6th Gen Camaro SS LT1 Dexos2 Oil for Track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I know the old 6.1s got pretty toasty when pushed.

Indeed they do. I recorded oil temps right at 300 degrees at one of my first track days at Homestead. A quick email to Mobil 1 and I was reassured that their recommended oil was just fine at those temps. No issues on UOA's either.

Well over 200 dragstrip passes and dozens of road course events later at 104k miles and stronger than ever.

Doublewasp is correct, if you lack radiator capacity to begin with then it is silly to simply dump more heat into the system...

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I would like to register my lack of surprise that an engine needs a thicker oil for hard driving, and also lack of surprise that an oil/coolant heat exchanger fails to perform it's task under same conditions.

No surprises here either.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Also... that oil temp seems pretty high. I guess thats just poor air flow design considering it has an oil cooler?

Just what happens when you try to discharge the heat from one system into another system loaded up with heat.

Yea the oil does not begin cooling until it reaches a temperature above coolant temp, but it also helps warm up.

Ill have to see what temps ill see and decide if I should install an additional cooler, The sump is 10Qts.

What sucks is that it requires Dexos2 for track use and its harder to find at 10 quarts it can be pricy. Since you have to buy the Motul(~$50 per 5qts) also Valvoline MST is available at Advanced Auto(~$9 per quart) but 10 quarts may be hard to find on the shelves. Amsoil AFL 5W40 is Dexos2 @ 11.1 per quart. Finally Castrol EDGE Turbo Diesel 5w40 is Dexos2 @ 10.95 on a single website.

Those are the only few oils I have found that can be purchased today that are Dexos2 possibly more but more digging is needed.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I suspect A3/B4 and dexos2 are mutually exclusive.
I must agree with both of you above.

OP all of A3/B3 & A4/B4 & C3 & Dexos2 require an oil with a HTHS of 3.5 or more.

The C3 & Dexos2 oils are mid or low SAPS, while the A3/B3/B4 oils are full SAPS.

To me SAPS and TBN come into play with Sulphur in fuel and Oil change interval. More Sulphur and lower SAPS = shorter OCI.

But it's the HTHS that is protecting the engine under heat and load.

A synthetic CJ 5W-40 mixed fleet HDEO would be another good option. But I would feel inclined to use something like M1 0W-40.

Nice car BTW. Enjoy

Right I see that the HTHS of Dexos2 oils are in the 3.5+ range which I can easily buy an HDEO from Walmart(T6) and my oil change will be ~$50 but the manual requires specs for track warranty which is the issue if you want to be by the book, and hope the oil MFR paid their royalties to Dexos

I called a few dealers they have no idea about Dexos2 requirements and they don't carry 5W40, GM Corporate said they could not advise me on oil choices and to contact local dealer....

The Diesel Cruze has a "ACEA C3 of the appropriate
viscosity grade" if Dexos2 is not available but the Camaros manual does not list that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mbar1
Need some help here please:
Motul has a Dexos2 5W40 oil , however it's harder to find , and at a high cost. This is the spec
https://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/31156/original/8100_X-clean_5W-40_%28GB%29.pdf?1303773834

Mobil 1 has a diesel oil which is NOT Dexos2 with this spec:
http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

Are they close? I have no idea how to read these specs
Thanks

Anybody? Please? pretty please
blush.gif

Last edited:
Need some help here please:
Motul has a Dexos2 5W40 oil , however it's harder to find , and at a high cost. This is the spec
https://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/31156/original/8100_X-clean_5W-40_%28GB%29.pdf?1303773834

Mobil 1 has a diesel oil which is NOT Dexos2 with this spec:
http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

Are they close? I have no idea how to read these specs
Thanks

Anybody? Please? pretty please
blush.gif

No, Mobil 1 Turbodiesel Truck is not dexos2, so cross it off your list. Ash content is too high.

The Valvoline MST 5w40 that I linked to on the first page of this thread might be cheaper and easier to find than the Motul oil.

Last edited:
[/quote]

No, Mobil 1 Turbodiesel Truck is not dexos2, so cross it off your list. Ash content is too high.

The Valvoline MST 5w40 that I linked to on the first page of this thread might be cheaper and easier to find than the Motul oil. [/quote]

Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

They're asking for something strange. With a dexos1 oil, I can understand specifying a viscosity. After all, one can get a 0w-20 or a 5w-30 in dexos1, at opposite ends of the scale. A dexos2 oil, however, already has a minimum HTHS of 3.5, so why is the grade important.

I'd love to see GM Corporate's explanation (or lack thereof) of why AC Delco 5w-30 dexos2 wouldn't be suitable.

Does anybody see any issues with switching at the end of Track Season from Valvoline / Motul 5w40 Dexos 2 into Mobil1/other 5w30 Dexos1?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back