5W40 dino oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone make 5W40 dino oil? My wife's 1999 Camry is using oil. I want to use a thicker oil @ operating temp not at start up...I figure 5W40 would be perfect.

welcome2.gif

There's never been a 5w-40 conventional that I'm aware of. I would think that it wouldn't be a 40 weight too long.

What's the consumption rate? What are any symptoms (smoke, etc.)

About 1qt per 3000 miles. Engine is an 80k 4 cyl. I've already replace the PCV, no smoke, plugs are not oil wet just look like carbon build up but then again I have a hard time telling the difference between oil burning and carbon build up on the plugs.

Maybe its the PCV still sucking oil and its needs a restrictor on it?

I wouldn't alter my oil weight selection for the sake of 1qt/3k. No one likes consumption, but that's not in the range that requires corrective action. I would surely try and Auto-Rx treatment to assure that rings are not coked up.

I would not restrict the PCV. I may install either an intermediate catch can or adapt up to a larger hose (and adapt back down again at the other end) to reduce any entrainment issues if it can just drain back via gravity.

What's your current OCI?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I would surely try and Auto-Rx treatment to assure that rings are not coked up.

Where do I purchase this at?

What's your current OCI?

OCI?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vacuum_6
I would surely try and Auto-Rx treatment to assure that rings are not coked up.

Where do I purchase this at?

What's your current OCI?

OCI?

http://www.auto-rx.com
OCI=Oil Change Interval

Well, there's no economy factor to this condition. You're not spending too much in make up oil. I'd still try the Auto-Rx solution to attempt to relieve this condition. There can be ancillary benefits to it if there are coked ring packs.

While we're here, let's sweep out all the corners in terms of exploration.

Is the consumption flat or progressive? That is, does it consume 1/3 quart per 1000 miles. If so, then you're at 1 quart consumption at the time you're going to change it anyway. No waste in resources. If it's zero consumption up to a certain mileage, then this points to some fatigue factor and may be caused by fuel dilution.

This brings us to seeing if you're willing to do a UOA to get a little more informed insight into what conditions are present at the time of the oil change. Given your short or infrequent driving event (6k/year) and your reference to carbon/sooty plugs would suggest that this is probably a given.

I would suggest that you use a decent fuel injector cleaner like Amsoil PI prophylactically (maybe every other tank for two treatments if you've never used an agent like this before) and see what effects it has on consumption. You may have a relatively high amount of fuel in your oil that's causing this.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of tools to pull out in corrective action (UOA, injector cleaners, etc.) ...but you will be up against the economics of just doing your oil changes at 2k 3 times a year. Much depends on how "right" you want your engine and how long you intend to keep it. There's also the possibility that there is no remedy for your type of service. This is a very low level of usage.

I'll try to provide as much 411 as possible. We need this car to run for another 5 years. This oil change it used a little less than 1/4 qt for the first 200 miles and then the next 1300 it used more than 1/4 qt. The wife drove it the 1st 200 miles then I drove it the next 1300 miles. I told her to drive it harder then what she is doing now.

Last edited:

I would suggest that you use a decent fuel injector cleaner like Amsoil PI prophylactically (maybe every other tank for two treatments if you've never used an agent like this before) and see what effects it has on consumption. You may have a relatively high amount of fuel in your oil that's causing this.

Wait. Fuel in the oil?

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Wait. Fuel in the oil?

I would assume he means the injectors are dirty thus spraying too much fuel and washing down the walls.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
But dirty injectors spray less fuel.

..well let's think about this. Would you suggest that we clog our injectors to improve fuel economy? (there's a real friendly smile on my face
55.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back