51 year old K-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shot it today after several years of non-use. So smooth and accurate. I hope they are still building them with quality.

The only thing that beats a K-22 is a K-38
smile.gif

I haven't handled a recent production K-22, but the old ones are certainly a joy all around to shoot.

I don't currently have a K-22, but have a model 14(K-38) in 6" and it's easily my best shooting revolver. I actually had to install a heavier rebound spring in it because the trigger was too light to my taste(albeit I now have an aftermarket 16lb spring as opposed to the 12lb that was in it when I bought it). Admittedly, though, it hasn't been shot much since I bought the 52, although the ammo flexibility in the K-38 vs. the 52 is really nice.

Folks who have never shot an S&W target revolver have no idea of the surreal pleasure they're missing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
The only thing that beats a K-22 is a K-38
smile.gif

I prefer the J Frame Model 63 in a S&W .22 revolver. However the K-38's are perfect. A Full Lug Model 14 and a Model 15. The only thing I've found with the Model 63 is you have to keep the front face of the cylinder clean, or else it can cause it to bind up. (Flash gap is only .003 on my feeler gauges). I thought it was going out of time on me, but it turned out to be nothing more than a dirty cylinder face. "Lead Away" wipes take care of it nicely after every couple hundred rounds. Plated bullets seem to be less of a problem than non plated lead bullets for some reason.

Folks who have never shot an S&W target revolver have no idea of the surreal pleasure they're missing.

+1 I took my Model 586 6" to my NRA class. On the range I put all 50 shots inside the first ring...
lol.gif

My instructor was like " yeah fine...you're done"
13.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog

+1 I took my Model 586 6" to my NRA class. On the range I put all 50 shots inside the first ring...
lol.gif

13.gif

I used my 52 at my CCW class. The instructor told me that I'd missed the second shot. I told him to look closer and notice that the hole in the paper was a bit oval
smile.gif

The Kentucky requirement is 7 shots out of 20 on a silhouette from 7 yards. I had to intentionally shoot at different places on the silhouette to make sure I got credit for them...

Nothing compares to a Smith & Wesson Handgun. They have a cult following that I am in. I love my Smiths. 80% of all my handguns are Smith & Wesson.
I used to love the ads they would run against Ruger. "Your hamburgers should be thick, not your handguns".

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Nothing compares to a Smith & Wesson Handgun. They have a cult following that I am in. I love my Smiths. 80% of all my handguns are Smith & Wesson.
I used to love the ads they would run against Ruger. "Your hamburgers should be thick, not your handguns".

The only exception I have is with some Colt's. I wish I would have invested heavily in Pythons when you could buy all you wanted for $500 and $600 each. Today they sell for over 4 times that in 100% condition. Smiths have gone up as well. But nowhere near as much as the Colt Python's have.

"Your hamburgers should be thick, not your handguns".

A local gun shop has one of those up, but won't let go of it even when I wave money in their face
smile.gif
. It shows a GP-100 or the like in a hamburger bun.

My oldest S&W is a Model of 1899 in 32-20 from ~1901 or so. There were 5000 1899s made in 32-20. I have several M&Ps in 32-20 and 38 special from the 1920s and 1930s, which are beautiful pieces along with several 19s, 27s, and 28s from the 60s and 70s. The newest S&W I have is a "pre-lock" but MIM 629 Mountain Gun in 44 Magnum. I think it dates to right before the lock ere(mid-90s probably).

I have a few Colts also, and have owned Rugers and Dan Wessons. Right now, I do have two Ruger single actions-a single seven in 327 Magnum and a Blackhawk in 45 Colt-and they are great for what they are but don't have the finesse of an S&W or Colt. I've never had a double action Ruger that I liked. Dan Wessons are interesting, but I never could shoot them well and they are ugly as sin.

I took my Model 586 6" to my NRA class. On the range I put all 50 shots inside the first ring.

I love my 686's as well. Both were purchased in the 80's, and are "pre lock".

Originally Posted By: billt460

The only exception I have is with some Colt's. I wish I would have invested heavily in Pythons when you could buy all you wanted for $500 and $600 each. Today they sell for over 4 times that in 100% condition. Smiths have gone up as well. But nowhere near as much as the Colt Python's have.

The Smith's that have gone up in price I am guessing are the "pre lock" models?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

The Smith's that have gone up in price I am guessing are the "pre lock" models?

Just a plain pre-lock S&W doesn't carry that much of a premium, although they are certainly on the rise.

The real growth that I've seen is in "P&R"(pinned and recessed) Magnums, and especially pre-model number magnums. "The 357 Magnum(model 27)", "The 44 Magnum(model 29)" and the "Combat Magnum"(model 19) are going nuts.

Among the -2 N frames(P&R model 27, 28, and 29), the "S" series serial numbers also carry a premium. These predate the gun control act of 1968, which required a unique serial number for every gun.

These are a couple of 8-3/8" N Frames I picked up back in the 70's. A Model 29, and a Model 25-5, (.45 Colt upper gun in photo). Both came with the wooden presentation cases and cleaning tools. Both also have counterbored chambers. Something else that went away on later models.

I took my Model 586 6" to my NRA class. On the range I put all 50 shots inside the first ring.

I love my 686's as well. Both were purchased in the 80's, and are "pre lock".

yeah, I got mine in 1982 for $150. should have bought 10 of them...
lol.gif

lol.gif

13.gif

I used my 52 at my CCW class. The instructor told me that I'd missed the second shot. I told him to look closer and notice that the hole in the paper was a bit oval
smile.gif

The Kentucky requirement is 7 shots out of 20 on a silhouette from 7 yards. I had to intentionally shoot at different places on the silhouette to make sure I got credit for them...

lol.gif
lol.gif
love it....

These are a couple of 8-3/8" N Frames I picked up back in the 70's. A Model 29, and a Model 25-5, (.45 Colt upper gun in photo). Both came with the wooden presentation cases and cleaning tools. Both also have counterbored chambers. Something else that went away on later models.

The only P&R Magnums I have are 357s(19s, 27s, and 28s) but there's something oddly satisfying about looking at a model 29 and seeing those big cartridge heads sitting flush with the back of the cylinder.

I have a 27-2 in 8 3/8, and it's one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever shot. Just out at a farm shooting for fun, I always laugh at folks with their 9mms and the like shooting at 2Ls from 25-50 yards and having trouble hitting them. I pull out the 27, and will pop one with every shot. 2Ls are fun with a 357, also, as they really do "pop."

smile.gif

Back in 1991 when my wife and I moved out to Arizona from Chicago, my employer there tried to screw me out of 80 hours of vacation pay I had coming. To make a long story short, I filed a complaint with the Illinois Department Of Labor. After almost a year I had pretty much given up all hope of seeing any money, when a letter appeared in my mail box containing a check for the full 80 hours of pay.

I never expected to see a dime, so my wife said, "Why don't you celebrate by going down to the gun shop and see if they have anything you can't live without". Needless to say I immediately took here advice. I walked into a small local gun shop in Lake Havasu City, where we were living at the time, and there sitting in the case were both a new S&W Model 52 and a Model 41. We went back and forth a bit, and I ended up taking both home with a little change in my pocket. Best "vacation" I ever had!

Good choice with the money
smile.gif

I bought my 52 about two years ago. I walked into the Gun Library at Cabelas, and the guy there(who I know very well) said "you've got to see what I put out an hour ago."

They had a new in box, never fired outside the factory 52-1. The gun didn't go back in the display case
smile.gif

He actually said it was on his "to do" list for later that day to call me about the gun-that was one that had been on my "wish list" for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back