51348 running approx. PSID

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the discussion about when filters go into bypass, I decided to do something crazy here. Now I don’t recommend this to anyone because if you screw up, there could be a major problem with the engine. And yes, this only applied to my application and one filter. It was a real pain to do, so I will not be testing any others now that I think I have a “feel” for what’s going on.

I set up this way:

OPSetup.png

I do not have photos of the ugly filter adapter I made as the battery in the camera is dead.
(in fact this has been one of those days—I kinked an oil gauge tube installing it and had to go to the store for a new ferrule…took the VW bus, which still has 20W-50 in it, and I was in a hurry = no warm-up. The filter blew the gasket, the OP light came on, and I had to walk home and get another filter and oil.)
…But that’s another story.

Anyway, I punched a hole in the Wix 51348 filter I use for the Tacoma 2.7 liter 4 cylinder (2T-RFE I believe) and de-painted the outside of the canister, roughed up with sandpaper, cleaned, and slipped a portion on the canister of a Purolator product over it, as the Puro filters are just a hair larger diameter.
The inside of which was also roughed and cleaned for good adhesion.
The Puro canister had a nipple I had previously soldered onto it to fit an OP gauge tube. I JB Welded this on and let it cure for 24 hours. This is my “filter adapter.”
So I re-filled the adapter here to get the air out and the oil in, and put this on my truck with a gauge—this gives me access to the pressure on the dirty side of the filter element that the bypass valve “sees” and excludes the ADBV pressure drop from the equation….which is probably good.

Downstream from the filter a few inches and must be a couple 90 degree turns, I access the pressure ion the clean side of the filter through another nipple in place of the OP sender. Now this adds a little pressure differential here but shouldn’t be very much….maybe a couple psi?

All hooked up this way and leak checked, I put a thermocouple under a little insulation and duct taped that to the new filter adapter to get an approximate oil temperature. (The gauges were pre-checked that they read the same as each other, by the way.)

Now here are the PSID readings with fresh Valvoline Synpower 5W-30…and I apologize in advance for the disorganization here, but you try to read gauges through the windshield while maintaining RPM on the dash tach, and running outside then to get a temperature reading.

Idling warm-up:
Temp, F: 54, RPM 1100, PSID 7
75, RPM 1000, PSID 6
87, RPM 800, PSID 4
95, RPM 750, PSID 4

After 10 minutes:
Temp, F: >115, RPM 2000, PSID 6
“” RPM 2500, PSID 7
“” RPM 3000, PSID 10
Temp, F: >170, RPM 2500, PSID 6
“” RPM 3000, PSID 8

Temp, F: 190, RPM 3000, PSID 8

My conclusion is that this filter, with about 100 sq in of media and published 8-11 PSI bypass setting, will be in at least partial bypass above idle speed with 5W-30 when cold, on a cold day. Since I run about 2200 RPM at 70 mph, When at or approaching operating temperature, it should not bump up against bypass opening pressure unless I downshift and get over 3K RPM.
In other words, for this application I think (partial at least) bypass is fairly normal for it while warming or fairly high RPM, but it shouldn’t be in bypass at all under average driving conditions after 10 minutes or so from cold.

Looks like a decent PSID test setup if the gauges are accurate.

I'm kind of surprised the PSID was that high when the oil was hot since this can't be on what I'd consider a "high volume output" pumped engine - or is it?

So this filter already has some miles on it? Maybe some induced PSID from previous use/loading?

What vehicle was this test data taken on?

What were the absolute pressure readings of the two gauges (besides the deltas) to get an idea if the pump was at or maybe even above it's max pressure setpoint during the test.

I don't know what the output is for the pump, only that it is a gearotor type.
2011 Toyota Tacoma, 2.7 liter 4 cylinder, 5 main bearing, 159 HP.
This is the same size filter used on the V6 Tacomas, and Toyota has used this part for many years an many engines. Seems to work.

The gauges are accurate to each other. I don't think there is much extra pressure drop in the 2, 90's and short oil gallery to the second gauge, but there will be some. So actual media PSID may be 1-2 PSID less than the gauges indicate.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What were the absolute pressure readings of the two gauges (besides the deltas) to get an idea if the pump was at or maybe even above it's max pressure setpoint during the test.

It peaked at about 85 psi at start up. The relief starts opening then. After that, no, the pressures (absolute) were 40-60 range.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

The gauges are accurate to each other. I don't think there is much extra pressure drop in the 2, 90's and short oil gallery to the second gauge, but there will be some. So actual media PSID may be 1-2 PSID less than the gauges indicate.

