5w-30 in 2014 Camry 2AR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If it was my money that paid for the car, I'd run 10W-30 in it.

I'm sure if we look back at all your posts we'd find that in most every application if it were yours you'd run 10w-30 in it,regardless of what the oem specifies.

Wouldn't you agree merk

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Someone (the usual one) will pipe up with it's only recommended due to lubricant availability (like Toyota can get a car to a country but not a case of oil)

http://www.parttrade.ru/search/0888083325/2161/

Considering toyota put it in there manual the grades of oil that "are acceptable " means no harm will come to the engine if u use the 5w30.somepeople are just trying to harp about a fairy dust oil that really isn't that great at all ,if all that's being boasted about it is look how much thinner it is almost like water....etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm sure if we look back at all your posts we'd find that in most every application if it were yours you'd run 10w-30 in it, regardless of what the oem specifies.

Wouldn't you agree merk

Yes I agree. The only thing I'd have to worry about is the cam phaser in that Camry; it might not work with 10W-30.

I have the Camry 2AR FE in a '12 and use the Toyota 0W20. 37K miles and engine is fine-very low consumption during the 10K mile oil change interval. I live in OC CA.

All things considered I'd recommend that oil to you too. But if you have stash of 5W30 you need to use up and you have no other vehicles to use it in, I sure can't see where the 5W30 would do any harm in the 2AR FE.

To determine if SAE 5W-20 oils provide the same level of protection as SAE 5W-30 oils, Dagenham Motors in England, one of the largest Ford dealers in Europe, was consulted. SAE 5W-30 is required for warranty purposes in England, and SAE 5W-20 is not even available. If SAE 5W-20 were better for both fuel economy and wear, why would Ford not recommend it for its same engines in Europe?

Every fluid is a compromise. Oils recommended by the auto manufacturers seem to compromise protection from wear under severe conditions to gain fuel economy and catalyst durability. It is important to recognize that to use a product that offers more protection from wear will most likely compromise your warranty. Thicker oils also compromise cold temperature flow, which may be of concern depending upon climate and season.

The best protection against wear is probably a product that is a little thicker and has more antiwear additives than the oils that support the warranty. The best oil for your vehicle depends on your driving habits, the age of your engine and the climate you drive in, but it is not necessarily the type of oil specified in the owner’s manual

taken from this site concerning thinner oil

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

i would return the 5w30 or use it in something that calls for it. Those engines are not the bulletproof Toyota engines of the eighties and early 90s and i would not risk a warranty issue with Toyota because they have those issues lately.Being in the engine business i hear about this stuff. Take my advice use the 0w20.
5w30 probably will be ok but if its not it could be your dime and time.

I'm sure if we look back at all your posts we'd find that in most every application if it were yours you'd run 10w-30 in it, regardless of what the oem specifies.

Wouldn't you agree merk

Yes I agree. The only thing I'd have to worry about is the cam phaser in that Camry; it might not work with 10W-30.
Why wouldn't it work? Hydraulic lifters are the tightest cuild components and they work with any weight oil.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Wouldn't you agree merk

Why wouldn't it work? Hydraulic lifters are the tightest cuild components and they work with any weight oil.

Exactly.

I hear people say all the time that if they don't use 5w-20!in their hemi,Honda,Toyota whatever that the systems won't work. Yet they work fine when the engine is cold and the oil is 20 times thicker than when hot.
My charger has mds. With a 5w-20 the mds kicks in and out all the time unless I'm cruising with no pedal inputs. When I use 0w-40 mds works exactly the same way however that drone seems lessened with thicker oil,can't say exactly why.
So yeah,cam phasers,hydraulic cylinder deactivation and whatever else that runs off oil pressure still operates until there isn't any oil pressure. It's just that simple.

All this thin oil business is just for cafe standards in the usa only,not for better protection of your engine or anything but for the car manufacturers period.

Here is from shells oil Finder for the same engine in austrialla

http://lubematch.shell.com.my/pe/en_US/equipment/cars/toyota_%28aus%29/camry_vvti_2_5_2ar_fe_AsIvq0zPyf

The recommended oil grade is "5w30"

So when others say that 0w20 is made for your engine etc it's not for your benefits but for the manufacturer benefits,from getting fined by the use goverment for not meeting cafe standards.says so in the manual u can get away with a higher grade.

Originally Posted By: Bloodknights
All this thin oil business is just for cafe standards in the usa only,not for better protection of your engine or anything but for the car manufacturers period.

http://lubematch.shell.com.my/pe/en_US/equipment/cars/toyota_%28aus%29/camry_vvti_2_5_2ar_fe_AsIvq0zPyf

So when others say that 0w20 is made for your engine etc it's not for your benefits but for the manufacturer benefits,from getting fined by the use goverment for not meeting cafe standards.says so in the manual u can get away with a higher grade.

Right. Because if they suggested using a 20 grade down under they'd learn very quickly that they are few and far between.
Oem's specify a lubricant that will be easily attainable and provide adequate engine life.
I haven't seen the endless rows of dead engines using 20 grades bid anything they are living longer so your point is invalid.

Originally Posted By: Bloodknights

Right. Because if they suggested using a 20 grade down under they'd learn very quickly that they are few and far between.
Oem's specify a lubricant that will be easily attainable and provide adequate engine life.
I haven't seen the endless rows of dead engines using 20 grades bid anything they are living longer so your point is invalid.

