All IC engines burn oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I say I just don't believe people who say they see no noticeable level change after a 10K OCI.

Captain

You can't change the laws of physics.

We have people like this in my neighborhood. Their house doesn't have any ants, spiders, termites, roof has never leaked a drop, yada yada yada. They think they're creating a better resale value. Used car salesman stuff. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and only driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady.

While we are splitting hairs, I wonder how much oil gets consumed on a dip stick rag everytime the oil is checked. I'm sure not much on one check, but if someone were obsessive and checked it very frequently, it would probably add up over the course of an oil change interval. That might be mistaken for consumption by the engine.

Originally Posted By: garyb80
While we are splitting hairs, I wonder how much oil gets consumed on a dip stick rag everytime the oil is checked. I'm sure not much on one check, but if someone were obsessive and checked it very frequently, it would probably add up over the course of an oil change interval. That might be mistaken for consumption by the engine.

When I was a teen, and working at a gas station, the owner would tell me, "Ole' Missus Brown's car don't use no oil. But she wants it checked, anyway.....So wipe the dipstick a couple of times each fillup, and maybe we can sell her a quart, before her next change!"

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
And I say I just don't believe people who say they see no noticeable level change after a 10K OCI.

Captain

We have people like this in my neighborhood. Their house doesn't have any ants, spiders, termites, roof has never leaked a drop, yada yada yada. They think they're creating a better resale value. Used car salesman stuff. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and only driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady.

Maybe I should get the Nobel Peace Prize for physics then. I will agree that every engine uses some small amount of oil at least, but I was right on the full mark before and after my 9400 mile OCI and had no measurable fuel or solids in the oil.

Captain

Man... good think you mentioned that. I need to get the pest control place out. My engine is FULL of ants. You'd think the spiders in there would eat them, but no.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I'm about 3500 miles into my current OCI, and I still see no noticeable drop. This engine has 196,000 miles on it currently, is driven approximately 75 highway miles per day @ 70-80mph, 5 days / week. I would think that if an engine would be prone to consuming oil, this would be a good example. Fact is, it's not consuming any appreciable amount.

Am I bragging? No. Just stating the facts.

196K miles and it doesn't consume oil.

Ok, Do I hear anyone with a 500k mile engine that doesn't burn any oil?

Going once going twice. Anything is possible on the internet.

I've got a 500000km ford van with a 4.9 that doesn't noticebly consume any oil between yearly changes. Lots of idle time. All city driving with a little freeway and so loaded it's almost pulling wheelies.

Not that I put any stock in anything you write however I felt since you asked I'd give an honest answer

And you're right in that anything is possible on the Internet including you being an engineer.
Cracks me up.

Choochoo

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I'm about 3500 miles into my current OCI, and I still see no noticeable drop. This engine has 196,000 miles on it currently, is driven approximately 75 highway miles per day @ 70-80mph, 5 days / week. I would think that if an engine would be prone to consuming oil, this would be a good example. Fact is, it's not consuming any appreciable amount.

Am I bragging? No. Just stating the facts.

196K miles and it doesn't consume oil.

Ok, Do I hear anyone with a 500k mile engine that doesn't burn any oil?

Going once going twice. Anything is possible on the internet.

I've got a 500000km ford van with a 4.9 that doesn't noticebly consume any oil between yearly changes. Lots of idle time. All city driving with a little freeway and so loaded it's almost pulling wheelies.

Not that I put any stock in anything you write however I felt since you asked I'd give an honest answer

And you're right in that anything is possible on the Internet including you being an engineer.
Cracks me up.

Choochoo

You also think a $9 can of moly additive increases your mileage 20%. There's just no reasoning with someone who believes things like that. Not GED material much less college material. Clevy math there.

At low rpm the rings and pistons account for most of the friction losses inside an engine, by a wide margin.

That's exactly where MoS2 will help a lot, it's easy to reduce the friction losses in boundary lubrication conditions with a solid lubricant. More so in bigger engines with more cylinders.

If you drive relatively high rpm, the pistons and rings will be in elastohydraulic and hydraulic lubrication for large portions of the stroke, so there's less to gain. The gains also get lost in the noise if the loads on the engine are high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back