6.0L PSD- Choose my Oil for these circumstances!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If you steered clear of the early ones ('03 pickups, '04 everything) your luck should have been better. I know Ford had improved head gaskets by '06 (when they did my van) and they must have slightly better EGR coolers now too. Just be advised that the 6.0 is probably the most complicated, hard to work on diesel engine ever put in a light truck-and that most Ford dealerships will know LESS THAN YOU about it if it breaks!!
You are correct. For any major work, the cab of the truck has to come off to access the engine or the engine has to come out. No way around it. And yes, Ford techs (for the most part)are diesel dumb. Try to find somebody that works on International trucks....they (more or less) use the same 6.0 engine.

Mobil Delvac 1300 10w-30 my Excursion starts are smoother than with a 15w-40, it gets even better with old Esso XD3 0w-30. You don't need a 0w-30 in your climate but the 6.0 still prefers a 30wt.

I had a shop not put in the oil filter I supplied after they did some work for me, a Mann filter to be exact. Needless to say its junk!!! it came apart at the top. Use ONLY Ford or International filters, it is a patented filter design so any aftermarket filter is not to spec.

If you are not already a member come check out powerstroke dot org or thedieselstop dot com. There are lots of helpful members and Ford tech/master techs there to answer any questions about the 6.0 and ways to make it a very reliable motor.

Originally Posted By: pavelow
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If you steered clear of the early ones ('03 pickups, '04 everything) your luck should have been better. I know Ford had improved head gaskets by '06 (when they did my van) and they must have slightly better EGR coolers now too. Just be advised that the 6.0 is probably the most complicated, hard to work on diesel engine ever put in a light truck-and that most Ford dealerships will know LESS THAN YOU about it if it breaks!!
You are correct. For any major work, the cab of the truck has to come off to access the engine or the engine has to come out. No way around it. And yes, Ford techs (for the most part)are diesel dumb. Try to find somebody that works on International trucks....they (more or less) use the same 6.0 engine.

My buddy Jon (slammds15 on here) did the turbo, EGR cooler (twice) and injectors on his without pulling the cab. I'm not saying he enjoyed it (oh, he didn't) but it is possible to do a great deal of work on them without taking it off.

Done hundreds of stud and gasket jobs on 6.0's. never pull the cab in my shop. Pull them forward or drop then through the botton. Saves about 5 hours per job.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
The bulliten mentioned now allows 5w-40 to be used, no recommendation. When this engine was released in '03 until its final year offered in the super duty in '07 5w-40 was just coming into its own so to speak.

There is nothing wrong with a 5w-40, but for the most part you can use a 10w-30 for half the price and get the same results.
I've been using 10w-30 year aroound for the past 42,xxxmi., year and a half. Every UOA has been a carbon copy of the previous one, great results.

Not according to bismic1 in this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2279255#Post2279255

Originally Posted By: bismic1
Just an FYI to the new 6.0L owner - Ford issued a TSB recommending 5W40 from -20*F to over 100*F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back