AMSOIL AFF0w-40 5064 miles 2011 Acadia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up 6qts of ST oil. Now to get the mileage on the Acadia. Might take longer than usual now that our daughter has a vehicle and driving, she just turned 16 in Nov. So Mom isn't so much a taxi service like before.

I think this oil isn't spec'ed for a car/truck due to it's higher content of Zinc and Phosphorus. But I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
5k mile OCIs?
Considering a s-t-r-e-t-c-h to a mind-bending 8k miles?
Wow - really pushing the envelope, aren't we?
At that limit, even a dino oil would probably do fine.

And don't flame me for Dexos being "requried", because by using AFF (only rated up to API "SL" which would not cover a 2011 vehicle nor GM Dexos applications), it's clear the OP isn't overly concerned about warranty coverage. And, BTW, Amsoil would not cover a warranty claim for this application either, because they do not specify AFF for Dexos applications; allow me to quote directly from their written warranty certificate:
"Failure of equipment when AMSOIL lubricants are not used in strict accordance with either the written recommendations of AMSOIL INC. or the OEM for warranty coverage."
They would only have to warrant the use of (according to their site data) ASL, XL, or OE lubes; not AFF.

Is the engine in fine shape; yes - it seems so, and frankly I don't know why it wouldn't be. But the wallat is taking a pounding here. What a huge waste of synthetics.

DN is right that the oil looks good to extend the OCI to 7.5K miles (I don't know anyone apart from a few classic or race car owners that does an OCI of less than 10K miles apart from a few poor folks subject to severe service issues), BUT the fuel contamination needs questioning. If you were only doing short trips all is OK, or if you didn't drive for 30 mins before sampling or were stuck in traffic then it is moderately OK, BUT if there is any kind of smoke out the back or you use a huge right boot on a cold engine, then that not too good.
I would put any spare cans of ALF 5/30 in the bin on the grounds of low TBN, BUT when you select an oil try and cross check the major brand oil finder sites for Castrol, Mobil, Shell or Liqui Moly. Just check the .co.uk or .de versions to see the non CAFE restricted groups, then go to the US .com page and see what is available in the US. There tends to be more choice in the 5/40 rather than 0/40 group of multi grades if you can't find a recommended 0/40 (Minus 25C is the oil company recommended min for a 5W).
When looking at the UOA figures I would not forget that the engine might be still in final break in phase for a few more OCI's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rat407
Wow, didn't expect to see such replies.

It is interesting that GM programmed the OLM in the 2010 and newer Lambda platform vehicles to basically make it so that it is 5k miles when it gets down to 10% oil life. Before this our 08 would go to almost 10k before it got down to 10%.

My 2010 Traverse.
I use Valvoline Dino 5W-30. But at 5000 miles when I change oil- the OLM is usually in the 48-52% OLM....

Originally Posted By: rbarrios

It is interesting that GM programmed the OLM in the 2010 and newer Lambda platform vehicles to basically make it so that it is 5k miles when it gets down to 10% oil life. Before this our 08 would go to almost 10k before it got down to 10%.

My 2010 Traverse.
I use Valvoline Dino 5W-30. But at 5000 miles when I change oil- the OLM is usually in the 48-52% OLM....

I'm pretty sure there is a TSB out to have your PCM re calibrated so that it will have the OLM come closer to the 5k mark.

I'm pretty sure there is a TSB out to have your PCM re calibrated so that it will have the OLM come closer to the 5k mark.

Not on the 2010's- as far as I know.
an example-- the TSB said 2009's.
But some 2009 owners went in to have the Calibration done- and they were told their 2009's were not included.
There was a VIN cutoff for 09's.
But I sure have not received notice- nor was there an update when I had it in for service

Not on the 2010's- as far as I know.
an example-- the TSB said 2009's.
But some 2009 owners went in to have the Calibration done- and they were told their 2009's were not included.
There was a VIN cutoff for 09's.
But I sure have not received notice- nor was there an update when I had it in for service

Interesting. I can say this much, no matter what type of driving style or conditions when our OLM gets down to 5% we are at 5k miles every time. Some of our driving put miles on fast from several long trips from here in NC to PA and back and it still worked out to be the same.

everytime he starts with the 'check the web sites of oil finders for European cehciles'--I go on to the next post
I've never put a poster on ignore before, but I feel it coming

My 2010 Traverse.

my 09 was built in late 08 and I got the recall notice to have the calibration done. After the recalibration was done I got the notice from GM thay my warranty was extended to 10 years 100,000 miles. My wife drives the car 90% intown short trips and the last time I changed oil the OLM was at 7% with only 3,700 miles......

