6K OCI/change filter 3K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the Subaru Forester has a top mounted oil filter would it pay to change the oil filter every 3K and do a complete oil/filter change at 6K?Good/bad or wasteful.Joe

Nope, actually it's alot more common to run one filter for 2 oil changes, not the other way around.

Filters filter better the longer you use them. The only reason to change a filter early is if your engine has sludge issues and is filling the filter up with junk. Clean well maintained engines do not fill the filter up with junk.

So essentially, changing the filter early actually allows more contaminants to circulate in your oil since they filter better over time. And it's a complete waste. I'm actually on the other end of the spectrum and I run my filters for two oil changes, about 15K miles on average and the filters are clean and in good condition upon dissection.

A well built filter can last a really long time, much longer than they are commonly changed. I would have no problem running a quality filter for 25K or 30K miles within 2 years.

Avoid the propaganda! don't use a filter more than once! Just buy a filter that can go 6k, or drop your oil and filter change interval down to something like 4k if that makes you more comfortable. JMHO

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Filters filter better the longer you use them. The only reason to change a filter early is if your engine has sludge issues and is filling the filter up with junk. Clean well maintained engines do not fill the filter up with junk.
A well built filter can last a really long time, much longer than they are commonly changed. I would have no problem running a quality filter for 25K or 30K miles within 2 years.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Avoid the propaganda! don't use a filter more than once! Just buy a filter that can go 6k, or drop your oil and filter change interval down to something like 4k if that makes you more comfortable. JMHO

I reused oil filters in LS400 multiple times without issue. The FCI in my LS400 is 1 year up to 17-18k miles.

I reused cartridge oil filter in my E430 once for 2 OCI of 23k miles, the filter looked like new after 23k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back