80 Series Land Cruiser - Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered in past posts. I recently purchased a new to me a 1997 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser. I am about to do my first oil change. The truck has 196k mile on the 4.5L DOHC ENGINE W/24 VALVE motor. I do not know the history of what oil was used in the past and was looking for recommendations on what oil to use. Are there any concerns if I elect to switch to synthetic oil at this point? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Lets see. 1997 with 196k miles recently purchased. No known maintenance history. I would pick the cheapest (or your favorite cheap) oil and run it for a while. I think your Toy calls for 5w-30 but 10w-30 can be used if outside temps are over 0F. I do this with all older vehicle purchases to make sure there are no oil leaks or mechanical problems and to give the previous OC a flush. If your satisfied after 6 months (or warmer weather) (and you decide to keep the vehicle) then make your choice. If all checks out ok you can switch to synthetic if you wish. I have switched to synthetics with many vehicles with over 200k miles with no issues other than fixing leaks it had with dyno.

Can you find out what oil had been used? I know you said you didn't know or have the history. Just wondering if you could get it?

You could run just about anything in this and it would be happy. 0W40, 5W30, 10W30, 0W40, 5W40, 10W40, even a 15W40. Your owner's manual will have more details, but you can run conventional, synthetic, or a variety of weights. Since you don't know the history, it really doesn't matter.

How does it look through the oil fill cap? Any sludge? Dark? Clean?

To clean it up, if needed, shorten the interval a bit.

A lot of the 80 guys I know use Rotella 15w40. I ran that when my upper oil pan gasket started leaking which helped a lot.

5w30 M1 HM is what everybody I know runs in their fzj's around here. All my cruiser experience is carbureted timing gear 2f stuff that doesn't apply.

I have been running M1 0w40 for the past 15 years or so in the same vehicle.

Coming up for the next OC, I am switching to MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w30.

Fantastic truck

Originally Posted by Y_K
40 weight in the rest of the world

Exactly....

I am runing GTL HDEO synthetic in mine...partly because of TURBO...partly because of bucket type of valves....it is better that you use oils with more ZDDP there
wink.gif

HDEO Rotella 5W40 would be great. What does your owner's manual state? And your ambient temperature too? Good luck and let us know what you choose and how it works. I always wonder the outcome of post. Just the OCD curiosity of us BITOGERS.

Don't forget the air filter and a good synthetic oil filter. Air filter very important. Welcome to BITOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back