AMD or Intel, which are you using? and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 AMD Desktops in the house and 3 AMD notebooks. I have built many AMD Machines and continue to do so. I'm just an AMD fan myself. Nothing against Intel.

Just bought a 2.5Ghz AMD Athalon 64X2 Brisbane. Why? Price!!! Newegg.com has them for $57.99 out the door with free shipping. These are retail boxed ones so they come with the fans and everything! Now that my friends is a hard deal to pass up! Seeing how in most of the testing I have seen the Intel Core 2Duo's have not produced significantly better performance but cost in the $300 ball park easily. In terms of frame rates and such the number of Video cards being run has the greastest impact on performance even more so then adding more system ram! I was looking at processors below $150 and in the end this represented the best bang for the buck in terms of real world performance and bench marking when you looked at the investment cost and such. In fact this CPU beat out 3.4 Ghz Pentium D Dual Cores costing a lot more. Now mind you it did not beat any of the Core 2 Duo's and such but again the performance advatage was so slight that one really ahs to ask if it is worth the signifacantly higher cost. For me the answer was no.

So I am going to put this in a Gigabyte Ultra Durable II board, with 4 Gb of DDRII ram, windows XP a 500GB SATA hard drive and blue ray burner yada ayda yada and it will do anything I need it to do. I am not sure what Video card i want to go with. I am not a hard core gammer mostly just once in a while but I do like to edit video's and photo's. I do like to watch movies on my PC. So I know I want something that can do a good job with Blue Ray and HD! So hit me up if you have any idea's for a reasonable priced video card that will do a good job with blue ray!

FWIW, the Pentium-D is just a dual-core P4. It's [censored]. The Core-series CPU's are SIGNIFICANTLY faster.

I'd get a lower-end GeForce 9-series or an 8-series card. Great performance, not too much money.

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OverK1LL, I was looking at some of the GeForce cards. ANy particular comapany since their are a lot with the GeForce chipset? I am actualy thinking about some of the older SLI cards and here is why. If I get too cheaper SLI ready cards each with 512MB of DDR2 instead of one supper expensive single card running 512mb-1Gb or DDR3 I can save a boat load of cash and get the performance advantage of two graphics engines running paralle. What do you think? rember I am not a big time gamer but I like to be able to run 1080P and such out to my monitor/TV!

I was looking at one Asus video card that is fanless it relies on a monster heat sink. I was thinking that since I am not a hard core gamer and am not going to push the limits of the graphics card it might work well for me? I like quite. My 950Mgz Thunderbird system hace two fans on the CPU then two in the case and my video card had a fan. It was not as loud as a leaf blower like some gamers joke about but you had to turn the TV up if you wanted to hear it once you powered the PC up. Now my current Desktop is so quite and my laptop is wisper quite as well. These two have spoiled me. I would like to make the unit as quite as I can!

I love those cards, work great in business systems running Vista. Great 3D performance, and minimal fan noise.

That is what I do is mostly business 3D graphics.Once in a while if I am lazy I will watch a movie on my PC instead of fireing up the big screen 1080I!! My computer used to be in the basement so if I had my tea and snacks already with me I would just watch something down their on the desktop!

I am thinking about trying XP transformation software. It basicly makes you XP look like Vista includeing thems,transparent windows and a 3D Flip wich is a Aero inpersanator! Since I spend so much time on this Vista machine I am starting to warm up to it's appearance a bit.

But not enough to put it on your home PC eh?
wink.gif

I remember an old program called Windowblinds, don't know if it's still around, but it allowed you to "skin" windows to look like pretty much anything you wanted.

32.gif
I used Windows Blinds, very nifty stuff. Make sure you read the forums for any gotchas when using the Vista Transformation Pack. v5.5 was the last version I used.

amd opteron 165 o/c to 2.7Ghz. too cheap to upgrade to c2d hah. i use UXtheme patcher to get my skin vista blackish like. doesn't use any programs so no memory wasted.

I have built and owned AMD and Intel hardware, generally I sell AMD and own Intel.

