5W-20 Increases Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snippet from larger story on fuel economy

Quote:

Ford Motor Company reports that the company’s switch from recommending 5W-30 viscosity motor oil to 5W-20 viscosity motor oil has saved 700 million gallons of gasoline since 2001. By reducing load and internal friction, lighter viscosity 5W-20 motor oils reportedly increase fuel economy by a half mile per gallon. In addition, Ford reports its use of 5W-20 oils has reduced carbon dioxide emissions by about one million metric tons a year.

I guess it could be said that if you are not using 5W-20 you are contributing to global warming.
bop.gif

Ford has used 5w20 to keep selling as many SUVs and trucks as possible, mainly gasoline engined with autos. Bigger vehicles these days should really be diesels. Manual trannys would have made a bigger difference than the 5w20 1/2 mpg.

http://uspolitics.about.com/od/energy/i/cafe_standards.htm

The US fleet average peaked in 1987 at 26.2 mpg. In 2003 (latest data available), the average new vehicle (fleet) mpg was 25.0. Why? The proliferation of inefficient SUVs and the increase, as a market share, of light trucks.

For model year 2003, DaimlerChrysler had the best domestic passenger car mileage at 29.7 mpg, followed by GM at 28.9 mpg and Ford at 27.9 mpg. The "domestic" imports (foreign manufacturer but domestic production) had superior mileage: 34.4 mpg for Honda, 28.9 for Nissan and 28.1 mpg for Toyota.

Not by a whole lot. If the world is ending people stop using their private jets, 15,000 square foot air conditioned houses and travel with a fleet of suvs then we can all go back to honey thick 05w/30 motor oil.

Quote:

Snippet from larger story on fuel economy

Quote:

Ford Motor Company reports that the company’s switch from recommending 5W-30 viscosity motor oil to 5W-20 viscosity motor oil has saved 700 million gallons of gasoline since 2001. By reducing load and internal friction, lighter viscosity 5W-20 motor oils reportedly increase fuel economy by a half mile per gallon. In addition, Ford reports its use of 5W-20 oils has reduced carbon dioxide emissions by about one million metric tons a year.

I guess it could be said that if you are not using 5W-20 you are contributing to global warming.
bop.gif

I like global warming .I hate cold.

When I use 5w20 I use oil, when I use 10w30 I use more gas, ****ed if I dont. Iam just gonna ride my 1977 Yamaha DT175 everywhere, I figure Iam putting out as many hydrocarbons as 50 Honda Civics. Eat that Greenies.

Quote:

Not by a whole lot. If the world is ending people stop using their private jets, 15,000 square foot air conditioned houses and travel with a fleet of suvs then we can all go back to honey thick 05w/30 motor oil.

Yes, if we do not drive, fly, or let our family fry in the summer heat, pollution and dependency on foreign oil are solved immediately. Why haven't we thought of that!
bop.gif

The initial statement may only be true if the engine is designed for a thinner oil. I actually lost MPG using thinner oils in 2 of my vehicles. They were not designed for 5W-20.

Quote:

The initial statement may only be true if the engine is designed for a thinner oil. I actually lost MPG using thinner oils in 2 of my vehicles. They were not designed for 5W-20.

Refresh my memory...
When did auto engine makers start designing engines for specific oils?
Silly me...I thought it was the other way around.
pat2.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Refresh my memory...
When did auto engine makers start designing engines for specific oils?
Silly me...I thought it was the other way around.
pat2.gif

Engines have been designed to run on specific oil viscosities since sometime around when dirt was invented.

Huummmmm i think Ford could have saved more fuel by using a more efficient oil like Amsoil 5w30 Vs. Average Joe 5w20.... Personally, i gained a couple of MPG with Amsoil and a lot more by doing a good tune-up...

I only gained about 1 mile to gallon(or less)difference in three test vehicles with 5w30 v.s 5w20 and 10w30. I tried all weights in each vehicle at each change, I rotated each grade through each truck 3 different vehicles all same models( 2005 F150 with V6) same drivers and I seen little difference. The vehicle I drove seemed quicker with the 5w20 but sounded smoother with the 10w30, of course this may be my imagination. I questioned the other drivers and they had no idea what weight oil was in thier truck and stated they noticed no difference. They thought all the changes were the same oil, gas milelage varied slightly but no more than 1 mile per gallon.

I guess though when car manufactures are looking to gain just tenths of a gallon for CAFE reasons, it makes sense to use the 5w20 weights in everything, but at 1 MPG, I guess one can "play" a little bit with the viscosity table, and have fun while doing it, knowing that they are not hurting anything in the process.

I've never seen any evidence that using a 5W20 or lighter oil will give more then a miniscule increase in MPG...I suppose it does help MPG, but not by much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back