5w20- thickest conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OM for my Caravan specifies 5w20 oil. The first change I did on it was with Mobil Super 5000 5w20. I burned about a quart of oil during a 3k run. I did my next change with the Napa 5w30 syn and used maybe 1/4 quart over about 4k. I'm not sure if the difference in consumption was due to the brand or the viscosity or additives, etc. I intend to stick with conventional with about 4k intervals or so. Is there a 5w20 conventional that is on the thicker end of it's viscosity range?

Sounds like it likes the Valvoline Synpower (napa) motor oil. Not quite as heavily additive packed as Synpower though.

Take it from someone who maintains a Caravan. It matter little what brand of oil you use or even viscosity it will somehow lose oil. It seems that you have found a oil that will allow you to lose less oil and that seems to be NAPA syn 5W-30 buy it on sale or if you can get Valvoline Synpower for less use that. We could give you information on TDS from various companies but this information often does not translate into real word performance.

If you want a thick 5w-20 why not just go with a 5w-30? We're talking pretty minute differences here, and you'll never even notice the fuel economy difference .

Mobil 5k is thin, Gtx is thick almost 9 .I think you might find GTX is better but do not rule out PYB, Quaker State green bottle either.You are not the first to notice consumption with 8.4 Mobil 5k.

Castrol HM, QS Defy and Pennzoil HM are all "thick", but a typical 5w30 would be the simplest solution.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Use a 5w30, in a couple of thousand miles it will shear to a thick 5w20

And in a couple more, he will be dumping it.

The Caravan isn't under warranty so it would probably be best to simply run a thin 30w (ie. not German Castrol) and all will be well. May want to also consider 5k intervals to keep the math simple and if you are topping off thru the OCI anyway.

My 02 CV with 3.3 specs 5w30,I use 10W30 with no problems,no oil burning or leaking.Around 90K miles.Used to use WM ST now have PU and it seems to be so much more peppier.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Mobil 5k is thin, Gtx is thick almost 9 .I think you might find GTX is better but do not rule out PYB, Quaker State green bottle either.You are not the first to notice consumption with 8.4 Mobil 5k.

All dino 5W-20s have much the same 2.6cP HTHSV regardless of what their KV100 spec's may be. It is HTHSV that correlates with operational viscosity.

So, as has been suggested, if you want a heavier 5W-20 you'll have to blend in some 5W-30.

Hi,
CATERHAM - I am pleased to see you furthering the HTHS (operational) viscosity issue with some regularity. I started this a long time ago here on BITOG and was oft criticised here and on Porsche, BMW and Benz Forums. The passage of knowledge, experience and time helps. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Doug,

Yes I've been accused of being a broken record for going on about it. What I find surprising is the number of otherwise bright people that just don't understand HTHSV.
A lot of confusion about motor oil viscosity, particularly when comparing oils from different companies, can be eliminated if one just considered two viscosity spec's; HTHSV and secondarily viscosity index.
I know it's hard for many to do, but one needs to look past the SAE grade and the KV100 spec' it's predominately based on.
Unfortunately it's a psychological hurdle many apparently can't make.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I know it's hard for many to do, but one needs to look past the SAE grade and the KV100 spec' it's predominately based on.

If all product data sheets reported HTHSV then that would have raised awareness.

Originally Posted By: Zako2

If all product data sheets reported HTHSV then that would have raised awareness.

I agree, it would be most helpful.

That may be the way to go actually. This is the first vehicle I have owned that specified a 5w20 and also the first one that the owner's manual doesn't give a range of viscosities. My Hyundai says I can use anything from 5w30 clear up to 10w40 depending on temperature. From what I understand, most of the Caravans have spec'd 5w30 or 10w30 for a long time.

It is the 3.3. I have heard a lot of good things about this particular engine and the Caravans depreciate pretty quickly so it was a pretty decent buy. Never really owned Chrysler's before this one but so far, so good.

I know it's hard for many to do, but one needs to look past the SAE grade and the KV100 spec' it's predominately based on. Unfortunately it's a psychological hurdle many apparently can't make.

Those of us who do care would find things a lot easier if the oil companies routinely posted the HTHS in their sheets for more than just their HDEOs and straight grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back