92 sonoma 4.3 tbi sputters a sec. after turned off

Status
Not open for further replies.
first off let me say that my truck is in considerably fair condition
course of events to lead to this are
took to shop for a/c work shop advised alternator needs replaced soon due to bearing going out
so i decided to change it myself which im very capable of doing
in the process of changed i had to put new ends on the two fuse able links that connect to the back of the alternator (COULD THIS BE MY ISSUE)?????
only other thing done to truck today was new a/c compressor installed by shop
and me swapping to a larger electric fan in same process as alternator change
i am usually fairly good with these engines especially but have a lot going on right now and don't have much time to put into it but would like it fixed because its my only vehicle with working a/c and my other car is black leather interior with no a/c and power steering that's going out
ANY HELP SUGGESTIONS AND OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED
THANKS IN ADVANCE

I would guess that some vacuum line accidentally got disconnected or broken in the process of replacing that stuff. GM TBI engines are very sensitive to vacuum leaks.

i just went and double checked for leaks granted i had to do it by flash light but everything seems to be fine

i did notice the buzzer inside for the lights makes an odd dying out noise when it sputters then finally dies

the sputter is fairly consistent when turned off so i do feel it is a single most likely simple issue

Originally Posted By: andrew_g
i just went and double checked for leaks granted i had to do it by flash light but everything seems to be fine

i did notice the buzzer inside for the lights makes an odd dying out noise when it sputters then finally dies

the sputter is fairly consistent when turned off so i do feel it is a single most likely simple issue

So let's make sure we have this right - the truck runs fine but sputters for a second after you turn the key off?

The buzzer changing tone and lights dimming a little after the engine stops turning is normal, as the system voltage drops when the alternator stops producing current.

I had a 91 that did that. It was weird. It turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit. It was not opening so it would sputter until the pressure dropped off

Problem is now solved but thanks still
I did end up cleaning the iac and throttle body which changed nothing
But problem did go away when I removed the fairly large electric fan I was running
Not sure the relation between the two but my problem is gone so I am happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back