advice-side by side atv's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at side by side ATV's for general use, plowing snow and riding around some back roads and spilly cuts. Anyone advice, experience with them appreciated. Thanks.

My best advise is to stray from the norm, and wear a helmet.
thumbsup2.gif

I'd wait until the Hondas come out ('08). Car-like (hydraulic) transmission instead of BELT (everybody except Kubota and Bobcat use a belt, as far as I know).

That said, my dad has a 3510 Mule (Kawasaki). Not fuel injected, but it runs OK. I'd buy it over the Yamaha for "work", however, he's not entirely pleased. The pedals are too close together.

Wear a helmet if you can.

The mules are, IMO, almost indestructible but they aren't as fast as some of the others. A Mule with a Diesel would be my choice today, otherwise a Good Hard look at a Honda. I've had ATVs and such and, well, there ain't nothing like a Honda.

BTW - the mule will places most others won't but does not have lots of clearance - in the snow an ATV is much better. The mule is also incredibly stable.

The Rhino is more ATV-like but suffers from less stability.

Wouldn't buy a John Deere for nothing - family has one and the Kawasaki engine is the only good bit about it. Polaris? Maybe, but not for me.

The yamaha has a nice engine. The kawi's engine is nice, too, but I don't have *firsthand* experience with the Yamaha.

Take a look at a Polaris Ranger. Fun to drive but performs very well as a work/utility. I am not sure if the new RZR will be able to have a plow mounted to it, but it is by far the most fun side by side to drive...the Japanese don't even come close in suspension/chassis design. That being said, the Rhino is a very nice machine also and has the Japanese reliability.

I feel that the Ranger is the best choice for dual purpose (fun/utility). The John Deere/Kubota/Mule are all to much utility to have any fun with.

I vote for the 700 rhino. They have twice the aftermarket following than all other side by sides combined. Honda is introducing a big red side by side but Honda usually gets into a segment by releasing a lesser machine years after the competition, and then charge more for it.

I seriously doubt the Yamaha has 2x the aftermarket following than all others combined (there are about 15+ of them). What bearing does the size of an aftermarket have, anyway? Harley has a huge aftermarket but they aren't largely considered to have nearly the quality that the Japanese have.

As an analogue, let us assume that one wants to buy a sportbike. Because Harley has a large aftermarket following that makes it the best sportbike manufacturer? That's just silly.

My inlaws have a Ranger that has been back to the shop a whole bunch. They also have a bunch of other Polaris equipment and some Honda, too. The Honda has been, by far, the most trouble free.

My own experience with Honda ATVs seems to suggest that, from a durability perspective, there isn't anything better.

This isn't a urination contest but suggesting flat-out that Honda gets into a segment late and with a lesser, more expensive machine sounds like a Honda-hater to me.

I've had a number of ATVs over the years and I'd rather have a Honda than anything else, but a Suzuki comes real close. I use my ATVs for WORK WORK and more WORK doing things their designers probably never intended. I cannot fault either Suzuki or Honda for the machines I've had, and the Mule is even more work oriented than most.

No manufacturer is a hammer for every nail, and different manufacturers make hammers of differing purpose - some more well suited to some problems than the others.

One thing to consider is that I *think* only John Deere makes a 6 wheeled ATV.

I agree - if you are looking for more sport than work, don't look at the Mule (or Kubota, or Deere). I don't know much about the Ranger except my inlaws' trouble with it and the Yamaha is much more sport-oriented than the others. I'm sure it's a fine machine in that respect but it's not as work-oriented, either.

Not a honda hater (brother bought a honda sport quad based on my recommendation) but I would like to see them put their tremendous resources towards some much needed engineering in the atv market rather then just selling all of their atv's based on reputation. They make a reliable atv but no more reliable than most other japanese makes. In fact the only quad that I ride with that ever breaks down is a 2004 honda 300 4X4. When I say aftermarket following I mean performance and appearance aftermarket parts. I stand by my previous claim that the rhino has twice the aftermarket following. I for one put alot of importance on the availability aftermarket parts. Who wants to spend all of their money buying extremely overpriced accesories from the manufacturer when you could buy from aftermarket companies for much less. The product is often better too.

