54 week old LG refrigerator failure

That is if there is a problem.🙃
Choose wisely for your brand and model, because without those two, the choice is limited in the given price range for look, feel and perceived quality of materials. We were very surprised as we always liked the brand, but something happened in the last few years.

Chinese owned GE has some nice looking French store models but the side-by-side to us looked terrible.

Whirlpool, which is what I set out to buy, was very disappointing in the plastic feel of the drawers and sloppy foam insulation, squeezing out of seams in some places.
Ima hoping mine doesn't take a dump

Same story repeated multiple times from multiple news agencies and media companies mentioning the same people, and same exact stories regurgitating for well over a year now.

With that said, I agree with some of it, we are a throwaway society now 10 years and and appliances out the door.

The buzzword is the LG compressors yet consumer product safety commission 75% of the complaints are Samsung refrigerators

Our last refrigerator until we just moved into our new home was a Kenmore elite flawlessly worked for 16 years and still running when we sold our house, in fact, still looked like new
It did need one repair in those 16 years and I did it myself, I changed out the icemaker heating unit for less than $150

Today’s consumer buys what looks good to them in the store and with some luck you’ll get a good 10 years out of it. At the same time we have to accept that the prices have not gone up much at all on refrigerators over the last two decades, and I suppose that is part of it, but certainly not all

Last edited:
Same story repeated multiple times from multiple news agencies and media companies mentioning the same people, and same exact stories regurgitating for well over a year now.

With that said, I agree with some of it, we are a throwaway society now 10 years and and appliances out the door.

The buzzword is the LG compressors yet consumer product safety commission 75% of the complaints are Samsung refrigerators

Our last refrigerator until we just moved into our new home was a Kenmore elite flawlessly worked for 16 years and still running when we sold our house, in fact, still looked like new
It did need one repair in those 16 years and I did it myself, I changed out the icemaker heating unit for less than $150

Today’s consumer buys what looks good to them in the store and with some luck you’ll get a good 10 years out of it. At the same time we have to accept that the prices have not gone up much at all on refrigerators over the last two decades, and I suppose that is part of it, but certainly not all
so are these compressor failures frivolous lawsuits filed by unscrupulous lawyers?

Korean cars and Korean appliances = at your own risk?
Well, I can’t be too sure of that since many people in here love Samsung and LG TVs
I’m a Sony person personally

And the rest buy Chinese goods, which is General Electric

Leaving only Whirlpool for the most part
Also, Frigidaire, which is an Electrolux company I believe

I’m talking mainstream brands

Well, I can’t be too sure of that since many people in here love Samsung and LG TVs
I’m a Sony person personally

And the rest buy Chinese goods, which is General Electric

Leaving only Whirlpool for the most part
Also, Frigidaire, which is an Electrolux company I believe

I’m talking mainstream brands
The cars and appliances all have moving parts, TV's not so much.

I bought a hotpoint refrigerator in 2011 new and it is still working just fine. In 2022 i bought a maytag washer and dryer and the washer didn't last and was constantly needing repaired.
I bought a Speed queen top load washer in October and wish i bought one sooner! Well worth the $1500

We had a Kenmore french door refrigerator we bought in the fall of 2018 that was basically a rebadged LG. That Kenmore blew out the compressor after 3 years, sometime in 2021. No warranty was available. Quote to fix was $950 and the warranty was only 90 days, so we rejected that. Bought a new LG side by side fridge that was around the cheapest available for the capacity (27-28ish cu ft), and the 5 year extended warranty to go along with it. Also came with a 10 year compressor warranty.

I fould an outfit that hauls off appliances and fixes them up for resale, I donated the Kenmore to them and didn't pay Lowes the $30 for the haul-off with the delivery of the new LG fridge.

Our new home that was built in late 2022, came with a GE fridge from the builder, so we were able to sell the 2021 replacement for $800, the 5 year extended warranty was transferrable so I transfered it to the new owner.

I would not recommend the GE fridges, ours is pretty noisy, but since it was thrown in by the builder we'll probably keep it until it breaks. Not only that but the water filters have an RFID tag on them and cost around $50 each, model XWFE. Last time I checked it will not take an aftermarket replacement but some people online have suggested that you can peel off the RFID tag and put it on the prior generation of filters, model XFW, as they are physically idential on the outside. The prior gen filters have aftermarket replacements available. If not for the ice maker I wouldn't even bother with the filters at all. We have a reverse osmosis filter under the kitchen sink for water dispensing, I never use the fridge water dispenser.

They're trying to enforce an arbitration clause that was written on the box. :ROFLMAO:

I would not recommend the GE fridges, ours is pretty noisy, but since it was thrown in by the builder we'll probably keep it until it breaks. Not only that but the water filters have an RFID tag on them and cost around $50 each, model XWFE. Last time I checked it will not take an aftermarket replacement but some people online have suggested that you can peel off the RFID tag and put it on the prior generation of filters, model XFW, as they are physically idential on the outside. The prior gen filters have aftermarket replacements available.
Paging Louis Rossmann!

Our 6 1/2 yr old LG fridge took a dump this summer. LG sent a new compressor and condenser for free but it still cost me $900 plus to get it installed. Its going in the scrap heap before I put another penny in it. I would never buy another LG but from what I can tell the market is full of feces.
There was just a great video on YouTube where someone investigated LG Fridge failures and apparently it is due to their compressor design. I think there is a class action lawsuit brewing. It's weird that LG says their fridges are the longest lasting on their box. How does a company screw up a compressor design this bad?

I don't get it, who's Louis Rossmann?
Louis has a YouTube channel where he advocates for the right to repair. He often talks about things like serialized parts, which this GE (really Haier) has grossly overpriced serialized water filter cartridges definitely is the type of thing he talks about.

In my experience with appliances the fewer the options the less there is to go wrong. I perform regular vacuuming of the coils on my fridge and it keeps chugging away and runs quiet.

Back