80w 90 or 75w 140

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Allen;

At the time the WP's came out I compared their results with those given from RP and a few other mfg's in the test and the WP results varied( significantly at times )from what the other mfg's said about their product. I just don't believe that kind of testing and reporting from Amsoil due to their history of false/misleading claims about their own products and the competitions. I can't say the WP's are actually wrong but I have a lot of disbelief over the results once I looked at what they said vs what the other mfg's said.

I will take the results being reported by the other mfg's on their products. If you look back through my posts or this forum to find the big WP thread here you will find where I bring up the differences between what the WP's say about the RP they tested and the info given( at that time )by RP. If you give any credibility to Amsoil's test results you have to do the same to RP's published data. Check it out and see what I mean. Very big differences.

People can believe whichever side they wish.

I have an Auburn limited-slip in my 2000 Dodge 9.25 Dakota rear end. Auburn stated to me to use only dino 80w-90 and GM or Ford additive. I use two quarts of either Pennzoil or Valvoline 80w-90 plus one bottle of GM additive. You have to use the additive or it will make all kinds of commotion trying to turn even though the bottles of gear oil state that they are suitable for limited-slip.

Jim - I can absolutely assure you the lab Amsoil hired to test the gear oils got the numbers they got from oil purchased at the store. (terrible English!) Amsoil even retested some of the parameters at their own labs because they doubted the numbers. Actually in some cases the results were worse! (but within error tolerance) There are folks here that will always say Amsoil made the numbers up or worse, yet they have zero proof. This report has been out for a few years, it's probably do for a re-run/update - but the numbers are the numbers.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Jim - I can absolutely assure you the lab Amsoil hired to test the gear oils got the numbers they got from oil purchased at the store. (terrible English!) Amsoil even retested some of the parameters at their own labs because they doubted the numbers. Actually in some cases the results were worse! (but within error tolerance) There are folks here that will always say Amsoil made the numbers up or worse, yet they have zero proof. This report has been out for a few years, it's probably do for a re-run/update - but the numbers are the numbers.

When was that analysis completed?

It would seem to me that, as you eluded to, the testing should be done routinely as the manufacturers are constantly changing their blends as "improvements"...while gear oil is not really followed like motor oils, I would guess it would undergo similar routine reformulations.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I didn't say they made them up. I said I had my doubts on the results based on my view of their company ethics.

As far as proof I would say the info posted by RP on their product, that I posted to compare to the WP results back in the big WP thread here, is every bit as valid as the info from the WP's and is proof of my view point. Where is your proof, or Amsoil's proof, that the published RP test results showing vastly different numbers than what Amsoil shows in the WP's are not accurate? Are we just to take Amsoil's word on testing done on a competitors product? I can't recall specifics now but I looked at some other mfg's oils that were tested and found some simialr discrepencies as I did with RP. Are those mfg's also wrong and only Amsoil ever posts true test results?

RP tested their product and got one set of results and Amsoil got another. Where is your proof that the Amsoil results are the 100% accurate ones and on the full up and up? Why should we believe Amsoil about RP and disbelieve RP about RP, or Pennzoil about Pennzoil, or Lucas about Lucas, and so on?

As I said, people can believe whichever side they want. You like and sell Amsoil and that is cool. Don't dismiss others though for not finding the WP's to be something that should be relied on as gospel. I actually took the time to provide some of that proof/differing results you talk of at least about RP.

There will always be some here that will defend/believe Amsoil no matter what too. That goes both ways. The WP's should be taken as just one piece of info and not as the holy bible so many people seem to think it is.

Last edited:
There are two things I find hard to believe.

1) That RP would regularly put out a gear oil that would test so poorly. Sooner or later they'd be called on the carpet for that. As did WalMArt with the SuperTech gear oil a few years ago.

2) That Amsoil would deliberately falsify data. Again, that's a secret that would come out someday

Pablo, I'm not clear. Did they retest the same sample, or did they go out and get more oil to test? Or do you know?

Offhand, I'd guess Amsoil got a bad batch of MaxGear and were understandably thrilled about it. I'm not sure I could blame them if marketing zeal took priority over fairness. Still, why would they need to be fair? Each bottle of oil a company sends out represents that company, just like a member of a sports team. When one team member fails, it zings the whole team and the competition is entitled to crow about it. If I was Royal Purple, I'd counter with a similar test of my product and make sure everyone saw it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back