Agreed ... probably 1 PSID or less from the filter to the 2nd gauge point. Since it's a main gallery, I doubt the drop is much in that short distance.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

It peaked at about 85 psi at start up. The relief starts opening then. After that, no, the pressures (absolute) were 40-60 range.

So anytime the pump isn't in relief mode then you could say the oil flow is the same at some constant RPM point regardless of the oil's temperature.

What would be interesting is PSID data from idle to say 5000 RPM (at 1000 RPM intervals) when the oil is fully hot (~200 F). This could be easily done in neutral in the driveway. No need to actually be moving down the road to obtain this data.

So was this a brand new filter before mod for the testing? Or did it have some previous miles on it? 8 PSID @ 3000 RPM @ 190 F seems high to me ... guess WIX filters are more restrictive than I imagined or there was some PSID from previous loading. IMO, running that close to bypass with hot oil doesn't seem right, especially on a 4 cyl running at 1/2 it's max RPM range.

Zee, It was a brand new filter. The last reading seems high to me too. But I am trying to read gauges with my glasses on through a windshield, I mighthave messed that one.
I'm sure at 5K RPM (redline is 5500) it is bypassing. But I'm satisfied that I'm getting full flow filtration probably at least 90% of the time.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I use this same filter on my Stratus. How do you like the 51348/1348 NG and do you use the P1 PL10241 at times?

Yes I do. I am satisfied with both of these, although sometimes (and I shouldn't because of warranty) use the longer 51516, L20195(?)

My 2003 Sienna calls for the same filter.
I changed mine to the 51516, slightly longer can.
Same specifications otherwise.....except Beta ratio is slightly different.
2/20=14/31 for 51516
2/20=21/37 for 51348

Cool. Thanks for sharing this experiment.

I mean, really, at some point all of your oil gets filtered, but most is done filtering/going back to get dirtier all of the time. Going into by-pass isn't the issue, it's filtering to capacity and going hundreds of miles on all unfiltered oil.

Can't wait for my first UOA! I have never done one...but that's for another thread.

...I mean, really, at some point all of your oil gets filtered...

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
My 2003 Sienna calls for the same filter.
I changed mine to the 51516, slightly longer can.
Same specifications otherwise.....except Beta ratio is slightly different.

2/20=14/31 for 51516

Ya. I think the media is actually the same, but the flow difference may be the test difference
[/quote]

Very inventive, diligent, and gutsy test, especially on a 2011. Nice to see some data. Can't see anything wrong, very informative. Shows a little support for the use of 0w's? There's a lot happening we don't know while driving in that simple oil filter.

Could someone please re-explain the beta ratios, which each number means at what micron etc?

2/20=14/31 1st number to 1st number the way Wix writes it:

2=14 means 1/2 of 14 micron size particles get through the filter (i.e. 50% efficient at 14 microns) and...

2nd number to second number:
20=31 means 1/20th of the 31 micron particles get through. (i.e. 95% efficient at 31 microns)

Some companies write the beta equation a little different order though, so you got to watch for that.

Personally I think Wix's betas are kind of mediocre and probably wouldn't use them is I hadn't seen them out filter most other filters in my own side by side tests. I don't know if Wix tests at max flow and makes them look dismal, or other companies test to their own maximum advantage, but I have every confidence in Wix/Napa Gold ability to filter with the best groups in the real world.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Very inventive, diligent, and gutsy test, especially on a 2011. Nice to see some data. Can't see anything wrong, very informative. Shows a little support for the use of 0w's? There's a lot happening we don't know while driving in that simple oil filter.

Thanks! I should have used my wife's car...HA! I really wanted to know how well the stock filter size in the one I use most worked on this engine.
I never left the garage, and was able to shut down if something blew.

Thanks for clarifying that again.

So, I just need to know the percentage of particle filtration down to the various micron ratings. I doubt all P1's for example, all filter to 99.9%, is that because they had a few filters get those ratings? Where are their betas on their individual filters?

Thanks for clarifying that again.

So, I just need to know the percentage of particle filtration down to the various micron ratings. I doubt all P1's for example, all filter to 99.9%, is that because they had a few filters get those ratings? Where are their betas on their individual filters?

From Purolator's website ... the efficiency rating is based on the PL30001 per ISO 4548-12. This is not an uncommon practice by filter manufactures. Purolator does not have beta ratios for each filter.

Also, their 4 smallest spin-on filers are 99.9% @ 40 microns. Look at the filter box to see the rating.

Purolator PureONE Oil Filters are 99.9% Efficient*

Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

river_rat
I have gotten a LOT out of your posts.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to post the information that you have posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back