Amsoil Announcement

It's possible.

If I dont purchase Amsoil, though, it won't be because of him. It'll be because they charge $15.49/quart for what I need, as well as I have to apparently order direct. Oddly, this is a practice that typically saves the seller money. I shudder to think what it would cost me at O'reilly's to purchase Amsoil if they ever carried it. $20/quart?
Within the Amsoil model, the cost at your corner auto supply store should be close to the online price. The store would sign up to be an Amsoil dealer and they would get discounts on the product and then they put it on their shelfs at a price. I don't know the current arrangement with all that (such as if they can sell it for whatever they want or if there's a MSRP they need to stick to), but they are not buying the oil you need at $15.39 and then marking it up from there.

Within the Amsoil model, the cost at your corner auto supply store should be close to the online price. The store would sign up to be an Amsoil dealer and they would get discounts on the product and then they put it on their shelfs at a price. I don't know the current arrangement with all that (such as if they can sell it for whatever they want or if there's a MSRP they need to stick to), but they are not buying the oil you need at $15.39 and then marking it up from there.
No but there's a convenience markup at the late-night autoparts stores.

Hi Pablo, hoping you can clarify something I read I think on this site "current API SP, due to modern chemistry might not be adapted or compatble with older engines ". I know they say that SP grade oil is backward compatible, but how far. I know not to a model T (SA). Somewere else I read oil is backward compatible for 2 or 3 letters (SL, SM). I have a 2007 Avalon which uses 5w30, is it safe to use the new SP oil in my older engine which originally required API SL?

Hi Pablo, hoping you can clarify something I read I think on this site "current API SP, due to modern chemistry might not be adapted or compatble with older engines ". I know they say that SP grade oil is backward compatible, but how far. I know not to a model T (SA). Somewere else I read oil is backward compatible for 2 or 3 letters (SL, SM). I have a 2007 Avalon which uses 5w30, is it safe to use the new SP oil in my older engine which originally required API SL?
2007? Not even a worry.

1957? Hardly. Maybe. Lots of reasons, from different materials, designs, etc to leaded fuel - but you have no worries.

Back