Amsoil 100:1 in Lawn Boy Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stihl orange bottle is a tc spec mineral oil stihl black bottle is a iso eg jaso fc synthetic blend. From what I have been told by someone in the industry chevron makes stihl's oil.

I have so much 2-stroke oil on hand right now, I don't know what to do with it, especially the older stuff.
rolleyes.gif

Stihl 1+ quarts (orange bottle)
John Deere - 12+ 8oz cans.
Poulan 12+ 8 oz. cans
Quicksilver 6+ 12oz cans
Kawasaki - 2/3 of one gallon.

The only machinery we have right now that calls for this stuff is a weed whapper and a chainsaw. They only go through about 1 gallon of fuel per year.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
I have so much 2-stroke oil on hand right now, I don't know what to do with it, especially the older stuff.
rolleyes.gif

Stihl 1+ quarts (orange bottle)
John Deere - 12+ 8oz cans.
Poulan 12+ 8 oz. cans
Quicksilver 6+ 12oz cans
Kawasaki - 2/3 of one gallon.

The only machinery we have right now that calls for this stuff is a weed whapper and a chainsaw. They only go through about 1 gallon of fuel per year.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror, if the Quicksilver is TCW3, I'll send you a few bucks for it. -Joe

[ December 05, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

As far as using the 100:1 in engines. I know some model airplane engine builders that exclusively recommend Amsoil 100:1. I had a customer that was in the the remote control scene and he had several articles on it. I don't remember the manufacurers though. I would guess that someone in the RC hobby would know.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Sorry Joe, but it's at least 12 years old.
frown.gif

If anyone here was local, I'd give most of the stuff away.

I should have figured it was old, since I haven't seen Quicksilver in cans in years. -Joe

MSsparks, I also know engine builders that reccomend all sorts of oils I would consider less than ideal. Just becuase somebody reccomends something does mean its worth a darn.

quote:

Originally posted by ben walker:
Although I have no expierance with amsoil 100:1 I wouldnt touch the stuff with a ten foot pole. Amsoil two cycle oils are ester based. This makes them pooor canidates for use in a motor that sits for any length of time as esters attract water. I also find it comical that people even want to run 100:1 ratios as what is the advantage. There are high quality oils that burn clean and have no smoke at 32:1 ratios.

I have searched all over the net and have yet to find anyone who has had a problem with the quality of Amsoil. I have found lots of people who badmouth it and then go on to say how they have never used it or would never use it.

Life is experience. Start living.

Mike

This may not be much help to you, but I have two Lawnboy mowers and use Amsoil 100:1 oil, but at a slightly richer ratio (one eight ounce bottle in five gallons of gas). Neither mower has the Duraforce engine, but the old type 2-stroker. One is 13 years old and the other is 4 years old. The newer mower has had Amsoil run in it all its life and still has the original spark plug. The older one has had Amsoil run in it for 5 years. It seems to leave very little carbon deposits. I have about 1/3 acre and alternate mowers every other time I mow the grass, so they don't get that much use.
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

I heard the 2-cyle engines are going to be a thing of the past. Soon, you will have a hrd time even finding a 2 cycle oil and will have to go back to the old days when we used 30 wt oil mix in our power saws.

They are banning 2 cycle engines in federal forest, federal lands, parks etc. I know a snow mobile racer and he tells me the state DNR are cracking down with them and the oils in the water drags etc. All the oils have to be bio-degradable.

I have a Honda mower I purchsed last year, nice machine and I have a 20 yrs sears craftsman 4 stroke that I have used Amsoil in since new. Still running and in like new condition, never have to add any oil to it and I often let it go many years without changing the oil.

Mike,

Some of the newer direct injection two strokes are pretty clean, and the industry is fighting hard for these to be accepted by the EPA, so they don't have to go all four stoke.

Watch what happens in California on this issue - it will foreshadow what the rest of the country will do in 5-10 years.

The new four stroke recreational engines are very impressive and much more fuel efficient, so I don't see a downside to this outside of cost. I'm sure the two stroke oil will still be available if the market is there.

TooSlick

Two cyclesd are not going away anytime soon. As TS mentioned DI outboards are very clean(better than current 4 strokes). They are also cheaper, have as good or better fuel economy, lighter, and less expensive to MFG. Four stroke boat motors have gained a foothold mostly because of the problems encountered by first generation DI motors. We ran four stroke Mercs this year at our lodge and will not be doing so again. Fuel economy wasnt as good as advertised, more maintenace, less power from a larger motor(20hp has same perforamnce as a 35 4 stroke) and less reliable than the two stroke(new model issues).
Also small two cycles like trimmers and blowers are getting cleaner. Many are meeting carb phase 2 standards with CAT and air injection type technologies. Add to that the fact that there are some 2/4 hybrids that use two cycle oil and I dont think you will see it not being sold anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back