Alternatives to Hyundai/Kia OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 00Max00
How much more would cost them just to make the filters a little bigger? I don't understand OEMs suddenly all have agreement on using tiny filters on new cars.

I think it has a lot to do with newer engines being more efficient and cleaner running than those of yesterday so the larger filter isn't needed. I always thought my z71 had a tiny filter compared to older Chevys but I've never seen one dirty on the inside like the older ones would do.

Quote:
How much more would cost them just to make the filters a little bigger? I don't understand OEMs suddenly all have agreement on using tiny filters on new cars.

Actually the H/K spec size, the 14459/9688/3593A/51334 application size is relatively speaking not that small. It is the size Honda used on majority pre 2001-02 Hondas before going to the 14610/7317/57356 size.

However, if one were to take an H/K vehicle to a quick lube or indie using jobber filters, it is possible and even very likely that the filter used will be downsized through consolidation to the shorty/thimble size 14612/6607/51365 size. That is two application sizes smaller, completely skipping the 14610/7317 size mentioned earlier. Now that's small imo.

Linked below is a recent posted example using a Service Champ 4622 filter on a 2014 Elantra where this occurred.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._7,#Post3711336

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I may be wrong, but I believe Hyundai / Kia only have one spin on filter. Unless your car requires a cartridge type, you can't get the wrong one.

you are wrong. we have at least 5 different spin-on filters at the dealership.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I may be wrong, but I believe Hyundai / Kia only have one spin on filter. Unless your car requires a cartridge type, you can't get the wrong one.

you are wrong. we have at least 5 different spin-on filters at the dealership.

What are the part numbers /applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back