advantages to German Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the advantages of GC, I have seen a lot of great postings on personal observations, but what is the advantage over PP which is my current fill. Will my engine run better, does a group III perform as well as the Group VI oils. I just need a little help at this point and just need some clarification.

There is an entire FAQ thread about GC on the GC forum... you may want to start there.

Group VI oils? What are those? Did you mean to write Group IV?
smile.gif

You're not going to get a clear cut answer about if and why the GC is better. There are just too many variables and there isn't an oil out there that's best for every application. For the most part, GC has turned in some very impressive UOAs, and has been tested to not include the lower group components. If you can get the GC for the price of PP, then I'd get the GC.

Well, GC is a Grp IV oil, whereas PP is Grp III

GC is just a very good oil, a step above most OTC oils out there...

GC is BMW LL-approved, so I'd be confident running it out to 10k.
PP on the other hand, I choose to run it no longer than 6k.

Both great oils. Depends on your application and OCI as to which one would perform better in your engine.

#1: -54C pour point (PP5W30 is -39C)
#2: 212C flash point (PP5W30 is 196C)

the middle of the 30wt spec is a kinematic viscosity of 11. PP is 10.3, GC is 12.2. both have an HTHS of around 3.6. Pennzoil

GC is all around thicker, except in the freezing temps, hence the 0W rating.

PP has a noack volatility of over 12%... thats high.

GC is one of those oils that far exceeds its specifications, whereas PP is one that meets its specifications. both provide good wear resistance while they are chemically able to, GC does it for longer.

also make note im comparing to PP 5W30 and not the other grades.

Correct. Still, at the BOGO price, PP is an extremely formidable value. Otherwise, at its normal retail price, I'll take GC over it every time.

I'm presently running PP in one of our vehicles. I like it.

there seems to be an extreme amount of typos in pennzoil data sheets, like putting farenheit temps listed as centigrade, or adding a zero to things, and now this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back