All You Guys That Think OEM Recommended 16 or 20 Weight...

oil is too thin and want to move up to a 30 or 40 weight oil for "better protection" might want to consider this:

"Contributing factors that can cause oil pressure and lubrication problems in an engine include:

5. Bearing clearances too tight for the oil viscosity being used. Late model engines such as a Chevy LS or Ford modular V8 with tighter main and rod bearing clearances of .0015˝ to .002˝ usually require a thin multi-viscosity motor oil such as 5W-20. Fill the crankcase with a relatively thick racing oil and you’ll have problems right from the start. Tighter bearing clearances require thinner oils..." https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/03/engine-bearing-technology-spin-spun-bearings/

oil is too thin and want to move up to a 30 or 40 weight oil for "better protection" might want to consider this:

"Contributing factors that can cause oil pressure and lubrication problems in an engine include:

5. Bearing clearances too tight for the oil viscosity being used. Late model engines such as a Chevy LS or Ford modular V8 with tighter main and rod bearing clearances of .0015˝ to .002˝ usually require a thin multi-viscosity motor oil such as 5W-20. Fill the crankcase with a relatively thick racing oil and you’ll have problems right from the start. Tighter bearing clearances require thinner oils..." https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/03/engine-bearing-technology-spin-spun-bearings/

Boy, wait until they see winter then! I'm amazed every single Ford and Chev doesn't seize solid when we see -30C then.

Temperature has a far, FAR greater impact on viscosity than what you see as the grade on the bottle. Engines simply are not that sensitive to viscosity; they can't be, otherwise, when it gets cold, they'd all blow-up. Since they don't, and since Canada doesn't have dozers out pushing all the failed engines off the road in Alberta when it's -40C, it's pretty safe to conclude that this is a REALLY bad take.

Boy, wait until they see winter then! I'm amazed every single Ford and Chev doesn't seize solid when we see -30C then.

Temperature has a far, FAR greater impact on viscosity than what you see as the grade on the bottle. Engines simply are not that sensitive to viscosity; they can't be, otherwise, when it gets cold, they'd all blow-up. Since they don't, and since Canada doesn't have dozers out pushing all the failed engines off the road in Alberta when it's -40C, it's pretty safe to conclude that this is a REALLY bad take.
Hey, don't argue with me. I'm simply quoting from an article in enginebuildingmag.com.

The rod bearing clearances for a 1959 Alfa Romeo are .0005"-.00196" and specified SAE 40 and 50 oils.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Ed

Hey, don't argue with me. I'm simply quoting from an article in enginebuildingmag.com.
There’s some element of truth here - Honda was very adamant 0W-20 is to be exclusively used on the 1st generation Insight and all the Civic Hybrids. The oil clearances were tight.

However, like OVERKILL said - temperature doesn’t affect oil as it seems. The oil weight system doesn’t “correspond” with temperature. And when it does get cold, you should really invest in an oil/block heater. Otherwise, lots of rods would have been thrown in the winter time with even 5W-xx oils.

Gee, I've been running a 40 or 50 grade in an engine spec'd for a 20 for the last 50k with multiple daily 7000 RPM pulls on the highway, sometimes at 80-100mph. If the oil couldn't fit in those small clearances I would have surely thrown a rod by now.

Also a fun note, my oil pressure light goes off much faster (less than half a second) after an oil change with a 40 or 50. Used to take several seconds with 5w20 or 5w30.

threadCapture.JPG

Watch out!, this post will get closed. Some things cant be debated on BITOG. thin vs thick is one of them i guess. (Search they say) or (beating a dead horse on thin vs thick)
Borrowed time this thread is on. Might just wanna close it down now....

I just asked a question on this yesterday, and by mid afternoon - closed. I should of searched first.... My bad. ;)

2021 Toyota YarisCross Hybrid.
M15A-FXE.
1.5L 3Cylinder.
Dynamic Force.
FI/GDI Computer Controlled.
Oil Spec 0W8.
Which indicates that by whatever mechanism the engine is capable of running that grade of oil. In the context of this thread, it does not indicate that the engine would be damaged by a heavier grade. You could run a 40-grade oil in that engine all day long and it would not damage it.

Back