Aisin Honda water pump any good?

Maybe your Aisin problems are specific to that particular model? I like Aisin for my Honda. I like Aisin for my Volvos. Just finished timing belt on the ‘04 Volvo S80 over the weekend. The original pump (made in 2003) was branded Aisin and Volvo, while the new one was branded Aisin, but had the Volvo name ground off. (See pic)
754D101E-670B-48FC-B6F8-623F09536830.jpeg
The original pump had 226K miles on it and it was operating great (smooth, quiet, no leaks). Pretty sure the pump could have gone another 100K, but the new Aisin Timing Belt Kit came with a new Aisin WP, INA idler and INA tensioner, and Gates belt. Looking forward to another 200K+ miles.

My only complaint is the life of the pump. I service the coolant, do all the regular stuff. How many miles have you gotten out of Aisin water pumps? Curious... Thanks in advance.

I was an Aisin fanboi... Still am I guess. Who the heck knows; it's just a dang water pump, right? All good.
Well in fairness I change the water pump with every timing belt change, so it is usually about 100,000 miles, give or take.

But on my old ECHO with a timing chain it has been longer. I changed out the water pump a while back just because it had never been changed, the old one looked fine though.

Over the past decade, I have installed AISIN timing belt kits with AISIN water pumps in four Honda J35s and one F23 engine. All have gone over 100,000 miles since then, with one reaching 180,000 miles (yes, waaaay overdue) with no component failure other than one slightly leaky hydraulic tensioner. Count me as an AISIN fanboy based upon actual personal experience, not innuendo.

FYI, the Honda Element we bought new in 2003 has the mighty K24 engine with >273,000 miles on the original OEM (Yamada?) water pump. Honda OEM parts are top shelf, but AISIN is high quality aftermarket.

Aisin is just a name/co that I use as a benchmark- is there better? Sure as shyt there is worse product out there. Most jobs on my honda and toyota's are a pita that I want to do once......

Sad to see Aisin pumps not doing well with Honda :(

The OEM pump is $95 from this Honda dealer. It could also be cheaper from other online Honda dealers. Please don't buy it from eBay or Amazon unless it's sold from AND shipped by a dealer. Sometimes dealers actually do sell on Amazon (for example, I've seen Amazon listings sold and shipped by Lee Honda in Maine)

Do you remember if the original factory pump was made by Aisin? Even if a new one from the dealer is made by Yamada now, the original installed in 2006 could've been from Aisin. These problems could've been why Honda switched suppliers.

Since Aisin is Toyota, maybe they intentionally sabotage their Honda water pumps :sneaky: :ROFLMAO:

Aisin pumps seem to be fine for non-Honda Japanese cars.

Would you trust another aftermarket WP for the K24? GMB? NPW? Airtex? Carter? Maybe there's this GMB water pump on eBay if you don't want to spend $100 at the dealer. If GMB still makes them in Japan, you can just order a new one from Rock Auto or a similar site. Otherwise, that ebay listing will guarantee a Japan-made GMB. I don't think GMB is counterfeited as much as Aisin. Confirm with GMB if it's still made in Japan :cautious:

Partsgeek has the NPW water pump. Partsgeek is a reputable site and uses Worldpac.
I stay away from any Airtex or Carter. IMO, just another Dorman. YMMV

Yesterday I R&R'ed the Aisin Water Pump on our 2006 Acura TSX, mighty K24, 221K
This is the 2nd time I replaced the pump; the previous one lasted 77K and perhaps 8 years. Weird. Was starting to grind a little...

Afterwards, I YouTubed a few videos about aftermarket Honda K24 pumps. One showed the fins being a little shorter than the OE pump. Also, the aftermarket pump had straight fins while the OE had a small 90* bend to pull more fluid.

Here is the pump I used last time and again this time. It looks just like the aftermarket pump in the YT video. Feeling a little short changed... I have no idea how much the pump would cost from Acura...
Your thoughts?
View attachment 200745
I just had a aisin water pump fail after 2 years and 25k kms.
Got the kit from Rock Auto.

Weird. My 03 accord with the k24 had the original water pump till I traded it in at 270something thousand miles. That is unless the original owner ever replaced it before I bought it at 90k.

Weird. My 03 accord with the k24 had the original water pump till I traded it in at 270something thousand miles. That is unless the original owner ever replaced it before I bought it at 90k.
My hindsight is pretty darn good. 8 years ago I shoulda drove over to Acura and bought the pump from them.

Back