Adding a Quart Every 300 Miles - Change Oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Scion Tc - 158000 Miles. I drive this thing like a rental car. WOT almost every acceleration; so I am sure that doesn't help the consumption issue

Question: Would you even change the oil? Like clockwork, I can set the trip odometer and every 300-350 miles I need to add a WHOLE quart.
Would you ever change the oil?? Just change the filter every 5k?

Its been about 8000 miles on the "same" oil and i'm wondering if I should change it?

Thoughts!?

What filter you running? Id put a fram ultra or equiv and go 10-15k miles..gosh a quart every 300 miles..why so much anger to beat on ur car? I suppose its burning the oil? No leaks? Maybe a HM oil, or thicker...change pcv valve too... thats insane oil usage. thats like 17 quarts of oil per 5k miles...

0 leaks! Changed the PCV valve recently too.
Currently running a Mobil 1 Filter, as well.

There is a TSB for these motors for heavy oil consumption. Toyota received a class action lawsuit about this consumption issue given it would only start to happen out of warrenty and Toyota wouldn't do anything about it.

Last edited:
Probably need to change the filter every now and then, sure... but the oil? I wouldn't bother at this point.

I had one that burned/leaked so much oil when I was a teenager, that I had to put in a quart every other day. I was using straight 40 weight from Western Auto. I would buy as much as they'd sell me for 79 cents a quart, when it was on sale. This would have been around 1990.

Find the cheapest oil that you can (with current SN certification) and just keep it full.

Even rental cars don't use a quart in 300 miles. How much does it smoke?

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Even rental cars don't use a quart in 300 miles. How much does it smoke?

The odd thing is that it doesn't even smoke at all! Cant even smell a thing either!

Change just the filter. Stock up on cheap oil. Keep on driving and save up for a new car.

I'd start using a 10w40 or 10w30 HM CONVENTIONAL oil. You'll be broke in no time adding a quart of Mobil every 300 miles. GL.

You're really using M1 in that thing? I'd put the cheapest swill I could find it. Maybe even used oil.

With that filter, you can go 10k miles, then change it.

Curious, why are you WOT'ing it? Just for fun, or time is everything?
smile.gif

My 2008 uses oil too. Though not that bad. No smoking from exhaust and also changed the PCV valve. Started using Rotella T6 in 5W-40 and only added 2 quarts in 8200 miles. If it makes a difference, mine is a automatic.

I'd change it and use a cheaper dino 10W-30 or 10W-40.

More viscosity would help with the usage.

I'd also lighten up on it too since it's about dead. Everyone breathing the stuff coming out of the tailpipe will appreciate it.

I'd also start saving for a new car unless mom is buying you another one.

Change the filter every 15k miles. Do not worry about the oil. The motor is junk if it is using that much oil anyway.Maybe put in a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I usually hate that stuff, but it can not hurt at this point. The motor is junk anyway.

Originally Posted By: Josh48065
There is a TSB for these motors for heavy oil consumption. Toyota received a class action lawsuit about this consumption issue given it would only start to happen out of warrenty and Toyota wouldn't do anything about it.
A good friend of mine is a Toyota Tech, and he has 120 to rebuild on his list, fully covered by Toyota, unlimited miles(100% sure about this) and 10 years from date of production?(this I'm not sure about). The main bearings for the 2AZ-FE affected by this issue are on 4 month back order (100% sure about this, Parts Manager is my friend as well). All this at the Toyota dealership near my house. In fact I found another Toyota Tech who is doing the exact same thing at another dealership and he mentioned word to word about the motors being fully covered by Toyota.

Go to your dealer and ask for a consumption test? I can assure you my info is 100% correct.

You can't hurt it at this point.

Cheap filter at every 10K, and add SAE straight 30 wt. when needed. You can even use straight 40 wt. in the summer.

You can't hurt it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back