A "quickie" for the 60's Mustang.

This to date was the oldest car I have ever cleaned. 😂 The client wanted the bare minimum while still looking nice from 10 feet away. They are NOT mechanically inclined in the very least and do not understand that a vehicle sitting outside not being driven for many months at a time is not the best scenario for it.
On the other end of the spectrum this Mustang has been "restored" in the past - if poorly, and is basically a driveway decoration in the clients 3rd home and is driven a couple times a year. otherwise it is parked on a gravel & grass driveway, uncovered, under pine trees for 3 seasons, than is stored in a garage in the winter. Miles read about 65K, but the odo does not have 6 digits. It started right up even after months of sitting and sounded extremely smooth, that was very surprising to me.

IMG_3442.jpeg
IMG_3444.jpeg
IMG_3445.jpeg
IMG_3450.jpeg

And just a few hours later:

IMG_3451.jpeg
IMG_3455.jpeg
IMG_3452.jpeg
IMG_3454.jpeg
IMG_3458.jpeg
IMG_3459.jpeg

Sounds and looks like you did everything possible to make it a nice driveway decoration ;)

Nice job on that ragtop.. was wondering what you used on it.. might have to borrow the magic eraser idea.
Are those oldsmobile wheel covers? (n)
and Tigerpaw tires.. ugh.

Hey, if the shoe fits....

My brother too bought Olds wheel covers for a '91 Lumina he had. Everyone lived.

When I sold Sis' Toyota one of the wheel covers was gone.
The buyer saw an old, forgotten (by me) Buick wheel cover from my dad's Regal and asked, "What's this?".
Then, remembering it was the right size, I answered, "It's yours."

My first car was a '66 Mustang, non-fastback. This was my mode of transportation when I was going to automotive tech school and a very warmed over 302 was quickly found to reside in the engine bay. Toploader 4-speed and a Hurst shifter sat behind it. It had the factory 140 mph speedometer, so you've got to see if it works in that range, right? With cheap bias tires, I might add. (You do crazy things when you are a teenager) My car DID have the factory hub wire hub caps, so I guess I didn't lose my man card in that department. I remember getting new carpet and upholstery for the bucket seats from Paddock Mustang at the time. (Long closed) The bucket seat upholstery was held on with hog rings. I grew up on a farm and I knew back then what hog rings were really invented for. :cool:
I do remember it had a fantastic factory AM radio in it. When I was driving back on late Sunday nights, you could pick up radio stations 1,000 miles away back then and listen to the same station for the two hours that it took to get back to school.

Though Ford built a gazillion Mustangs from 641/2 through 66 this might be a rare example unless my 70 year old eyes are deceiving me. It looks as if it might have a factory 8 track tape player with Mustang script just below it, along with the 260 v/8 and a convertible to boot. ICBW

My first car was a 67 Fastback . Still my favorite body style . When I win the Lottery my first toy purchase will be an " Eleanor " replica .

Guy up the street from me has a 67 Mustang convertible which is green with the black top restored. It also has the factory 390 cubic inch engine. I might see him drive it 3 or 4 times a year in the summer time. Its a garage queen for sure.

Guy up the street from me has a 67 Mustang convertible which is green with the black top restored. It also has the factory 390 cubic inch engine. I might see him drive it 3 or 4 times a year in the summer time. Its a garage queen for sure.
That's interesting . I never knew they offered a 390 in the 67 Mustang . So I looked it up . A little over 10,000 were built from 67 thru 69 .

The only real Mustangs were all built in the 60s.

Although, I have to admit, the last few years they have been getting closer again
A good friend had a late 60's Burgundy fastback with the 289 ci 271 hp 4 speed. When you rode in it, it felt like the only thing holding it together was the driveshaft. I hope they are not going back to that. :D

Back