? A Few Questions re Amsoil AME, UOA & FrantZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I recently installed a Frantz OBP. Sump is 12 quarts and I may end up running 2 parallel units , but for now have one and have decided to change TP every 2K miles. (1)Assuming I would use a quart to top off change, at what mileage should I do a UOA? - I'm now using AME HDD & Marine 15/40 because it is not CJ, and as I understand it, the CJ is OK, just has lower TBN & also, you have to change oil more often with the CJ. (2)Should I be using the 5/30 series 3000 instead,(Assuming I stay with Amsoil for now)Temps here are 10 to 100F, If UOA's prove I can, I would like to do extended Oil Drain Intervals. If not I am just going to go with Delo or a good mineral oil. Been hearing good things about Schaeffers, and next time I'm in Asheville may pick up some Supreme 9000.(3)I have to pay extra $10 just to get TBN with Blackstone, if not against forum rules, could someone point me in direction of reputable lab that is more reasonable, as I don't know if Blackstone even gives a soot level or %. BTW my engine is a Dodge Cummins Dually, pretty heavily modded, but I don't drag race or sled pull with it, more of a hobby as I don't have sports cars anymore, just pull horse trailers and GN flatbed with it. Thanks, I love this site and appreciate any and every answer or critique.

Last edited:
It seems as though Amsoil markets the series 3000 and the AME as giving close to the same wear. But the 3000 has the potential for MPG improvement. Better cold/warm flow as well as longer drain interval.

Can't help you much on the other stuff. Schaeffers sounds like a good oil I would not mind trying at some point. Especially on vehicles that I don't want to spend the top dollar on oil.

HDD is more expensive though...and not by a little bit. But I think it would definitely produce similar/comparable results to AME. It's take your pick with that one...
I would take UOA at the first oem mileage interval (7500) and then go from there...that's what I have been doing with my Dodge Cummins.
Try Oil Analyzers...they seem to very consistent, and you get a good UOA for the price (includes TBN)

Thanks D, I was hoping to get an answer from you. I'll take your advice, seems logical. Does the CJ handle soot better than CI+4?

Originally Posted By: nelrod
Thanks D, I was hoping to get an answer from you. I'll take your advice, seems logical. Does the CJ handle soot better than CI+4?

Good question...I ran a run of CJ4 Delo (on the Diesel UOA forum here) and it turned back similar results to my previous UOA's with CI4+. Actually, the wear was right about bang on the same...contrary to what a lot of folks over at DTR think about CJ4. The oil company's and everything you read about it maintains that that is what it is supposed to do. Me? I don't think CJ4 is the problem that some think it is. It's fine, although it has a lower TBN and it appears to have lower anti wear additives (which it doesn't, they're just newer ashless type).
I did a UOA through Terry Dyson about two years ago, and he really like the CJ4 oils...I took a break from his services only due to cost, his expertise is great to have access to...
So, I guess its down to the bottom line, take uoa and see for ourselves...
Have you decided on which (AME or HDD) you are going to be using?

And I can't really give you an accurate answer in regards to soot...my numbers have always been about the same since I installed the Amsoil BMK-11. Less than 0.2 always, occasionally 0.3.

Yes D, I have decided to stick with the AME 15/40,(If staying with Amsoil) after looking at both their specs, they seem essentially the same to me? And, like you said, the HDD is quite a bit more coin. I wish the AME was 5/40, because I was basically just going to switch to see if my mileage went up. Actually, when it is time for a change I am going to try the Schaeffers Supreme 9000, I think it is a CJ, but a 5/40 and a reasonable price. That or Delo 400. I went on a trip down to Ga(empty) Sat and my mileage driving 65 and 70 mph was 15.95, hand calculated. My 06 CTD now has over 28K on it FINALLY seems to be getting better mpg. I read that the mpg may go up after 25 or 30K miles. I am satisfied with that for an 8300 lb truck,(weighed at local scale). I am glad you told me T.Dyson likes the CJ, if HE likes it, I have no more questions about it, esp. since your UOA's were virtually same with both. Thanks for your time & input D, esp since we have same engine. Now I can hardly wait to do a UOA.

Last edited:
Yes D, I have decided to stick with the AME 15/40,(If staying with Amsoil) after looking at both their specs, they seem essentially the same to me? And, like you said, the HDD is quite a bit more coin. I wish the AME was 5/40, because I was basically just going to switch to see if my mileage went up. Actually, when it is time for a change I am going to try the Schaeffers Supreme 9000, I think it is a CJ, but a 5/40 and a reasonable price. That or Delo 400. I went on a trip down to Ga(empty) Sat and my mileage driving 65 and 70 mph was 15.95, hand calculated. My 06 CTD now has over 28K on it FINALLY seems to be getting better mpg. I read that the mpg may go up after 25 or 30K miles. I am satisfied with that for an 8300 lb truck,(weighed at local scale). I am glad you told me T.Dyson likes the CJ, if HE likes it, I have no more questions about it, esp. since your UOA's were virtually same with both. Thanks for your time & input D, esp since we have same engine. Now I can hardly wait to do a UOA.

Your fuel economy is about the same as mine was at that mileage. Staying at 70 I get about 19 these days, if not driving into a hard wind...most of the time hand calculated I'm around 17...

Your fuel economy is about the same as mine was at that mileage. Staying at 70 I get about 19 these days, if not driving into a hard wind...most of the time hand calculated I'm around 17... [/quote]

That's very encouraging.

Your fuel economy is about the same as mine was at that mileage. Staying at 70 I get about 19 these days, if not driving into a hard wind...most of the time hand calculated I'm around 17...

That's very encouraging. [/quote]

What mods do you have? I have a 06 CTD 2wd and I get 20+ religiously...My trip to Tenneesee over the holidays got me 22 avg (hand calc) and he lie o meter read 1.5 - 2.0 mpg better (that is pretty consistant and I usually only spot check if I feel it is going south).

Originally Posted By: Shup1

That's very encouraging.

What mods do you have? I have a 06 CTD 2wd and I get 20+ religiously...My trip to Tenneesee over the holidays got me 22 avg (hand calc) and he lie o meter read 1.5 - 2.0 mpg better (that is pretty consistant and I usually only spot check if I feel it is going south). [/quote]

You must have gotten a better truck than me...
wink.gif

Last edited:
Happy for you Shup. I figure the SRW and No 4WD will net a few mpg. Doesn't mean I'm not jealous though.HeHe.------ My mods let me put
down 450HP/900TQ on a Mustang Dyno. Right now I've got the downloader on
stock program though. On my trip when I got almost 16 I had the REVO program on highest possible. Love diesels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back