My 2010 Traverse.

What was the story on that recal, did they get problems using too long an OCI and dino or was this for fuel contamination??

I think the reason for the TSB to recalibrate the OLM was to bring it down some because they are having timing chains go out, in that they are stretching and finding engines with bad sludge build up. This is what I take of it but could be wrong.

yeah several things were happening.
Long intervals...
things that were being seen were fuel dilution, some people were not checking their oil level in say 10,000 miles, so they were coming in with very low oil levels, the oil could also be past its usefulness due to the above--- and the above could lead to issues with timing chain wear/stretching (Coupled with apparently bad parts).

I believe the oil is also used as hydraulic fluid of sorts... to move parts or something like that--- so if you were low on oil-- that also brought up issues.
(please correct me on this for anyone that knows the correct term)

I did see several posts from owners who followed the OLM- and eventually had engine failure. Upon checking they had very little oil. Though the manual does state to check oil level often.

Yes the oil is used to run the cam phasers in the variable valve timing. So that is an added stress on it as well. I'm sure when the viscosity of the oil goes beyond what it is supposed to be that can effect cam timing and overall engine performance.

OK couldn't see starting a new thread. Here is a list of current UOA's for our 2011 Acadia, the most recent this past May and I added another UOA I found back in the month of Jan 2012. I chickened out and didn't go with Super Tech oil. The way this thing is treating the oil, I don't need any issues with the timing chains and since ST isn't dexos rated I don't want to take a chance. Sorry about that. This time around I thought I would try some AMSOIL AEL 5w-30 to see how it does.

Code:
Here are 3 UOA's on our 2011 Acadia. This has the direct injection.

Looks like this oil is taking a beating. This is with

and EaO18 oil filter on all UOA's. Running Exxon regular fuel 99% of the time.

The second sample was taken after a second run of the

XLF, then I switched to the AFF for these last two oil changes. This last UOA and the first

are from Dyson Analysis. The middle two are from Blackstone.

OIL AFF0w-40 AFF0w-40 XLF5-30 OEF5w-30

MILES IN USE 5135 5,064 5,170 4,334

MILES 33073 28,000 17,100 7.962

SAMPLE TAKEN 5/30/13 01/26/13 08/06/12 1/13/12

ALUMINUM 3 2 5 3

CHROMIUM 1 0 1 1

IRON 23 15 19 19

COPPER 6 4 6 12

LEAD 1 0 0 0

TIN 0 0 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 41 54 63 73

NICKEL 1 0 0 0

MANGANESE 14 34 1 11

SILVER 0 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 1 0 0

BORON 3 8 55 104

SILICON 16 14 18 18

SODIUM 7 2 5 8

CALCIUM 2192 3012 2477 1618

MAGNESIUM 14 34 9 11

PHOSPHORUS 1224 1000 562 750

ZINC 1085 1108 713 821

BARIUM 2 0 0 5

INSOLUBLES 0.2 0.2 0.2 0.2

WATER 0 0 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 290 370 390 340

SUS VIS 210ºF 63.7 62.2 53.5 46.3

cSt @ 212ºF 11.8 11.4 8.34 8.6

Fuel% 1.5 2.3
Antifreeze% 0 0 0 0

TBN 2.5 3.43 1.3 1.5

TAN 3.48 2.39

NIT 13 10

OXID 56 18

KF 638 914

I'm thinking the timing chain is taking a beating. This engine is known for having timing chain issues. The high fuel dilution isn't helping and it just took a toll on the oil that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back