ammo storage??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small firearms safe and it is starting to get crowded I want to buy a lot of ammo. My gun safe is in my bedroom right now, my question is this:
1) WOuld it be okay to store my ammo in the basement(basement is quite humid like any other basement?
2) woudl I be able to move my gun safe in the basement too(guns and all)?
thanks

1) Consider military ammo boxes, which feature a gasket for watertightness (I've hear airtight as well, but am not sure of it), plus you can always throw in a dessicant pack. I have my ammo sorted into various military ammo cans, that way if I feel like doing some shooting on a whim, I just grab a can of what I know is cheap range ammo and go for it. If you know someone in the military, they should be able to get you all of the empty cans you could ever want! I have also seen them in surplus shops; I can't imagine they cost more than a couple dollars each, even for a large one or mortar box.

2) Why not? Again, if you are worried about corrosion, buy some quality dessicant packs. Also I have heard (and done, I admit, without proper research) that wiping the firearms down with one of those silicone-impregnated cloths before storage does actually prevent corrosion.

I would not store the ammo in an area know to be humid, you are just asking for trouble. If it must be stored there put it in air tight ammo cans with some type of moisture absorber like the kind found in new show boxes. Moisture is the ememy.

I would definatly NOT store my guns in a place like that either (ammo is cheaper to replace than refinishing most guns), they WILL rust eventually if left in a humid environment. Rust can start sooner than you think, even if the gun is newer and has nice blueing. Try to keep them high and dry (an lightly oiled) if you have the room upstairs or ground level. Browning and others make moisture absorbers for safes that can be recharged in your oven. No matter where they are stored occasionally take them all out and check them for light surface rust, then reoil. Try to catch any rust before it becomes a problem.

Desiccant
 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back