Anyways OP, if you would allow yourself to be seen in this you are a braver man than I.
37.gif

HondaBigRed_Red.jpg

Last edited:
Cephas - we all have opinions on these. Here's mine.

I would encourage you to sit down and actually make up a Needs versus Wants list for the UTV, then see how the pros/cons of each brand fit in. Think about how it needs to work for you: how much to haul, tow, carry, how many people to get in it, how much ground clearance, 2wd or 4wd, lights? Roll cage? serviceability? If you have water to cross, how sealed is the trans and engine? Keep thinking and thinking and add to your list.

I have a Bristors Trail Wagon UTV. You can get these at farm supply stores like me. It was inexpensive, it's 2WD, and all I do is ride it next door for fireside beer rants and taking the trash out down my 1/2 mile long driveway. I don't "work" mine hard at all, it fit my needs, and it was inexpensive, and with a Honda engine, it will last longer than I.

But ... If I were going to ride like it was a sport machine, then the new Polaris Razor or Yamaha Rhino are tops. They can do work, but they excel at play.

The "work" machines are the Ranger, Mule, Bobcat, some John Deere's and others. I have two friends with Rangers; perfect for their use. Big farms where they need the speed, suspension, ground clearance, water-fording ability, carry capacity, the plastic bed will never rust, their fuel injuected so they start and run with no problems, etc. But these are twice the cost of mine. I have heard from other people that the Kubuoa is built like a tank and is nearly indestructable. There is a guy that works for a railroad where they use them non-stop and abuse the [censored] out of them, and he recommended them.

The better you define what you Need and what you Want, the more you'll be pleased with your choice.

BTW - check out http://www.utvtoday.com for some other brands.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider. Some states/areas don't recognize some of these as ATV's, so you may not be able to ride them on designated ATV trails etc where you might otherwise be ok with a ATV. Check locally, do NOT always believe what the dealer says about them being OK.

PS-I have a 2006 Honda Rincon 680cc. No problems. This is my 3rd Honda and never one problem. The Honda's are designed and made in the USA, SC.

these UTV's don't work very well in the forrest trails, they aren't nimble enough to turn around..too big and boxy to get under/over/around mud holes fallen brush and tree or streams...most people I've seen driving them look over challenged, barely hanging on, confused, but these were serious ATV trails, they clearly didn't belong there and the most ridiculous observation was passengers, mostly women and without a steering wheel or power controls to understand the terrain these passengers are jossled and tossed like rag-dolls for hours, obviously at a certain point it becomes unbareable, you only need to see the look on their faces to understand the torture they've endured. As trail machines these UTV's are doomed.

Originally Posted By: Warlord
I vote for the 700 rhino. They have twice the aftermarket following than all other side by sides combined. Honda is introducing a big red side by side but Honda usually gets into a segment by releasing a lesser machine years after the competition, and then charge more for it.

Honda does this time and time again with their quads. Rincon or Foreman anyone? Tons of money for them and they are in desperate needs of updating.

I have a first generation 2004'ish Kubota RTV-900R. I bought it as a demo model it had between 15 and 20 hours on it when the dealer a cousin by marrage delivered it to my farm. I ran it for around half an hour and changed the oil to Mobil 1 5W-40 and a wix filter. I changed the oil and filter every 150 hours. I have almost 2,500 hours on it now starts with just five seconds of glowplugs with no problem. It doesn't have a block heater. when it gets below zero I have a magent mounted 250-350 heater placed on the oil pan that i plug in. I haven't pluged it in all this winter yet and it hasn't had any problems starting and we had a week straight below -5 degrees F. It still dont use a drop of oil and has more power then I need and it get hammered day in and day out.

Last edited:
I will put a vote in for the

Arctic Cat Prowler 700H1 EFI.

It has the most ground clearance, suspension travel, it is fast and nible, and great for work, plow, towing, etc. Some people don't like the belt CVT's, but I think they are great. I have owened several ATV's and Snowmobiles with them and never had a problem. Espicially in the Prowler it is sealed and will last the lifetime of the unit. Prowler also has a TON of accessories for it too. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back