All confused about coolant now......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently looking at Coolant at Wal-Mart. Seems the Prestone Long Life, and the Prestone DEXCOOL coolants have the exact same ingredients. What is the difference?

Also, why does the Pre-mixed Coolant cost less, and why would someone still use the kind you have to mix with water?

It is the same, try Peak. The full strength will make two gallons of pre-mix with a gallon of distilled water.

Originally Posted By: 229
It is the same, try Peak. The full strength will make two gallons of pre-mix with a gallon of distilled water.
Peak Long life is OAT same as Dexcool

People still use undiluted coolant because sometimes it's necessary to use the the type you mix with water to create a mixture that is, perhaps, 60% antifreeze/40% water for colder climates.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Also, why does the Pre-mixed Coolant cost less, and why would someone still use the kind you have to mix with water?

It costs less because it contains only half as much ethylene glycol. Unless a gallon of pre-mix costs half of what a gallon of pure antifreeze plus a gallon of distilled water costs, it's overpriced. And it always is, from what I've seen.

Also, I tend to mix to 55/45 for my climate. I've never seen 50/50 gel, but apparently it can at only -35F so I go with a little higher concentration just to be sure.

In addition. Pre-mix is a 50/50 mix and since you only get ~ 90% of the drained and flushed with water. The per-mix becomes something like 40%/60% H2o on the refill. Pre-mix should be considerably cheaper since it is 50% water but, near me it is almost the same cost. A gouge in my opinion. I consider it OK for top up only. Ed

I almost always mix my own.....no problems there
wink.gif
The neighbors look at me funny, but eh, [censored]....why pay so much for 1 gallon of 50/50 when you can get distilled water for 53cents or something and make your own mix. Besides that, I like to go a little less on the coolant, more on the water, since down here in FL, we don't really have to worry too much about freezing...

Well, I just don't see where the coolant that said DEXCOOL on it had any different ingredients than the Supertech or Prestone coolants that said "mix with any color, and use in any make/model."

Last edited:

because its a much better deal. with the non-mixed stuff, you mix it to make 2 gallons, as opposed to the 1 gallon of premixed you get. unless the pre-mixed is literally half the price of the non-mixed, your getting a better deal with the non-mixed

Last edited:
There are more suitable coolants to use, depending on your application. What is it that you're working on?

Because pre mix is only 1/2 gallon of antifreeze. The full strength is only a little more and is twice as much antifreeze.

Okay, let's say you do a drain and 'rinse'. You install 50/50 premix. Assuming your coolant system is under pressure and no evaporation occurs at a noticeable rate, wouldn't the presence of even 50/50 in the overflow tank(for those apps) all evaporation of the water content to make it stronger than 50/50(60/40 or more ratio of the coolant:water)?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
There are more suitable coolants to use, depending on your application. What is it that you're working on?

I just want to know why the ingredients for Dexcool Prestone are the same for the "all Application" Prestone.

That's a good question. One that only Prestone can answer accurately. A guess would be that they figure that 2 EHA is the "most" compatible with other chemistries, or they figure that Dex has a great enough OEM usage that 2 EHA would serve well enough?

Like I said before though, there is likely a better product for you. But then again, I'm not a big fan of "All Makes, All Models" coolants.

just go with final chatge it has no 2 eha that dexcool had and caused problems...again final charge is free of nitrites,phos,borates and silicates and above all is very heavy duty and will give you the ultimate protection!!!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Peak Long life is OAT same as Dexcool

Thanks for that info. What, if any, is the difference between Peak Long Life and Peak Global? I have heard good things about Peak Global, but haven't seen it anywhere here in Canada, and certainly not even at Napa. What's the scoop in Ontario?

Thanks for that. I haven't seen any type of Peak at the local Walmarts, and only Peak Long Life at Canadian Tire. The label on the back is far from helpful. Even Prestone does a better job of listing at least one or two specs. At least the Peak website is a bit more helpful than the label.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Okay, let's say you do a drain and 'rinse'. You install 50/50 premix. Assuming your coolant system is under pressure and no evaporation occurs at a noticeable rate, wouldn't the presence of even 50/50 in the overflow tank(for those apps) all evaporation of the water content to make it stronger than 50/50(60/40 or more ratio of the coolant:water)?

When you mix the two you in fact raise the boiling point and hence the evaporation loss of the water. This is not perfectly correct but the evaporation status is not an issue for changing the concentration to any measurable degree.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday

because its a much better deal. with the non-mixed stuff, you mix it to make 2 gallons, as opposed to the 1 gallon of premixed you get. unless the pre-mixed is literally half the price of the non-mixed, your getting a better deal with the non-mixed

You might want to rethink that. mixing doesn't just lower freezing point, it also raises boiling point. So a stronger mixture would protect in hot weather because the cooling system would have a tougher time getting rid of heat.

fiddler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back