Amsoil 0W-20 2400 miles 2008 F150 4X4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hate2work

Big fail in this case.

How so?

The owner knew what to do in "this case".

It's also possible the oil could have gone one year. The TAN is not crazy high at all.

Frankly I would still recommend 6 mo with XLM or bag the SAE 20 and go with ACD SAE 30/10W-30 or HDD 5W-30!

^^^ Then why not say up to xxxxxxxxxx miles or up to 1 year, as you just did? I was even told by an Amsoil rep via their 800#, if you don't hit the miles in SS, then leave the oil in for a year, the oil was made to take it. Yes people tend to read into it what they want, yet others actually read the words, or call a tech number and ask.

I'm with Frank, when they say "whichever comes first", they are saying you better get it out of there if it's been one year or if it's been 15k miles. Big fail in this case.

Glad we agree Don, it is an area of gray it seems. All they need to do to make it clear as a bell is say Up to 15,000 miles, or up to 1 year. I suspect there might be a reason for how they worded it, but I'm not on their legal team, or in their sales, or marketing depts.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Big fail in this case.

How so?

It's also possible the oil could have gone one year. The TAN is not crazy high at all.

Frankly I would still recommend 6 mo with XLM or bag the SAE 20 and go with ACD SAE 30/10W-30 or HDD 5W-30!

Amsoil suggests 1 year or 15k miles, whichever comes first, this oil is making death rattle sounds at 6 mos/2k miles, and you wonder why I said big fail in this case? Seriously?

Big fail in this case.

How so?

thanks all for the input.....I've learned quite a bit from this site over the years and I knew once I transferred closer to home that I was getting into the SS group, I also surf fish quite a bit with a beach buggy pass 4 wheelin', so I'm also exposing the engine to that salt environment too.
Philly can get pretty cold in the winter here, do you think the 30W would cut it as far as startups are concerned?

thanks again

Quote:
Amsoil suggests 1 year or 15k miles, whichever comes first, this oil is making death rattle sounds at 6 mos/2k miles, and you wonder why I said big fail in this case? Seriously?

Death rattle? Seriously? Nice word choice.

Why did you purposely skip the words "up to"?

I would have loved to see your favorite oil after 6 months here. A TAN of less than 3 with 1 mile commutes through a nasty cold winter for 6 months is awesome.

Quote:

I would have loved to see your favorite oil after 6 months here. A TAN of less than 3 with 1 mile commutes through a nasty cold winter for 6 months is awesome.

Sorry Pablo "up to" according to Gary Allan was for miles. It was a full year if the miles were less than 15,000. I bought Amsoil from him, and recall discussing it with him, as well as discussing it with one of their tech people before I chatted with Gary. That was the whole point in paying a premium price for an oil engineered to handle it. So now if a person buys a one year oil they better check their oil condition if they drive under the 15,000 miles or could be heading for disaster.

Why not suggest to the good folks at Amsoil this: Servere Service Interval is up to 15,000 miles, or up to 1 year, which ever comes first? Add two words that changes everything and eliminates any confusion. It might hurt sales though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: phillyFX4

thanks all for the input.....I've learned quite a bit from this site over the years and I knew once I transferred closer to home that I was getting into the SS group, I also surf fish quite a bit with a beach buggy pass 4 wheelin', so I'm also exposing the engine to that salt environment too.
Philly can get pretty cold in the winter here, do you think the 30W would cut it as far as startups are concerned?

thanks again

My first choice for others would stick with the recommended 5W-20. Go with the 5W-20XL and change at 4 month intervals. Personally, if I had your rig and your commute, plus sand and salt beach 4 wheeling, I would run Amsoil HDD 5W-30 at six month intervals. 5W-30 synthetic oil will have zero problems in east coast winter cold.

thanks again

My first choice for others would stick with the recommended 5W-20. Go with the 5W-20XL and change at 4 month intervals. Personally, if I had your rig and your commute, plus sand and salt beach 4 wheeling, I would run Amsoil HDD 5W-30 at six month intervals. 5W-30 synthetic oil will have zero problems in east coast winter cold.

Now that sounds like sound advise!
01.gif

thanks again

OK, thanks

Quote:

Thank you.

Because I was keying on the more important phrase, "whichever comes first", and not the phrase that you would have us believe means that a driver is supposed to know at which point in the life of his oil he needs to replace it without testing.

Your contention that I am misinterpreting the entire phrase, "Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first", is completely off the mark.

But we're not talking about any other oil. Your attempt at deflection has been noted.

Quote:
Severe Service up to 15,000 miles, or up to one year

IMO you have it right Frank.

I have 4K on this oil and its been in the engine for 12 months, do i change it? YES

I have 15K on this oil, its been in the engine 6 months do i change it? YES.

It doesn't seem that difficult to understand or am i missing something?

That being said i have used some of Amsoil's oils and have been well satisfied with them as being a top shelf product.
If an engine developed some noise issue i wouldn't be to quick to blame Amsoil.
Not that you did personally I'm just saying if someone is assuming that its a huge assumtion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:

I have 4K on this oil and its been in the engine for 12 months, do i change it? YES

That being said i have used some of Amsoil's oils and have been well satisfied with them as being a top shelf product.
Not that you did personally I'm just saying if someone is assuming that its a huge assumtion.

You aren't missing anything.

One more question: The oil is in the engine for 6 months and 2400 miles, do you change it? Lets forget UOA for a moment and follow Amsoil's guidelines.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:

You aren't missing anything.

One more question: The oil is in the engine for 6 months and 2400 miles, do you change it? Lets forget UOA for a moment and follow Amsoil's guidelines.

Does he also know my commute?.....I was really concerned about the possibility of fuel dilution that's why I did an oil analysis.....

philly- you did the right thing. My point is had you followed the 1 year part of the Severe Service Interval that they state you would have had problems. The fuel dilution you had is not an engine problem, just a fact of life with traveling those short distances.

philly- you did the right thing. My point is had you followed the 1 year part of the Severe Service Interval that they state you MAY have had problems. The fuel dilution you had is not an engine problem, just a fact of life with traveling those short distances.

There. I fixed it. It's not a certainty.

The TBN was a little low. Fuel was OK, maybe a slight bit higher than we like to see.

philly- you did the right thing. My point is had you followed the 1 year part of the Severe Service Interval that they state you MAY have had problems. The fuel dilution you had is not an engine problem, just a fact of life with traveling those short distances.

There. I fixed it. It's not a certainty.

The TBN was a little low. Fuel was OK, maybe a slight bit higher than we like to see.

LOL spoken like a true salesman!
smile.gif
Glad the OP was smart enough to know better and have the oil tested!

Last edited:
Quote:

Put that way the obvious answer would be of course not.

But in this case the owner has "inside" knowledge of some special circumstances that could seriously impact the oils service life.

I honestly think that in this case everybody is correct and at the same time incorrect.
The OP's situation it seems to me anyway is almost above and beyond severe service and he had concerns about it and he made a good call with the UOA.

I have run many engines with way over boost and big injectors, the oil recommendations didn't apply to these circumstances and i knew it. I knew full well this thing would kill the oil quick as sure as i am sitting here. It would have been a fools errand to expect an oil that had a 15k severe service interval to actually even come close to that give these circumstance.

I hope i am making my thinking understood properly as i mean no offence to anyone in this thread.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back