AI update to Van Gogh's Starry Night

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Adobe Photoshop has a new feature (Firefly) where you can expand an image with generative content created by AI.

Here is Starry Night and what Firefly does when asked to expand the frame. Rarely does technology impress me anymore but this is one of those examples:

Starry Night.jpg

Starry Night Updated.png

Attachments

• Starry Night.jpg
    Starry Night.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 15
Interesting.

Speaking of generative AI, we were recently at the Stockholm National Museum of Science and Technology. On display there they have "The Impossible Statue," a sculpture created by AI after it was trained by studying the art of Michelangelo, Rodin, Käthe Kollwitz, Takamura Kotaro, and Augusta Savage.

Why did the AI add a windmill?
It's the other way around. The expanded frame is first, the windmill is in the original. That "got me" for a few minutes too. ;)
Ohhhhh nooooo I am wrong ... yeah ... why was the windmill added?
Im confused ... but ... I tend to do that to myself sometimes *LOL*

Ok, I get it now, "expand the frame" means draw more into the original "expand" the image to include more. AI thought a windmill would be a nice addition.

Someday AI will hypnotize the human race and we will all be drones of the machine. :unsure:

Last edited:
Why did the AI add a windmill?
Ok, I get it now, "expand the frame" means draw more into the original "expand" the image to include more. AI thought a windmill would be a nice addition.
I was perplexed by that as well. There is a prompt where I can ask firefly to add additional context or what to do when additional area is added to the original image. I could write “add an airplane next to the moon “ but I simply wrote one word, expand. Interesting result.

I am "impressed" by how awful it is as art, though I guess adequate as a general image field expansion.

I don't know what would be worse, teh addition of a cell tower or this Modern windmill on a non-existent power grid

Back