93' TBI rebuild?

wlk

I have my 93 c1500 5.7l TBI and have gone through the truck over the last few years. 157k on it and she runs like a top but I was curious if this is one to leave alone or rebuild. She fires off immediately and has no drips or anything wonky like that but the injectors look varnished and probably original. Would you think it would be a good preventative rebuild or just leave well enough alone?

Honestly I think the injectors are the only thing on top of the motor that hasn't been replaced. It gets driven by my wife once a week, 30 miles round trip but not much more lately, ~1k/yr now.
Thanks

I agree with the others - if it is running well - treat it with some good PEA cleaner and run it. The rebuilds that are available are suspect - I went thru 2 units on a customer's 1997 4.3 S10 before getting a good one. I know it's not the same setup you have but the point is remans are a crap shot.

Reactions: wlk
Thank you guys, I was thinking that but was looking at the air filter the other day and noticed all the varnish on the injectors. I do run Gumout Multi-System Tune Up or Berryman's B12 in it a couple times a year and will continue to do so.
Thanks again. W

Thank you guys, I was thinking that but was looking at the air filter the other day and noticed all the varnish on the injectors. I do run Gumout Multi-System Tune Up or Berryman's B12 in it a couple times a year and will continue to do so.
Thanks again. W

Blow-by oil/gases & fuel vapor cause those deposits, Just the nature of TBI. MPI/DI form those deposits at the throttle blade.

Have you priced new trucks lately?

If you love the truck, keep taking care of it and do whatever is necessary to keep it running down the road...

Have you priced new trucks lately?

If you love the truck, keep taking care of it and do whatever is necessary to keep it running down the road...
That's why it's 31 yrs old and still running I love the truck. Yeah it is stupid money to buy a new one now.

No reason to mess with it unless there is an issue. My 95 Tahoe with the 350 TBI went 250K+ miles before the head gasket finally gave up. Aside from the exhaust rotting away and being replaced with long tube headers and new pipes going back, I only had a do a few simple things like CTS and EGR on mine. The injectors on these are very reliable, the fuel pressure is only around 10-13 PSI on the rail. Probably would have either rebuilt the engine or put in a new one if the entire back end wasn't mostly rust.

I have my 93 c1500 5.7l TBI and have gone through the truck over the last few years. 157k on it and she runs like a top but I was curious if this is one to leave alone or rebuild. She fires off immediately and has no drips or anything wonky like that but the injectors look varnished and probably original. Would you think it would be a good preventative rebuild or just leave well enough alone?

Honestly I think the injectors are the only thing on top of the motor that hasn't been replaced. It gets driven by my wife once a week, 30 miles round trip but not much more lately, ~1k/yr now.
Thanks
If it runs like a top, let it run like a top.

Get you some good fuel injector cleaner, like Berrymans b-12, or Chevron Techron and call it good. That motor I have seen get 350k, as a work truck.

No reason to mess with it unless there is an issue. My 95 Tahoe with the 350 TBI went 250K+ miles before the head gasket finally gave up. Aside from the exhaust rotting away and being replaced with long tube headers and new pipes going back, I only had a do a few simple things like CTS and EGR on mine. The injectors on these are very reliable, the fuel pressure is only around 10-13 PSI on the rail. Probably would have either rebuilt the engine or put in a new one if the entire back end wasn't mostly rust.
Thankfully mine has very minimal rust, sorry about yours

These TBIs are not hard to rebuild. Get the AC Delco gasket kit and take your time. Very simple. First one I did help cure a throttle tip in stall. With new gaskets and same injectors I was amazed how the spray pattern changed for the better

These TBIs are not hard to rebuild. Get the AC Delco gasket kit and take your time. Very simple. First one I did help cure a throttle tip in stall. With new gaskets and same injectors I was amazed how the spray pattern changed for the better
That's what I was thinking, easy rebuild but will leave well enough alone until the day comes when I need to. I just like tinkering and top motor stuff is easily accessible.

Back