Analysis: PEA in different cleaners (Techron, Archoil, Oilsyn, Pro-Tec)

I was going to do testing with similar products to check their effectiveness on carbon deposits in an old 4 cylinder block, I reached out to a few companies to ask about the amount of PEA their products contain.

Nulon wouldn't give me an answer as they said it's a trade secret but asked how I was going to replicate the heat inside the combustion chamber as some chemicals perform better or worse when heat comes in to the equation.

I ended up with about half a dozen different brands but didn't go through with the testing as I couldn't replicate the combustion process so it wouldn't have given an accurate representation of how the products work in the cylinders or exhaust valves etc.

Interesting. Thanks for this. There are different versions of Techron available here and I always wonder what I'm paying for. I will note that the Jaguar F-Type I drive is well known to stick injectors, and the solution seems to be regular use of cleaner. I purchased Redline S-1, which is supposed to have the highest PEA content.

In any case, Techron, coupled with Shell premium fuel seems to work, as my other Jag is now starting and running well in the cold after multiple uses of Techron injector cleaner, something I had trouble with for years.
Well it is a Jaguar, so out the gate it's going to give you thrills and chills on how it behaves. I love the looks of English cars but some of their issues know no rhyme or reason. But it does get you into some of the cool guy 😎 clubs also.......

If you are in Canada and can’t get Techron, go to a Hyundai/Kia dealership and buy their fuel system cleaner - even has the same bottle as Techron.

Also, can you get your hands on VW Multi-purpose Additive G001780M3? Its 70-90% PEA according to a 2021 SDS, and is prescribed by VW in a TSB to potentially resolve misfires due to deposits on the fuel injectors and intake valves. They even recommend using it every 5k km if Top Tier gasoline is not available: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10176770-0001.pdf

You might use up the whole bottle of Titrant A though ;)
Special for you:

Back