Affluenza Teen and Mom: Fugitives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who'd have guessed it? A teen allegedly suffering from a "disorder", in which he believes that his wealth allows him to evade consequences, is given probation for slaughtering 4 human beings. Now his mother is protecting him from facing the music for violating probation and going to jail.

I wonder where he ever got this craaaaaazy idea that money protects you from consequences?

This is probably the sorriest action of the criminal justice system ever. Best justice system that money can buy.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/12/...sons-list.html/

Quote:
The mother of the teenager whose “affluenza” defense spared him jail time after he killed four people while driving drunk has been listed as a missing person, authorities say.

Authorities have said they think Tonya Couch is with her son, who is suspected of violating his probation.

The U.S. Marshals Service joined the search for 18-year-old Ethan Couch, who recently failed to check in with his probation officer. The marshals are offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information on Couch’s whereabouts.

Authorities have said they fear he may have left the country with his mother, who was added to a list of missing persons Sunday, a spokeswoman with the Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office said.

The juvenile-justice equivalent of an arrest warrant was issued Tuesday for Ethan Couch.

If authorities determine Tonya Couch played a role in her son’s disappearance she could face criminal charges.

Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson has said Couch’s father, Fred Couch, told investigators that he hasn’t heard from his son or ex-wife in about two weeks.

Couch received 10 years’ probation last year in his intoxication manslaughter case after a psychologist testified he suffered from “affluenza” because his family’s wealth and a dysfunctional relationship with his parents left him without a sense of responsibility.

Violating the terms of his probation could result in a jail sentence of up to 10 years, the district attorney’s office has said.

In addition to local authorities and the U.S. marshals, a FBI spokeswoman confirmed the agency has also been in contact with the county sheriff’s office and is “looking at ways we can assist.”

Anyone with information about the case may call the U.S. Marshals Service at 800-336-0102.

...I can't believe there is such a defense.

side note: the guy does look like a joke, if money didn't protect him, I don't know what will, he is THE target for bullies. Imagine this guy in jail...

A "psychologist" testified that he suffered from "affluenza"? Frankly, any psychologist that spouts such nonsense should lose their license. It's simply more junk science that shifts the burden of personal responsibility away from parents and children, and the sentence of probation was a slap in the face to every responsible parent everywhere.

It's no surprise that the mother and kid don't have enough personal integrity to stand up and bear the consequences for their actions, and instead choose to run and hide like roaches.

Hopefully they did leave the country. Even in Texas they bought into the story that he didn't know right from wrong, and he was given a very unfitting sentence for his crimes of killing 4 others.

He will screw up again regardless of where he his living now. Other countries have the common sense that a crime is a crime and he will eventually get his just reward.

As for Karma (which I am a big believer in!)

Last edited:
I think the media is far more interested in this guy then federal agencies are. Federal response is to keep up with media.

Horrid case.

On the contrary, Staying out of jail is working so far. It kind of infers that yes, money and connections mean more than the rule of law. There are some uncomfortable truths here.

He has money and that enables him to afford a great defense... He will walk as most with money for great Lawyers do.
Im sure he has political influence and if he does its a no brainer unless someone throws the wrench in and decides they must make an example out of him. This is the way it is in the real world.

I went to HS with a kid who was generally a pretty nice guy, but his dad was a neurosurgeon and their affluence went to his head somewhat. His first car after getting his license was a good sized, late model Benz sedan, and this kid drove around like he felt other people had to get out of his way because of what he was driving. The first time I drove with him, he blew through a stop sign a block from my house and swore at the people who didn't yield to him...I pointed out that there was a police station at that corner and they were not going to be impressed by his car if they caught him doing that.
It was really only behind the wheel that he acted like that, but the transformation was amazing to me. I'm sure his parents would have thrown money at the situation if he had hurt people with that MB, and it probably would have worked. That kid is a doctor now himself...no clue if he still drives like he is the King Feces of Defecation Island.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Who does this kid think he is, Ted Kennedy?

At least Ted only killed some gal who was stupid enough to go out with him!!!

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Who does this kid think he is, Ted Kennedy?

That's quite a reach to think he could aspire to that level of dung.

The funny thing is, the video doesn't show him doing anything actually violating his parole... So he could've just met with his officer and continued on.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The funny thing is, the video doesn't show him doing anything actually violating his parole... So he could've just met with his officer and continued on.

The video shows him present at a party where some clearly underage people are drinking. That would likely get his parole revoked.

There is no need for a "beyond reasonable doubt" verdict of whether he was doing anything wrong in the video because that is not how parole works. He's already been convicted of drunk driving and is out on the street strictly because of the court's good graces. All it takes is for a judge to think that the world would be a better place with him in jail and there is where he goes.

He's changed his name to Chester Field, his mom is Settee Lounge.

He sounds like someone with borderline personality disorder...cure might be 30-60 years in maximum.

Curious how you don't need to surrender your passport when you're on probation. I'm just as curious as to why that doesn't get you added to a 'no-fly' list.

As far as a defense, is this any weirder than the 'twinkie' defense ?

I got "victimized" by an affluenza kid wrecking his parents bought Euro sports car his parents bought into thru/my garage at ripe age of 15 no license a few years back.

The only saving grace was the garage is quite amazing now with expensive shelving systems, sheetrock, spray foam insulation(I used expando foam so somehow it was viewed as existing), driveway resealed fixed, dead bushes replaced, (father in laws) old tools replaced brand new with modern stuff. The insurance freaked at snap on tool tray of father in laws I have brand new now. Old one got fixed. We also had pile of clothing donations that were replaced brand new from kids.

Interestingly I was encourage by insurance adjuster to claim it all.....

Nothing happened except delay in license. He must have learned his lesson as he drives another more expensive euro sports car.

Originally Posted By: andyd
On the contrary, Staying out of jail is working so far. It kind of infers that yes, money and connections mean more than the rule of law. There are some uncomfortable truths here.

Yep. 30 years in prison if he was black and poor.

My college friend I lost touch with killed someone in DUI wrong way. He got one year manslaughter as judge did not think he belonged in jail as successful engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back