Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30, 12229 mi, 2001 Isuzu Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Pb in this type of situation is typically from the babbit overlay material on the main/rod bearings. These are easily damaged from the acidic sludge caused when EG combines chemically with engine oil.

No kiddin'.
rolleyes.gif
There are other bearings in the engine besides the main/rod, but I see you going to turn this into a sales job.

427Z06,
I'm not real clear on what you are trying to say here. The lead wear rate has gone down since the the last two reports, yet it almost seems like you are saying it is still something to be concerned with.

TooSlick, in his second to last post, sounds like he is trying to track down the source of the elevated levels of copper.

427Z06,
I am not trying to be offensive to you, however, I just did a search for my vehicle/engine in this forum. Not only is the lead no longer elevated in the latest report, but it also seems very, very low compared to other Isuzu reports with lower oil mileage intervals. I just don't understand your fixation on the lead. In my mind, it doesn't matter where it is coming from in the engine at this point because of the low wear rate.

Bobby

427Z06,
Sorry about addressing you twice in the last post. I thought I had written to more than one person.

Bobby

The lead is extremely low!!! This is about as much lead that you would expect in UOA of 1,000 miles. The only thing that seems to stand out is the cooper. I do not know if this is normal for this engine. High cooper is normal for certain engines.

Not only do you not know what bearings it is coming from, you don't know what type of wear it is or whether it is even signficant. I really believe that people are fooling themselves by looking into these reports too much.

If you were to base M1R's performance on the few UOA's we have here, I bet no one would ever believe that it was the runner up oil to Joe Gibb's racing oil in the testing they performed. Point is, their is a lot more to this than people realize.

Wear metals in this report if anything, are low. Don't loose sleep over this stuff.

TooSlick,
When you say conventional are you referring to an aftermarket oil cooler or the one that came with the Trooper? The only aftermarket item that I have installed on this vehicle is the bypass system from Amsoil.

I am also not very familiar with oil coolers. I do know that there are lines running from the oil filter mount to the radiator. Does this fit the definition of an oil cooler?

I am now halfway through the second tank of BP premium and the pinging is completely gone at this point. I think I will sample at about four to six thousand miles in order to see what is going on. Twelve thousand miles is too long to wait.
smile.gif

Bobby

Bobby,

Sounds like you have an oil cooler, or an oil/coolant heat exchanger. If it is the latter and it was replaced as the source of the coolant leak, it's possible the Cu is coming from that.

In any event, I'd simply keep an eye on the Cu levels and make sure they're stable or decreasing.

TS

Bobby,

Certain types of high temp, "Permatex" type sealants do contain some copper, as well as silicone. Since the Si levels are quite low, I'm not sure that's the source here. I'd have to know more about what type of materials were used in the repair.

I don't think there's a real issue at this point, it's more a puzzle that I'd like to solve.

TS

TooSlick,
I was talking with my brother yesterday and he thinks I could have the latter item you mentioned in your post. I know that it hasn't been replaced, however, I do know something that was worked on recently.

When I had that coolant leak just prior to using the S3k, the Isuzu dealership told me that the intake manifold gaskets on my engine were allowing coolant into the engine. As a result, they had to replace both gaskets for the second time. As a matter of fact, the first time the gaskets went out was just before I ran the S2k featured in the first two reports.

Don't gaskets, especially new ones, leach copper into the engine oil?

buster,
I don't think I could agree with the post you made. While I do not get so caught up in oil analysis reports that I lose sleep over them, I do believe they are a very useful tool for me to utilize.

I will never switch away from using Amsoil's lubricants so I do not need the reports to compare other oils to Amsoil. Rather, I plan on using these oil analysis reports as a guide in order to help me achieve the longest possible life for my Trooper.

I don't believe these values should be set in stone. After all, what is the difference between ten ppm and twenty ppm of lead in the long run? Not very much at all. However, the reports give me as the owner a snapshot view to check the condition of my Trooper, establish trends, and to alert me to possible problems before they cause major damage.

As a result of the three reports that I have taken, I now know that I am on the right track. Fe and pb are going down, copper seems to be holding steady, and oil additive levels remain high. I don't have the knowledge or experience many people on this board have. Therefore, oil analysis is a useful tool for me. If you do not agree with me, I can still respect and appreciate your viewpoint.

Thanks,
Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back