Amsoil 0W-20 2400 miles 2008 F150 4X4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trav you're right! OP good job! These are very unique conditions, and covered, try XL and call it good!

My wife drives our Ascender to the bus stop parks it then jumps on the bus to work to not deal with the VA/DC traffic. The bus stop is about 1/4 mile down the road. So each day she is only driving the vehicle 1/2 mile. Should I be concerned and get a UOA done?

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Makes me wonder if i should change my Amsoil 0w20 out already. 6 months/4,000 miles 90% city driven...

Fresno? In a Honda? Big difference, plus all city driving is not the same thing as driving very short trips. Some city driving, engine gets fully warm, not hard at all on the oil relative to 0.5mi trips. It's the time at temp that counts.

Quote:
Commute to work *** 1 mile each way ***

Nothing wrong with this considering the above.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
Commute to work *** 1 mile each way ***

Nothing wrong with this considering the above.

Exactly. Folks are linking to this thread and somehow aren't bringing this to the forefront.

Short hops like this are murder on the oil. I'd go with a cheaper oil and change it more often. With this kind of use there aren't many other options.

This report indicates a very high quality engine oil, even under such severe conditions. The condition is still very good. Since it is a Dyson report, I'm sure that the OP is getting better guidance than he can get here. Based on my unqualified interpretation, I think this oil could have made it to 1 year in service and 5K miles...with no ill effects at all.

Another thing we have to remeber is that TBN drop is NOT linear.

I'd be willing to be this oil would have survived 1 year, just fine, even with these driving conditions. Amsoil 0W-20 is some stout stuff.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
1 mile to work? Get off your bum and walk.

Spoken like a true Austin tree hugger that has never been to Philadelphia much less in the winter. Please don't embarrass the other Texas folks here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Since this was an example of one of Amsoil's best products in worse than severe conditions how often would you have to change a regular oil given the same conditions? Monthly?

confused.gif
Just spent 33 1/2 yrs. in 1 of the most active firefighting areas of this Country driving 12 miles each way.....I thought I was doing the "green" thing transfering closer to home, you should be thanking me for the gas I'm saving.
wink.gif

Can't walk, too much gear to carry, can be "detailed" anywhere in the City.....this is why I have to drive a 4X4 truck, even with 3' of snow on the ground we're EXPECTED to be on time.....
And just what do you do for a living?
Having a bad day are you?
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: phillyFX4

confused.gif
Just spent 33 1/2 yrs. in 1 of the most active firefighting areas of this Country driving 12 miles each way.....I thought I was doing the "green" thing transfering closer to home, you should be thanking me for the gas I'm saving.
wink.gif

Can't walk, too much gear to carry, can be "detailed" anywhere in the City.....this is why I have to drive a 4X4 truck, even with 3' of snow on the ground we're EXPECTED to be on time.....
And just what do you do for a living?
Having a bad day are you?
smirk.gif

Don't you love when people tell you to walk? Knowing absolutely nothing about you or what you do.

Don't you love when people tell you to walk? Knowing absolutely nothing about you or what you do. [/quote]

What are you going to do? that's the internet
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back