Lmao!!! Toyota can make the cars but can't send there 20 grade oils over there.........okay keep drinking the koolaid they keep feeding you,if it makes u sleep well.even though the evidence is out there for everyone to see that 20 grade is for cafe and not for your benefits.nowhere in this discussion did anyone mention that your engine will in 20 grades break engines but know the oem have there agenda to cover there backs and dosent always cover yours.so your point is invalid lol what a childish comeback lol and for your "adequate " statement no one wants mediocre or just getting by oil but the best for true car lovers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If this is for the 2014 Camry in your signature, check your owner's manual in the oil recommendation section. My 2011 Camry showed only 0W-20 on the graphic, but if you read the text, it allowed (rather vaguely) a higher grade of oil if you intend to tow or use the car in severe conditions. It didn't define those severe conditions and it didn't specify which higher grades were appropriate.

Here's an example (from a 2010 owner's maunal:

owner-s-manual-for-2010-toyota-camry-page1-3808330.jpg

It specifically says that the use of an oil higher than a "20" grade is okaypreferred (using the words "better suited") if the vehicle is operated at higher speeds or while under higher loads. In other words, it is absolutely safe to use. Again, there should be ZERO concern here using that 5W-30. Toyota even tells you that it's okay to do.

Exactly. In that application what it tells me in the last sentence is 5W30 is better suited for high speed or extreme load situations. So while 0w20 is the preferred grade under most conditions, under high speed or extreme load situations it is not be the best grade. Common sense should come into play if you plan on high speed or high load driving conditions. If 0w20 was the best under all conditions they would have left the last sentence out.

+1

Clevy, so Toyota are capable of bringing an entire car into Australia but can't ship a lubricant to the country ?

That doesn't ring true, as a couple of cases in the trunk of each car shipped would easily last out the warranty period.

Where they may not be wanting to go there is that you could never convince an Aussie that 1qt/800 miles is acceptable oil consumption. GM had that problem with the V-6, emptying the sump between 10,000km OCIs...it hurt their credibility badly.

"Adequate" engine life isn't an argument that points to a pile of failed engines...have never said that it did/would, and I don't think too many have (unlike the pile of failed engines next to the racetrack on 50s).

Honda use the terms like "improved fuel economy while still providing adequate/acceptable life"...they are inferring that there's more durable ways of doing it, but this is "OK"...it's probably more than OK, as there's no point having another 200,000 miles in an engine when the car is scrapped...it's utilising resources more efficiently to use 1-2% less fuel over the life of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Clevy, so Toyota are capable of bringing an entire car into Australia but can't ship a lubricant to the country ?

I've seen this statement a couple of times and don't understand it.

Toyota make their 0w20 available in dealerships along with other genuine parts. I'm presume the same is true in Australia.

However, they are not in the business of making their parts or oil available in retail outlets. That's an entirely different business model and they don't do that in the US so why would they do that in Australia?

For a while, Motorcraft semi syn was the best bargain in Walmart because part of the conditions for Ford to get CAFE credits was that the lighter oil was actually available. This upset dealers whose cost was higher than the retail price at Walmart. Since there is no requirement in Australia for Toyota to make 0w20 available, why would Toyota undermine their dealer's margins and go into a non core business by making their recommended oil more widely available?

My shoe is adequate for killing a roach. I really don't need a sledgehammer.
If 5w30 is accepted and you want to go with it, I say go right ahead, but it's not because 0w20 can't do the job.

I don't see how any engine could possibly run quiet on 0W-20. I'd hate to hear it at full throttle.
Don't knock it til you have tried it. Have you personally heard an engine running 0w20 vs the same engine on a 5w30?

I don't see how any engine could possibly run quiet on 0W-20. I'd hate to hear it at full throttle.

My Toyota 4.7 with 0w-20 EP runs buttery smooth.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
I've seen this statement a couple of times and don't understand it.

Toyota make their 0w20 available in dealerships along with other genuine parts. I'm presume the same is true in Australia.

If you remember back to the days when I started using it, we were being told that TGMO was vital to the longevity of your Toyota, being designed for "it" (Prius, Tundra, or Subaru, and on version 3 of it's "unique" formulation)...the statement that it was due to supply trains, specifying what was available locally, blah blah was so much bunk...

My point was that if Toyota GENUINELY thought is was in the best interests of longevity for their engines, not only would they have it in stock (i.e. in the trunk), it would be mentioned in the manual, especially for the Prius...

No, they weren't selling TGMO at the dealers (not even Lexus), and no, they didn't have it in their manuals.

TGMO 0W20 (well one of them, made in Japan) didn't come until the 86 (Subaru), and is referred to by the dealers as "the 86 oil".

Originally Posted By: aa1986
However, they are not in the business of making their parts or oil available in retail outlets. That's an entirely different business model and they don't do that in the US so why would they do that in Australia?
Since there is no requirement in Australia for Toyota to make 0w20 available, why would Toyota undermine their dealer's margins and go into a non core business by making their recommended oil more widely available?

Never said that they had to hive it out to the retail market...just that if Toyota really really knew that it provided the best longevity for their engines, they would have at least sold it here...or even mentioned it in their manuals.

Or given a local blender the special additive that they are alleged to have done with Mobil and asked them to bash out a couple of drums for the dealers to service them with...

They have "Genuine Toyota" 10W30, 5W30, 15W40, and 20W50 (made in Oz) sitting on the shelves next to imported Toyota Genuine Gear oil and PSF...but never bothered (until the 86) to bring in, or blend locally, even for dealer use...thus it wasn't really that critical for either the economy status, nor the longevity for Toyota to bother about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back