Ace Hardware Gearwrench's

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local (Bill's) Ace Hardware sells Gearwrench's under the brand: Ace Hardware Gearwrench.
Lifetime warranty with Ace. Well they had a tent clearance sale and had a metric Ace gearwrench package, 8mm-18mm the 11,15 and 16 wrenches were missing, the rest of the set was a whopping $9!!
Went back yesterday to get a key duped, they had that same set 8-18mm for $20 on clearance!
I had 2 packages in hand and the store manager made my keys and asked what I would be working on to need 2 sets, and I said, $20 per set! So he said that didn't sound right, we went to the tool aisle as I had the grip of death on my 2 packages, and he saw the clearance sign/pricing and said, wow! you're getting a great deal!
according to a guy who was stocking tools, he said that Ace is clearancing all of their gearwrench tools.
What was weird, only the metric stuff had clearance pricing, the SAE was still regular price.
They had the gearwrench flex-head metric's for $13 each.
But all the SAE's were regular price.

Glad I don't need SAE anymore!

On my way to my Ace Hardware now!
19.gif

Wow that is great deal! I paid $30 at Sears couple weeks ago and
I thought I got a great deal on the same metric set.

- Vikas

Yeah Sears is also clearing out Gearwrench sets. I got the metric ratcheting set for $30 too. Why the clearance sales? Maybe there coming out with new models.

Just FYI, Sears still has the reversible GearWrench 8-piece sets on sale (both SAE and metric) for $30. The online sale flyer says that it was only a two-day sale (Oct. 18 & 19) but as of yesterday they were still at the sale price.

I use them daily at work, they have two kinds one that has to be turned over to get the ratchet end to reverse, another that has a little thumb lever on it to switch it to reverse. I prefer the thumb type, and I do not care for the swivel type at all. I also do not trust any of the gear wrenches on anything tightened by over fed Go-Rillas with high protein bananas. I break them loose with the open end, or another box end, then use the gear wrench finish up, I use gear wrenches more than anything at work, I love the, time savings, ease of use, a very good design that took way to long to get out.

Originally Posted By: rclint
I also do not trust any of the gear wrenches on anything tightened by over fed Go-Rillas with high protein bananas. I break them loose with the open end, or another box end, then use the gear wrench finish up, I use gear wrenches more than anything at work, I love the, time savings, ease of use, a very good design that took way to long to get out.

I do, I regularily give my gear wrenches to my pet gorillas that are on a high protein diets to remove over tightened bolts.

Just kidding, but I have used all my strength to get bolts loose with these wrenches and it didn't phase them.

Also you can get the flex heads that lock in posistion so that it doesn't flop around all over the place and those are the best IMO. So there are actually 4 types of gear wrenches, the type you flip over, the reversible type, flex head and locking flex head.

Last edited:
I saw them side by side with the Craftsman version, and the Craftsman looks a little more stout. The price reflects it though. Seems like you guys like the Gear Wrench tool, and saving a few $$ isn't a bad idea. Especially when you're on a budget like I am.

Originally Posted By: 7055
Originally Posted By: rclint
I also do not trust any of the gear wrenches on anything tightened by over fed Go-Rillas with high protein bananas. I break them loose with the open end, or another box end, then use the gear wrench finish up, I use gear wrenches more than anything at work, I love the, time savings, ease of use, a very good design that took way to long to get out.

I do, I regularily give my gear wrenches to my pet gorillas that are on a high protein diets to remove over tightened bolts.

Just kidding, but I have used all my strength to get bolts loose with these wrenches and it didn't phase them.

Also you can get the flex heads that lock in posistion so that it doesn't flop around all over the place and those are the best IMO. So there are actually 4 types of gear wrenches, the type you flip over, the reversible type, flex head and locking flex head.

I bought a set of the flex heads at Sears about 5 years ago and stripped the gear on (of course) my most often used size within a month. Absolutely great tool idea for those cramped places that don't allow a socket. But now I break loose first with the fixed open end and gear wrench after.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I saw them side by side with the Craftsman version, and the Craftsman looks a little more stout. The price reflects it though. Seems like you guys like the Gear Wrench tool, and saving a few $$ isn't a bad idea. Especially when you're on a budget like I am.

In what ways were they "more stout"?

Visually the Craftsman tool appears to be a heavier better made tool. I own the Gear Wrench version [regular] for a few years now, and the Craftsman version with the swivel head. I've also seen both tools side by side. Not knocking the gear wrench version, I own and like them. IMO the Craftsman tool is better, and it is reflected in price as well. Opinions vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back