Any Air Conditioning Experts

I recharged the Air Con system of my 2007 Honda Accord almost exactly 2 years ago. It had always worked well in the past but it wasn't blowing cold any more. That was its first recharge.

It worked well initially and also last summer but it's not blowing very cold any more. I've only driven it about 2,000 km (1250 miles) since the recharge. I try to use the AC regularly as I suspect that's good for it.

What to do? Does it need a repair or just another recharge? Is the little usage causing a problem for the AC?

I'd start looking for leaks, you might need to add some dye to the system if you don't see traces of oil/dirt at fittings, connections, hoses, etc.

You almost certainly have a leak. Get some R134a with the uv dye in it and find the leak. Then fix the leak, vacuum the system down to verify no leaks, and refill with R134a. I would also replace the accumulator/drier and the expansion valve/orifice tube while you have the system apart, that will improve the operating of the AC system and will make sure no moisture is present in those parts before the vacuum stage.

Running the AC does help to keep everything flowing in the system but once a leak develops it isn't going to do much.

What ever you do, do not overfill your AC with R134a like I did on my Acura in signature. Doing that, I fried my clutch on the condenser here just last month and now I have no AC. You might want to check your fuse/relay in your fuse box first. Those years Hondas and Acuras are known for fuse/relay issues and condensers going bad.

Start looking for leaks. You are obligated by law to find and fix them. Lack of use is detrimental for AC systems. The flow of oil, carried by the refrigerant, is essential to keep hoses and seals working.

I have a slow leak on my 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 280K miles. A recharge cost me $70 this year at the repair shop and last thru two summers. Not worth fixing the AC. rather pay another $70 in summer 2026 if the truck last that long!

Valve core leaks on the service ports are somewhat common leak points on those.
Can you or @Chris142 suggest the best brand of valve cores to use on R-134a systems on a Honda? I have replaced a few with the Robinair cores with the blue teflon seal ring using blue Nylog and still have minor seepage about 50% of the time.

Not sure I want to get into DIY AC diagnosis and repair. A guy has to know when to let an expert take over.

Is this a job for the Honda dealer, a general repair shop (several highly regarded ones nearby), or an AC specialty shop?

I have a vague recollection of the Honda dealer mentioning $300 for diagnostics 2 years go, which sounded like quite a bit when I was only contemplating a first recharge in a 15 year old car.

Is the compressor kicking in? If so, you really need to put some gauges on the system to see what's going on. Anything else is a shot in the dark. How often do need a/c in BC anyway?
The AC still works but it's pretty weak.

It doesn't get that hot around here (25C would be a hot day). On a long trip that would get tiring. But the big issue is parking outside in the sun and driving off in a really hot car.

Not sure I want to get into DIY AC diagnosis and repair. A guy has to know when to let an expert take over.

Is this a job for the Honda dealer, a general repair shop (several highly regarded ones nearby), or an AC specialty shop?

I have a vague recollection of the Honda dealer mentioning $300 for diagnostics 2 years go, which sounded like quite a bit when I was only contemplating a first recharge in a 15 year old car.
Any competent repair shop can fix it. Sometimes the dealer has specials during summer making it worth it to just go there.

I have owned a few Hondas over time. My current one,2017 CRV didn't last 3yrs. It needed major work. All my past Honda's the air conditioning unit fails! They still can't figure it out. Did some research and it seems Honda still have these issues!

Back