AMSOIL OEF5w-30, 10k miles; 2011 Traverse 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a friends and they live out in the country about 15 miles. The air filter was nasty and looks like the original one, oil filter was a Pure One. I don't know how long the OLM was at 0% but it had 10,168 miles on this oil change
Which was AMSOIL OE 5w-30.

Code:
Here is what Blackstone commented: Universal averages for a GM 3.6L V-6 show typical wear after about 6,100 miles on the oil. You went longer on

this oil, which is partly why iron read so high. We'd expect it to read closer to 40 ppm after ~10K miles, so the extra iron

shows some wear at steel parts. Sodium was high, but it looks more like an additive from a previous oil rather than

coolant. Silicon could be abrasive dirt or harmless sealer, but check the air filter to be safe. We found some fuel, but

not a problematic amount. The TBN was low at 0.8 (1.0 is low) and the TAN was okay at 5.7. Try 8K miles next.

OIL OEF 5w-30

MILES IN USE 10,168

MILES 69,787

SAMPLE TAKEN 10/17/13

ALUMINUM 6

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 75

COPPER 4

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 69

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 1

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 32

SILICON 41

SODIUM 45

CALCIUM 2189

MAGNESIUM 12

PHOSPHORUS 765

ZINC 892

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 335

SUS VIS 210ºF 55.9

cSt @ 212ºF 9.03

Fuel% 1.5

Antifreeze% ?

Water% 0

TBN 0.8

TAN 5.7

Last edited by a moderator:
The fuel in the oil probably is why the iron is high. The viscosity is down a bit for a 30wt, the flashpoint is a bit low too. Are they short tripping it , or is it missing on a cyl? O2 sensor? It looks like its running rich, thinning oil on the cyl walls.

Last edited:
No short trips considering how far they live out of town. It is a DI engine. Running just fine from what they tell me. They where taking it to the dealer for oil changes but it got to the point that they couldn't get it in due to their schedule and so I have started to help them out. This is the first oil change from me and using the OEF, the other oil changes have all been from the Chevy dealer.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
No short trips considering how far they live out of town. It is a DI engine.

DI, that would explain the fuel!

Si of 41 ppm is pretty high, combined with Na of 45, and fuel at 1.5%, likely the combination indicates some level of dirt intrusion, a possibly nasty air filter or lower engine crankcase opening.

I would replace all the filters, check all the breathers and such, do a couple short runs with conventional oil, maybe one with some MMO, then give an 8K run a go XLF 5W-30

I changed out the air filter, looked like it was the original one. While I had the intake off, I cleaned out all the oil that was laying inside it. There was about a table spoon or so in there.

Since this is a friends wife's vehicle, not going to be able to talk them into doing short drains with conventional. They just want to get it changed and press on. I did let them know that I would not go past 5k on this. I guess we will see what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back