Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2004 Subaru WRX STi
Mileage: 73,200
Driving Style: Spirited
Current Fill: PP 5w30 with Purolator PureONE Filter
Air Filter: Amsoil EAO
---
So im trying to figure out which oil would offer me superior protection, lubrication and cleaning.

Both oils are in the upper 7-8 dollar range, and both oils are superior to most anything you can find on the shelf of any store.

When going to a new oil I ALWAYS start with a 3,000 mile OCI and then send away for analysis. And then extend furthur, I am a bit over protective of this vehicle.

Im running a good air filter so I think i'll have good filtration of particles, however I sometimes smell the hint of fuel on my oil.

If you are curious here is some comparative data.

Amsoil
---
AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (SSO)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445) 10.3
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445) 56.56
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 173
Cold Crank Simulator Apparent Viscosity @ -35°C, cP (ASTM D5293) 5927
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92) -51 (-60)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92) 230 (446)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92) 246 (475)
Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D4172: 40kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr) Scar diameter, mm 0.406
Noack Volatility (ASTM D5800) 250°C for 1 hour, % weight loss 8.65
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity cP, X°C, X s-1 (ASTM D4683) 3.2
Total Base Number 13.2

---

Redline
---
5w-30
SM/SL/SG/CF
Gas/Diesel

Viscosity Grade (SAE) : 5w-30
Vis @ 100 C, cSt : 10.6
Vis @ 40 C, cSt : 62
Viscosity Index : 162
CCS Viscosity Poise : 60@-30C
HTHS Vis, cP @150C : 3.8
ASTM D4741
Pour Point C : -45
Pour Point F : -49
Flash Point C : 252
Flash Point F : 486
NOACK Evaporation Loss
1hr @ 482F (250C), % : 6
---

What do you guys think?

*All Technical info was spotted by each oils respective website.

Unless you are going to go beyond 12k miles, I'd skip on SSO. I don't think either will be any better than the PP 5w-30 you are running now up to 7k miles or so.

I have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that my PP 5w-30 is offering me the same protection, sheer stability, flow-on-start, and lubricity that either Redline or Amsoil could offer me.

It's hard to believe PP is a good oil when you don't see the PP banner at NASCAR races. Without the banners how can this be so? Fact is that PP is a very good oil.

Fact is that I don't watch Nascar, nor does advertising decide what goes into my car.

From a technical white paper standpoint I have trouble thinking that PP is as "strong" a oil as the two listed.

It doesnt seem like PP would be able to play ball in the same park as Redline and Amsoil.

I've seen UOAs of PP and I understand it is a good oil, thats why im running it now.

From a standpoint of money-is-no-object for oil, im trying to figure out if I could get a better oil and extend OCIs.

I was leaning towards the SSO.

Quote:

Fact is that I don't watch Nascar, nor does advertising decide what goes into my car.

From a technical white paper standpoint I have trouble thinking that PP is as "strong" a oil as the two listed.

It doesnt seem like PP would be able to play ball in the same park as Redline and Amsoil.

I've seen UOAs of PP and I understand it is a good oil, thats why im running it now.

From a standpoint of money-is-no-object for oil, im trying to figure out if I could get a better oil and extend OCIs.

I was leaning towards the SSO.

It depends what you are looking for.

Super long drains, great protection - SSO
Average drain intervals, great protection, sold anywhere - PP

In terms of protection, PP is as good as anything I've seen from Amsoil. Just isn't built for super long drains.

I wouldn't use SSO unless you go beyond 12k miles.
twocents.gif

From what i gather SSO is the real deal, athough im going to let SSO run it course for at least six months before i decide to give her a try based of uoa's done by folks here.

Quote:

I have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that my PP 5w-30 is offering me the same protection, sheer stability, flow-on-start, and lubricity that either Redline or Amsoil could offer me.

At a lower price and more so with watching for specials /rebates.

Quote:

From what i gather SSO is the real deal, athough im going to let SSO run it course for at least six months before i decide to give her a try based of uoa's done by folks here.

Splain the gathering to me.please.

I would say most people don't need syn oil . And many spend lots of money on syn oil and change it at 5,000 mile intervals and are getting close to exactly the same wear results as any off the shelf dino oil. Now there are some people who run syn oil and take advantage of the long life possibilities of the oil. For some reason syn oil doesn't always last the 25,000 + miles ,but I guess lots of freeway miles is the trick.

Quote:

I would say most people don't need syn oil . And many spend lots of money on syn oil and change it at 5,000 mile intervals and are getting close to exactly the same wear results as any off the shelf dino oil. Now there are some people who run syn oil and take advantage of the long life possibilities of the oil. For some reason syn oil doesn't always last the 25,000 + miles ,but I guess lots of freeway miles is the trick.

Also synthetic oil gives a little cushion should there be a mechanical problem, a mishap that extra protection. One example is when my radiator cap blew off and I drove 10 miles with no radiator fluid. I had the Amsoil TSO 0w-30 oil in the engine. The oil refuse to heat up. There was no damage to the engine. I can't say if a dino oil would had given the same protection.

That is what I am paying when I purchase a high end synthetic oil. It does depend on each car owner how he values his vehicle. Paying that extra cushion becomes a personal choice. After using synthetic oil, I don't think I'll go back to dino oil, not saying dino is inferior...but I do use Amsoil yearly OCI. I can sleep at night knowing I've got that extra cushion of protection.

Quote:

Quote:

Also synthetic oil gives a little cushion should there be a mechanical problem, a mishap that extra protection. One example is when my radiator cap blew off and I drove 10 miles with no radiator fluid. I had the Amsoil TSO 0w-30 oil in the engine. The oil refuse to heat up. There was no damage to the engine. I can't say if a dino oil would had given the same protection.

That is what I am paying when I purchase a high end synthetic oil. It does depend on each car owner how he values his vehicle. Paying that extra cushion becomes a personal choice. After using synthetic oil, I don't think I'll go back to dino oil, not saying dino is inferior...but I do use Amsoil yearly OCI. I can sleep at night knowing I've got that extra cushion of protection.

Thats crazy either it works or you got really lucky.

"Thats crazy either it works or you got really lucky."

True story. Call it luck or not but the TSO friction modified oil cooled the engine down. Tell you the truth I didn't it believe myself, thought I would have an ulcer with a repair bill. This was with the SL rated TSO(which everyone bashed???).

Quote:

I disagree, synthetic oil flows at much lower temps and doesn't burn off like dino oil. Synthetic oils contain no wax so they don't form sludge. Synthetic oils are also more shear stable... I could go on and on why they are better. I guess people like to cheap out on things like oil and taking care of their cars.

Quote:

XPR,

wax and don't form sludge? Maybe read a little more, make that a lot more, and post less.

Maybe you should stop personal attacks and stick with the facts. Synthetic oils do not contain wax!

laugh.gif
True, synthetics do not contain wax. I didn't claim that they did. Please list the 'dino' oils that do contain wax along with their MSDS as you indirectly said they all do.

BTW, that's not a personal attack at all. Wow, wafer thin skin huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back