Aluminum gasket on oil pan plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda Odyssey has an aluminum gasket on the oil pan plug. The owners manual says to replace it with a new one every oil change. I have been doing that, but I wonder why the one time gasket. Every other vehicle I have owned had a plastic gasket, or no gasket at all.

Maybe they are hoping you would buy a genuine Honda gasket at the dealer every time and help keep them and Honda in endless income.

You are probably right. However, I buy mine at the local NAPA store. I don't recall the price, but they are cheap. Honda dealers probably charge a lot more. Now I wonder what would happen if I re-use one of them?

I reuse them on my sisters Pilot's differential, oil, and trans plugs. I have at least 5 or 6 uses on them already and no problems.

Same thing with my Mom's CRV. You can reuse them.

I used to replace the AL crush washer each time on my Subaru but, the Mazda has a solid AL washer. I reuse the solid one several times before replacing. I just buy a bag of, I think 10, at my dealer. I suspose, I could spend time looking at hardware or AP stores and save a few cents per washer.

Originally Posted By: rk1407
I reuse them on my sisters Pilot's differential, oil, and trans plugs. I have at least 5 or 6 uses on them already and no problems.

Same thing with my Mom's CRV. You can reuse them.

OK, thanks.

some times a spark plug casket will fit. many many years ago i bought a 100 ct box of AC spark plug gaskets. and my chrysler 1958 392"hemi, now long gone. . the gasket was to be removed cause the AL tube had a flange that replaced the gasket.

They want you to replace them on that Honda because, at least the oil drain plug, is 29-33 ft.lbs. torque. After a few times of that the aluminium starts getting squished out. Ive seen them where the gasket mushroomed out around the head of the plug. I often just end up replacing both the plug and gasket more often than not because even if they are not that bad they are often melded into the threads instead of being slightly loose.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
They want you to replace them on that Honda because, at least the oil drain plug, is 29-33 ft.lbs. torque. After a few times of that the aluminium starts getting squished out. Ive seen them where the gasket mushroomed out around the head of the plug. I often just end up replacing both the plug and gasket more often than not because even if they are not that bad they are often melded into the threads instead of being slightly loose.

I can attest to the mushroomed aluminum washer. The drain plug on my Legend transmission was like this. Luckily, I was able to unthread the washer off of the plug.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
They want you to replace them on that Honda because, at least the oil drain plug, is 29-33 ft.lbs. torque. After a few times of that the aluminium starts getting squished out. Ive seen them where the gasket mushroomed out around the head of the plug.

That's the primary reason why. Eventually the washer metal gets displaced to the point where it's actually clamped around the threads, and may be difficult to remove from the bolt.

A lot of times you get the washer free at the dealer when you buy an oil filter. I walk next door to talk to the old guys at the Volvo/GMC/Buick dealer next door to pick up filters for my R car and they throw in as many washers as I want.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
A lot of times you get the washer free at the dealer when you buy an oil filter.

Lucky you. Mine cost 50¢ each. That extra buck or so a year is a real bank-breaker, I tell ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back