48÷2(9+3) = ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the take-home lesson from this example is that even though math itself is unambiguous, the language we use to describe it is not necessarily so.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Originally Posted By: addyguy
The fact that there are people who CAN'T get the right answer for that equation scares me!

....c'mon, that is pretty freaking basic math!

:p

Originally Posted By: addyguy
EXACTLY....there ISN'T another way to see this...there is one way to do this correctly!

Geeeze, school standards have slipped, if people has been taught that there is more than one way to see this!

OK addy, you've shared your thoughts on the thread but not on the answer?
grin.gif

The answer is 288.

2. First 9+3. Then, then 2x that amount.Then divide 48 by the result. If their was a (x) after the 2 you would divide 48 by 2, then multiply the sum of (9+3)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kender
2. First 9+3. Then, then 2x that amount.Then divide 48 by the result. If their was a (x) after the 2 you would divide 48 by 2, then multiply the sum of (9+3)

Um, when you have a number next to parenthesis, it means you multiply. 48/2(9+3) is the same as 48/2 x (9+3). Both mean 24 x 12, which = 288.

Last edited:
Nice, that's 3 out of 4 Canadians that agree! Wonder what side the OP is on.

A co-worker was in the 2 camp till he sat down and scribbled it out. He actually came up with the "x" argument.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Um, when you have a number next to parenthesis, it means you multiply.

Yes. But as we have seen, there does not seem to be a consensus as to whether a number immediately next to a parenthesis without an operator should be given priority in the order of operations or simply treated as though the operator is there.

My sister's reply:

Quote:

Chris, I would say 48/2(12) is really the same as 48/2*12 (although ambiguous). And since you do BEDMAS left to right, you would get 288.
For example, if you had 4/1*3 , you have both multiplication and division. But since they have equal weight, you use the left to right rule and get 12, and not 1.3333 (repeat)

I think the original ambiguity was the bracket - do you eliminate them first? That is the subtle question here. There isn't really a "rule" for that.

Um, when you have a number next to parenthesis, it means you multiply. 48/2(9+3) is the same as 48/2 x (9+3). Both mean 24 x 12, which = 288.

Not if you were taught that you multiply an "implied multiplication" first, as many of us were taught. Even that purplemath website says you do this first.

Obviously, the best lesson from this is to be as explicit as possible. If more brackets were used, there would be no room for question here.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Um, when you have a number next to parenthesis, it means you multiply.

there does not seem to be a consensus as to whether a number immediately next to a parenthesis without an operator should be given priority in the order of operations or simply treated as though the operator is there.

There's a consensus among the people who are right.
lol.gif
There, I just added some psychology to the debate.

Ever wrote anything like 1/2Pi? Did you mean it to be 1/(2Pi) or did you mean it to be (1/2)*Pi?

I rest my case :)

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Obviously, the best lesson from this is to be as explicit as possible. If more brackets were used, there would be no room for question here.

But if more brackets were used....48÷(2(9+3))....it would be a different question and the answer would be 2!

I hear ya. The problem is, you're not supposed to use the division symbol when doing algebra. You're supposed to use the / symbol. If you use the division symbol, it reads 48/(2(9+3)) which = 2. If it's 48/2(9+3), it's 288.

I agree, I think that's where the confusion is coming from.

My answer is 288 but I had to look at the equation for awhile because I don't think I've seen a division symbol since about 5th grade.

I think a lot of people are looking at the equation and (incorrectly) interpreting it in their brain as:

---------- = 2
2(9+3)

In reality, the equation should be: 48/2 * (9+3) AKA 24 * 12 = 288.

How about replacing the 9 with x. Add your solution (288 or 2) and then solve for x?

48÷2(x+3)=288

Or

48÷2(x+3)=2

Anyone in the 2 camp tried this?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

But if more brackets were used....48÷(2(9+3))....it would be a different question and the answer would be 2!

Or it could have been (48/2)(9+3)=288

More brackets never hurt.

How about replacing the 9 with x. Add your solution (288 or 2) and then solve for x?

48÷2(x+3)=288

Or

48÷2(x+3)=2

Yes, for the first expression, I get x=-2.9166

And for the second expression, I get x=9

48÷2(x+3)=288

Or

48÷2(x+3)=2

48/2(9+3)=x
48/2=x/(9+3)
24=x/12
288=x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back