96-98 chevy lumina coolant leak question

Status
Not open for further replies.
10s of thousands of people have asked that same question. It's been a systemic problem for decades. Now you know one of the reasons GM is in the toilet. People got screwed and won't take the bait anymore.

Depending on the dealership, some may do a goodwill offering on the intake manifold gaskets because it's a known flaw. I think my mom only had to pay $100 out of pocket for her '03 Malibu's intake manifold gasket replacement and the dealership covered the rest. I'd have to check the receipts but I know they paid the bulk of it.

Last edited:
man this sucks... i have always thought that the larger chevy cars were the good ones with little flaws.. guess i was wrong

Quit the bellyaching. It's much cheaper and easier to fix a 3100 with a leaking intake gasket than it is to fix a sludged up Toyota or a non-shifting Accord of the same era.

Fix the engine and it will easily take you to 200K miles.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Quit the bellyaching. It's much cheaper and easier to fix a 3100 with a leaking intake gasket than it is to fix a sludged up Toyota or a non-shifting Accord of the same era.

Well maintained Toyota I4s and V6s rarely sludged, but GM 3.1s almost always leaked. The Honda transmission is really a hit/miss.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Either way, I'd rather spend $150 on a gasket set and some coolant than thousands on an engine rebuild or a new transmission.

I think you missed the point.

For the Toyotas that did sludge, provided that the owner can show documented oil changes, Toyota paid for the repairs.

For the Honda transmissions that exploded (if they did, they usually did so before 100k), Honda paid for most if not all of the repairs.

On the other hand, intake gaskets seem to always leak on GM 3.1/3.4 vehicles and GM rarely contributes a dime to the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back