made a fair bit of coin in mileage reimbursement from my employer as it was about $0.10-0.11/mile to drive when all costs were considered. My reimbursement has been over $0.50/mile since I can recall. So getting paid 4x what it costs me to drive it makes sense.

Everything in our household save the 99 Grand Marquis I just acquired from my grandmother has over 130K on the clock.

We have a 2002 Camry with just under 260K miles. oilBabe's oldest son will be driving it back and forth to a local college starting next month. In her ownership since new, the only repairs have been a axle, a starter and last winter one of the coils went out. The only other work has been wear items brakes, tires, batteries, belts, struts and fluid changes.

It looks rough but is perfect for a 22 year old to knock around in.

My 03 Protege5 has 182K on the ticker and I'm headed out to Omaha, NE from the STL area tomorrow. I'll be banking probably 1000 miles reimbursement by the time the trip is done. Since it's a Japanese built Mazda, rust will get it before anything else. It's starting to appear in the hatchback and a few other spots. I drive it 20-25K/year, so I hope to get two more winters out of it before I move it on.

As long as you take care of a car, high miles is simply a number.

Sure, things can break. But they can also break on a brand new car. Infant mortality and all that sort of thing.

207k on our '05 Sienna, we've taken it to Florida and Colorado many times and still would.

160k on my new (to me) '06 Explorer. That's our vacation vehicle now. It was a one owner, and I have all the service history on it. All it's needed was a new radiator, it started leaking after a drain and re-fill. The date stamp on the old one was 2010 so it was done at least once before. V8 and 6R60 transmission.

229k on my '02 Odyssey van I use for running around. Bought it for $2500 around 2 years ago and have spent about $75 on it for rear shocks. I've done two oil changes on it with $.50/qt Supergard blend and $1.50 QS oil filters. This was also a one owner van with every Honda service interval performed at the dealer. I'd also drive it cross country if I had to.

241k miles on Nissan Sentra SE-R. Bought new, used by various family members but always seems to come "home". Tracked in the 90's, always driven .. enthusiastically. And always well cared for. Engine (wonderful SR20DE) and trans never apart. Synthetic fluids always. Motul or Redline since mid 90s. Replacements over time - one starter, one alternator, one clutch, six halfshafts, one front wheel bearing, four sets shocks, two sets of control arms. Rust is the enemy and must be kept up with. Drive 5000 miles? Right now and without a worry. Maybe it's nostalgia but it gives me more psychic benefit than just about anything else I've had. Will drive it occasionally till its wheels get square.

Last edited:
I changed the oil in my b-I-l's 2004 Corolla in April when it had 243K....I'm sure it's at 250 by now. He's now using synthetic every 10K and has to add about 1/2 qt. somewhere in the middle of the OCI.

Rust or the terrible roads (potholes despite the highest taxes around) will do a car in before too few oil changes will.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Chris142
What does a hot desert have to do with not driving it? If everything is working as designed 100+ temps won't matter.

(as long as you're driving mildly)

A long time ago, I did New England to Prescott, AZ. I was in ,my Caddy...it had the original 425 with ~165,000 hard miles and a junkyard transmission. It was July...I left El Paso and made Prescott in a bit over seven hours. I recall it was about 115 degrees, and I set the cruise for 85MPH. Even now, with the big stroker engine, the car runs cool in 100+ degree heat.

Exactly. You set the cruise control. No constant flooring it to accelerate, no staying near redline.

That's not hard driving.

85+MPH in 115 degree heat is "mild" driving? I want some of what you're smokin'!

On a flat highway, especially with proper gearing, it sure is.

Going 85 MPH on a flat highway, my Fusion only hits about 2600RPM.

Even in 115 degree heat here in Phoenix, I call that mild driving.

85+MPH in 115 degree heat is "mild" driving? I want some of what you're smokin'!

No smoking here. Never even been drunk.

Getting up to 85 MPH in a hurry would be hard. Staying there is not. Hard means there's a lot of internal stress. Moderate RPMs and low throttle generate pretty little internal stress.

The powertrain loves all the air flowing through the radiator at 85 MPH in 115 degree heat. I think a lot more severe duty would be bumper to bumper traffic in afternoon rush hour when it's 115 out, surrounded by other hot cars and on asphalt that has been baking in the sun all day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back