65 Mustang, 289 oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either what you have, or a 10W-30 or 5W-40 HDEO will work fine. It's not exactly a demanding application, as long as you have enough ZDDP.

Man what a nice ride
I'd probably stick to a nice blend - yeah I'd keep that in the garage when not driving it. And look into the best of detailing/maintaining products.
Know a woman who sold one couple years ago very very similar to yours. I didn't think she would ever sell it - but someone came along once and made an offer she couldn't refuse.

Just remember, a stock flat tappet hydraulic cam does not have enough valve spring pressure or lift to be concerned with zinc additives that a racing engine would need. Use a SL rated oil of the 5Wor10WX30 varity.

WOW - clean Mustang.

Nothing wrong with the Brad Penn, but the main reason I would search out a new oil is a better storage/preservation oil. An HDEO is the low cost way to do this. Works great for thousandsof engines. Amsoil makes a relative low cost synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30. On the other end is Amsoil HDD 5W-30. This a superb storage HDEO with great TBN retention.

Another more exotic recommendation:

Amsoil AMSOIL 10W-30/SAE 30 ASE

I just finished a 289 stockish build in a 1969 Mustang tonight. It left my shop with a fill of Rotella T 15W40 an a FL1A filter.

It's beautiful! I helped a college friend put many miles on his that was just like it, including the color, "night riding" and taking "road trips" when we needed a diversion from classes and homework back about 40 years ago. It brings back many memories to see one today.

I have never tried the Brad Penn oil, but I believe it has a very similar additive "package" to the best formulations that were available when the 'stang was new. If it were mine, I'd just use the readily available Rotella T Synthetic 5w40. Or, if leaking were a problem, Rotella T conventional 15w40.

Enjoy it!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
WOW - clean Mustang.

Nothing wrong with the Brad Penn, but the main reason I would search out a new oil is a better storage/preservation oil. An HDEO is the low cost way to do this. Works great for thousandsof engines. Amsoil makes a relative low cost synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30. On the other end is Amsoil HDD 5W-30. This a superb storage HDEO with great TBN retention.

Or you could 0W40 or 10W40 with motorcycle oil and upgrade your storage. Meaning...the properties of these oils really are zinc load-up and have additives that keep the inside of the engine from rusting up. Naaaa. Just stay with a SL 10w30 and change each year at your 500mile average. Save you about 50 bucks a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back