air compressor oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the normal capacity for a 2 stage 5 HP compressor. Under 2 QTs. (Not 2 cylinder, 2 stage).

I drained it using my MityVac 7201 but forgot to empty the MityVac first so now I am not sure how much I got out. I think between 1 and 2 QTs.

Any favorites? Mobil Ravus 427? Some Sta-Lube that is a little cheaper? IR synthetic? Looking on Amazon.

if you want to know exact volume, I would check with the manufacturer or google the spec sheet for the compressor pump.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the volume. Fill it back up till it reaches the mark on the dipstick or by the oil sight glass.

I have always used SA rated dino oil. Works well for me even when I lived for many years in the mid-west. Wallyworld carries it for $2 a qt.

It depends on the compressor. I'd suggest a synthetic if it's in an unheated area.

FYI, 2 stage is a 2 cylinder.

Last edited:
Is it an inline twin or a v-twin.
Our 5.5 gas powered inline twins take 3/4s of a quart,the v-twins are closer to 7/8s of a quart.
As far as compressor oil goes I use amsoil. From -30 to 35c amsoil is the only oil I will use in the pumps now.
Over 25 years using air compressors to make a living I've found that amsoil allows them to start faster,the pumps last longer in service and I change it every 6 months whereas the nd-30 I used to use was shot in 30 working days.

Most are under 2QT
Amsoil
Royal Purple Synfilm Recip 100 Jeg's should have it and free shipping.
IR T-30 select

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Over 25 years using air compressors to make a living I've found that amsoil allows them to start faster,the pumps last longer in service and I change it every 6 months whereas the nd-30 I used to use was shot in 30 working days.

Clevy,
Pardon my ignorance. I usually change my compressor oil every 2-3 years but that is with minimal usage. Weekend mechanic.
How do you determine if the oil is shot? Did you send it out for UOA? If you say dino SA oil depletes in 30 days, I am wondering if I am not changing out out as frequently as I should?

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
It depends on the compressor. I'd suggest a synthetic if it's in an unheated area.

Yes, 2 stage is 2 cylinder, but 2 cylinder is not always 2 stage.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted

Clevy,
Pardon my ignorance. I usually change my compressor oil every 2-3 years but that is with minimal usage. Weekend mechanic.
How do you determine if the oil is shot? Did you send it out for UOA? If you say dino SA oil depletes in 30 days, I am wondering if I am not changing out out as frequently as I should?

I do not use the compressor all that much. But it has not been changed in 20+ years and looked like new coming out.

Originally Posted By: Donald

What is Max PSI you run the pump up.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: Donald

What is Max PSI you run the pump up.

150 PSI.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted

Clevy,

If your compressor is indoors every few years is fine. Your compressors don't work like mine do.
My compressors run off a gas motor. So the pump is always compressing air. When my tanks fall below 110psi the valve pops and the air is directed into the tanks to raise the tank psi. Once tank pressure hits 140psi the valve pops again and the compressor just flows the air its pumping into the atmosphere.
So my compressors pump air all day long,yours only pumps air til the tanks are full then it shuts off until the tank pressure falls low enough to require replenishing.
So depending on your useage your compressor only turns on for a minute or 2 at a time then shuts off,mine run all day,so in a year you might accumulate the same amount of run time as mine do in a week,so that needs to be considered.
My electric compressors are used for trim and basements and are used indoors. I consider amsoil a lifetime fill in those ones because in a workday the compressor might run a total of 30 minutes.
So in a week that's 2.5 hours, maybe 3. In a month maybe 70 total running hours.
Iirc the amsoil compressor oil I use either says 4000 or 8000 hours. So on my electric compressors either its 5 years or 10 years before requiring a change,so basically a lifetime fill.
My gas powered ones run from 8-10 hours a day which equals 200+ hours a month and roughly 2400 hours a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back