American Airlines Pilot Plugs Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
"Rapture" is defined as an 'emotional or religious ecstacy."

I do no think these people (and I have spoken with people of this belief) are using this term correctly, nor do I find any Biblical support for it.

Unless you read ancient Greek, the bible you are reading is a translation of a translation, which means you can't put too much meaning into a literal reading of the scriptures.

I personally think it's a bunch of hooey, but here's the rapture believers view of it.

"Q: If you believe the bible is true then you would agree that there is no rapture .

A: That is patently nonsensical, because if I were reading the Latin version of the bible, I would read the word " rapiemur " as I came to 1 Thess 4:17. So " rapture " (the English transliteration of the simple latin verb " rapturo ") IS in the bible! The LATIN bible! But we obviously don't read Latin, so we have to read it in English, and when we get to where the Latin reads, " rapiemur ", we in English read " caught up " -- THAT'S what the " rapture " IS! The " rapture " IS the " catching up " described in 1 Thess 4:17!!"

rapture noun

1. Great delight; ecstasy.

Thesaurus: ecstasy, delight, bliss, euphoria, happiness, joy, exaltation, rhapsody, cloud nine (slang).
2. Great enthusiasm for or pleasure in something.

Example: was in raptures about the concert
Form: raptures
Derivative: rapturous
adj

Showing great enthusiasm or delight
Thesaurus: rhapsodic, delighted, euphoric, happy, exalted, overjoyed, enthusiastic, ravished, transported, ecstatic, joyful, blissful.
Derivative: rapturously
adverb

Etymology: 17c: related to rapt.

How ever it's used it translates to big bucks for all the preachers and movie makers and authors and printers and the sellers thereof. This is a big money maker and as long as people come along to believe and buy, these people will have a stream of income from people so hard up for something to believe in that makes them feel better about themselves.

[ February 10, 2004, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Bob Woods ]

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
I don't know for sure, but I don't believe there is any reference in the bible to the Rapture that explicitly states the things these guys claim. Can anybody provide the reference? I admit that I haven't read it all, but in all the years I spent listening to that stuff, nobody ever showed me a definitive verse of scripture.

The most commone scripture references given for what folks refer to as "the rapture" are 1st Thessalonians 4:15-17 and 1st Corinthians 15:51-53. I won't write them out here. If you don't have a Bible just type the references into your search engine.

For the record, I think the authors of the Left Behind series have some pretty poor interpretations of scripture. But it sells well
rolleyes.gif

Tim

I am a Christian. Anyone who knows me at all well knows what I believe. It is too much a part of who I am to hide. I would have to purposely deceive someone to hide the fact that I am sold out to Jesus.

Having said that, I would not think ill of American if they fired this pilot. There is a time and a place for everything. He chose the wrong time and the wrong place. Pilots are supposed to have great judgement.

This man exhibited very poor judgement. I am flying to Cincinnati tomorrow. If he were a Continental pilot I might be worried!

Tim

Good question on the word rapture.

I'll go with poor judgement. I suppose the pilot is concerned with "redeeming the time" Ephesians 5:15-16, Matthew 24:45, Colossians 4:5 which means "while there is still time" or "buying the opportunity", which is a merchant metaphor for observing the season for trading merchandise.

The problem is he has made two mistakes in following christian bible counsel. Colossians says it best, so I'll quote it:

quote:

5 Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity.
6 Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.

Take off and landing are a very serious business and a tense time for many, not an opporutune time to focus on anything other than the task at hand. His comments would not be wise conduct.

Neither his timing nor his comments seem to be seasoned with salt. It's never good to overlook customs of a non christian, hurt them, or increase their prejudices against religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back