AMD has a lower cost of admission and is good enough in most cases, that is what gives their market share. Intel offers the benefits of in-house developed chipsets (although the ATI purchase has caught AMD up to an extent) and I just find Intel platforms less rough around the edges and kludged than most AMD hardware. Intel is a pressed shirt while AMD is a t-shirt

The PC I am writing this on is a Pentium D 930 (3.0 gHz), which for all intents and purposes is the "big block" of processors. Horribly ineffecient because they just threw energy at it to try and get the performance. I didn't do my homework and wait two weeks to order a Core 2 Duo, and my board's voltage regulator can't do Voltage Regulator Down for a Core 2 chip so it's stuck where it is. Also a BTX board. Machine is sort of a one off because I bought it during a transition, but I'm not crying any harder than the guys who bought Socket 939 boards.

I am not saying Intel hits everything out of the park, I just have better luck with them.

AMD on the desktop, Intel in the servers. In my case, using a bunch of virtualization software, the TSC in the AMD doesn't stay sync'd, resulting in some interesting clock skew in the various VM's.

Clocks are nice and steady with the xeons.

Home PC is AMD, although the replacemnt will be an Intel Quad. Why? Because I can. :)

Fight the Power!!!! Power to the People!!!! Buy AMD stay loyal... Their are ways around the TSC synch issue. I am just glad Microsoft does not make CPU's or Mobo!!!LOL

My laptop PC is an AMD Athlon 64 singleton which is just over two years old and still serves me very well; my desktop machine is also an AMD64 which is now approaching five years of age. The main reasons I went AMD both these times was the performance/price ratio. I do not know what my next machine (desktop/server?) will be but if AMD doesn't get some nitromethane/hydrazine fuel mix into their design and production engines I will likely go Intel, albeit seriously regrettably.

I just made some change to my rig a couple days ago. It used to be as follows.

Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
Opteron dual core 165 clocked to 3.0
big typhoon heatsink and fan
2GB Crucial ballistix PC4000
8800GTX video card
2X 160GB sata 2 drives in raid 0
X-fi platinum sound card
600 watt seasonic power supply
thermaltake tsunami dream case

NOW my rig has........

Asus P5Q motherboard
E84000 Wolfdale cpu clocked at 4.0 (will go to 4.3 and possibly higher with water cooling)
2X2GB (4GB) OCZ Platinum 1066
OCZ Vendetta 2 heatsink and fan
8800GTX video card
2X 160GB sata 2 drives in raid 0
X-fi platinum sound card
600 watt seasonic power supply
thermaltake tsunami dream case

I am a die hard AMD guy and have been for years. When AMD came out with the A64 line they pretty much [censored] slapped Intel in the face. The A64 just killed the poor pentium 4 junk. Even to this day the A64 line still holds its own but the Core 2 does beat it out in every aspect. So I decided to go Intel this go around for a change.

bench.jpg

Last edited:
Nice results!

Mine:

cachememramp345.png

That's 24h prime-stable on all four cores. It won't do stable on a reasonable voltage at 3.6Ghz without the northbridge temp getting ridiculous, so I've left it at 3.45.

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE! When will you getting water cooling?
wink.gif

I just upgraded the wife's PC to an HP Pavilion Quad core 2.4 Q6600 with all the Media Center stuff and a FREE 24" flat panel from New Egg. She was using a 2.8Ghz P4, night & day performance difference!

I think NewEgg is still running the special, $909. It's a refurb, but it's running A-OK. I put Vista x64 Ultimate on there.

AMD was considered, but for the price, it's a great deal.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
NICE! When will you getting water cooling?
wink.gif

I just upgraded the wife's PC to an HP Pavilion Quad core 2.4 Q6600 with all the Media Center stuff and a FREE 24" flat panel from New Egg. She was using a 2.8Ghz P4, night & day performance difference!

I think NewEgg is still running the special, $909. It's a refurb, but it's running A-OK. I put Vista x64 Ultimate on there.

AMD was considered, but for the price, it's a great deal.

Definitely sounds like an excellent deal! The Q6600 is a great bargain for a quad-core, as a good number of them overclock like nails.

I was going to go to water with a heatercore as a rad, but I think I'm going to wait on it for now. I use this system for work, so the downtime involved in fitting all the water blocks and stuff, well, it's not viable at this point in time
frown.gif

Currently I'm just running a Coolermaster Hyper 212 HSF that I picked up for 30 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back