Ammo Shortage News Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ammo from China is not available since Norinco tried to smuggle in RPG's and other illegal bigger weapons or full auto weapons.
Pakistan/Indian ammo is not worth wasting resources, since its that bad. European ammo has been coming over steadily but not fancy enough for the crowds around here, and can be pretty expensive too.

Too many new 1st time new firearm owners added to demand. It will taper off. Talked to some friends in manufacturing and 'resources' are scarce. Where did all the copper/brass/aluminum/lead come from? where is it going? Manufacturing shops are having trouble sourcing various bar stock, metal sheets/rolls and paying dearly for it too.

Hoarding? Harsh words for a competitive or sport shorter since some us need ammo to shoot and simply buy in bulk to save money.

Found a couple 150 round 22wmr boxes at walmart. Loaded the PMR and CMR magazines several times and now 'all gone' to the plinking gods.

I didn't know that they still used 'lead' for wheel balancing. I thought that they moved to 'healthier' and 'environmentally safer' metals, like zinc, steel, or compressed unicorn turds, freeze dried forged leprechaun blood, or whatever is more green.

Overreaction to the new flu caused business shut downs or businesses to crawl which didn't help all products available.

I belong to an outdoor range and normally this time of year I am 1 of only a handful of guys that show up. This past year though the range has been crowded even during the week and on any sunny day regardless of temps. I wish we could get back to normal, I really liked only seeing 2 or 3 guys at the line during the week.

I have found that ammo is being delivered almost daily to local sporting goods stores. It just goes very quickly. If one can visit the stores late morning, after deliveries have been made, you can buy ammo. I just bought two boxes of 9mm Blazer Bronze this morning for $15/box.

A local sporting goods store is big enough that they have some real buying power. They get regular deliveries. As does Sportsman's Warehouse, also. I have made a practice of stopping in to the local sporting goods store on Friday mornings between 10:30 and 11:00. Two weeks ago I was able to pick up three boxes of 9mm at the local store and another two boxes at Sportsman's Warehouse. Paid $14/box for Blazer aluminum case, and the same day I paid $16 and $17 for Federal and Remington respectively, at Sportsman's Warehouse.

This morning, a mother and her adult daughter were picking up ammo right in front of me. This store limits buyers to three boxes per caliber per day. Both the mother and daughter picked up three boxes in each of five or six different calibers. They must have each had between $200 and $300 of ammo.

Is it hard to find? Yes. But it is being delivered to stores. And it is being sold. No conspiracy. Just supply and demand.

I don't blame anyone for running scared. Everyone wants to stock up so they won't be caught in this situation again. But by doing so, we are all creating the shortage that we are trying to protect ourselves against.

You can't even find reloading dies and presses. The government isn't hoarding those. There is a very simple answer to why this is happening because it happens in 4 and 8 year cycles but I can't mention it because that topic is forbidden on this board.
You can mention psychology. No "4 year administration" has come remotely close to limiting ammo sales or possession but people freak out just the same.

I wonder how many hoarders looked in the mirror and said, gee, BHO never took my stuff after all, guess I was a fool to overpay.

I wonder how many hoarders looked in the mirror and said, gee, BHO never took my stuff after all, guess I was a fool to overpay.
Said no one ever--they are still overpaying. 10K small rifle primers for $1600 and 1K 9mm 115gr FMJ for $700.

Will pay for my skid plates and the gears to regear both axles with money left over.

being able to shoot oddball handgun calibers is worthwhile these days. ive seen 9mak, 327mag, 32 short, 32acp, 25acp, 22wmr, 22wrf, 17hmr ammo readily available at non-highway robbery prices over the past couple of months. all in lgs.
And Buffalo Bore had .38 S&W for awhile too.

being able to shoot oddball handgun calibers is worthwhile these days. ive seen 9mak, 327mag, 32 short, 32acp, 25acp, 22wmr, 22wrf, 17hmr ammo readily available at non-highway robbery prices over the past couple of months. all in lgs.
When I bought my first pistol I wanted a .45 ACP but the Glock was too big for my hands so my choices came down to M&P .45 ACP or Glock .45 GAP. I assumed if there was ever an ammo shortage it would be better if I stuck with the more popular caliber. I was wrong about that.

I'm noticing that while prices are not good, 9mm ammo is more available and cost less than it did a few weeks ago. The same is happening with 38 special ammunition. The online sites are starting to compete with one another.

ammomart.com, ammoshoponline have 9mm in the $30-$35 range for 50 rounds luckygunner.com, ammoshoponline, and trueshotgunclub.com have 38 special ammo for $50-$55 for 50 rounds. 38 special ammo was rarely available and at least $25 higher to as much as you want to pay a week ago. I bought some 9mm ammo but will wait for 38 special to get lower. Like I said, these aren't good prices but are better than I've seen lately. Availability is a little better as well. I'm tracking this info on ammoseek.com. They have reviews on participating dealers you can read before making a purchase.

3 times the rate of a year ago. I'll shoot .22 for 20 cents a round in my G44.
I agree. I think the prices will go lower to where buying ammo will at least be tolerable just based on ammoseek.com information from the last two weeks. Of course it will likely skyrocket from time to time as well.

You can mention psychology. No "4 year administration" has come remotely close to limiting ammo sales or possession but people freak out just the same.

Federal administration, sure. States, lol no. California is leading the nation in idiocy in regards to guns.

I remember hearing the same about another administration that stayed in for 8 years. If the baboons congregate and start voting on new laws, I'll start worrying. I hope I'm right. Not saying I am, just hope it's more political rhetoric.

I did all my hoarding these last 4 years, so I'm just watching and providing some help to only my closest friends. As far as I'm concerned, it's a win-win. They're better off and I know where help may be if needed.

I'm noticing that while prices are not good, 9mm ammo is more available and cost less than it did a few weeks ago. The same is happening with 38 special ammunition. The online sites are starting to compete with one another.

I recently saw 9mm for like 76c/rd vs 90.

I passed. No thanks. I’ll buy a die and coated bullets before I pay that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back