A blimp goes down in Germany...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hindenburg II

I didn't know helium burned. I guess it was the Goodyear rubber. I thought they would have a dump valve. I think the pilot compartment is separate from the passenger compartment.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
but why didn't the pilot jump out along with the passengers?

I'm just guessing, but being as low as he was there was probably the risk of the blimp crashing into the ground if he let go of the controls. And since he just let off three people, there was a chance of the blimp crushing those three.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
I'm just guessing, but being as low as he was there was probably the risk of the blimp crashing into the ground if he let go of the controls.

Judging by what was written in that news story, with the loss of ballast from the three passengers, the blimp would automatically shoot up into the air first, kind of like a hot air balloon. But you're right, maybe it still required someone to hold the controls to do that "nicely".

Originally Posted By: dparm
Yeah I'm going to say that the Hindenburg joke is not in good taste, the pilot died.
True, but that is what happens when you are a pilot. If you race a car for example and die in a crash that is the choice you made. As a society are we becoming too feminine about the consequences of our actions? By definition the pilot was a hero. Heros are never feminine by definition.

Originally Posted By: bruno
Heros are never feminine by definition.

??????????

Steve S hasn't yet learned of heroines.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
Originally Posted By: bruno
Heros are never feminine by definition.

??????????

Steve S hasn't yet learned of heroines.
I am not referring to male or female but a state of mind. A hero is not a sports figure but someone who makes a choice to put his/her life on the line to save someone/somebody with out regard for self endangerment. A feminine mindset will not make that choice. For example I lost a bud years ago who was a military pilot. He had a mechanical problem and flew his jet into the ocean instead of bailing out to save himself and chance the plane crashing into a residential area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back