Amsoil EaO Filter - More Than One Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
10,000 miles on the filter, 6 months time. You can check out the UOA, I posted it today (03 Jeep Liberty). I'd like to use it for another 10,000 miles and 6 months. Amsoil again (ASL 5w30). Any opinions?

Actually. according to Amsoil, 25,000 miles is conservative.The filters were tested out to 60,000 miles and were still good.

They are guaranteed for 25,000 miles but their website advises to change the filter at each oil change. So it seems like using the filter for multiple oil changes is not what they have in mind.

If you;re planning on another UOA with the same oil and OCI length, I would change the filter. I'd go with a Pure One or Wix/Napa Gold this time around for UOA comparison.

The performance and life of a ff oil filter are hard to figure out. Spec's are fuzzy and information takes some real analysis to get anything. In fleet service we have messed with the idea of rating filters by measured performance on the road. We are working toward a test scheme but it has not been completed. We have done bench testing and lab work on oil samples with lots of backup. After all that we are going to try a dye that one puts in the oil and measures how quick it is removed by the ff filter with a field test kit. If something comes of our science project I will try to get Scrooge the owner of the fleet to free up the test details. The dye test so far is giving results that can be backed up in the lab and it's one heck of a lot cheaper if you can get the up front work done.

If Honda can recommend a filter change every other oil change, I don't see why running an Amsoil filter to 20k would be an issue. You can always pull the filter, drain it, and re-install.

Quote:

They are guaranteed for 25,000 miles but their website advises to change the filter at each oil change. So it seems like using the filter for multiple oil changes is not what they have in mind.

They're also in the business of selling filters. A Wix will go 15000 miles in my Subarus with 0.2 insolubles in the UOA, I wouldn't blink an eye at an AmSoil filter for 20,000 miles.

Titan's got it. The same combustion byproducts are produced over the same duration over the same service regardless of what filter you have on there.

Quote:

Quote:

The filters were tested out to 60,000 miles and were still good

Is there any documentation available on that?

The only thing I can find right now is an article in Amsoil Action News. On page 14, It says, "EaO filters are recommended for use up to two times longer than OEM recommendations for comercial units, fleets and RVs using diesel fueled engines, not to exceed 60,000 miles for heavy-duty on-highway diesel applications."

I am unable to find the article I originally read, but will post it as soon as I find it.

Harry

Quote:

That sounds like the EaBP number ..or at least is the same as the EaBP recommendation.

I saw the recommendation for the bypass filter, this article was about the regular EaO filter. I am still unable to find the article about how Amsoil tested the EaO filter out to 60,000 miles and it was still good. The article as I remember, said that nobody would believe that the filter was that good, so they lowered the expected miles to 25,000.

Quote:

Actually. according to Amsoil, 25,000 miles is conservative.The filters were tested out to 60,000 miles and were still good.

Actually Amsoil has recommendations other that what posters are thinking gauranteed. Read Amsoils literature carefully.

Quote:

10,000 miles on the filter, 6 months time. You can check out the UOA, I posted it today (03 Jeep Liberty). I'd like to use it for another 10,000 miles and 6 months. Amsoil again (ASL 5w30). Any opinions?

What does Amsoil recommend ? People here sometimes can't figure Auto R/X directions .

I am on my second change using the same Eao. I usually use the same filter for 3 changes, but since I am going from the TSO to the SSO next oil change, I will have to change the Eao filter.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back