4-stroke weed trimmer, runs/starts great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
operating orientation varies with the engine. honda uses a donut-shaped oil sump that surrounds the crank in its own chamber and pushes the oil out from there--- there's a slinger that keeps the oil stored around the perimeter of the the 'O' IIRC. this design allows for any orientation.

Other 4-strokes just have a sump--- rotating the engine lets the oil go in places it shouldn't.... causing gobs of smoke and stalling.

I have had both. 2 -non-hondas.... one has been great (backpack blower by toro), one was awful (ryobi trimmer). And a honda on a husq trimmer which is the most elegant of all of them.

to be fair, the 4-stroke in the toro backpack blower has been Great. Starts 2nd pull every time, consumes zero oil, no muss no fuss.

the ryobi---- even the worst cantankerous model R/C engines I had as a kid were more reliable than the ryobi.

Last edited:
I have owned a Troy Bilt for 4 seasons (very lightly used as I own 12+ trimmers), and found a 4 cycle Ryobi last year in the dumpster (overfilled with oil).
I sold the Ryobi after I drained the oil half way, and it started right up.
The Troy Bilt starts on the second pull, every single time.

The 4 cycle is a bad weedeater design IMO. Not as quick or responsive, 2 cycles get up and start buzzin through grass much quicker and maintain high speeds by design.
However, I see the chainsaw/tiller attachments being better suited to the 4 cycles torque.

As for longevity, I would much rather tear apart a 2 cycle as well and work on one, although overall I am satisfied with my Troy Bilt and reliability thus far.

Originally Posted By: JR
ARB1977, i have seen troy-built in my research. my nieghbor has had good success with them.
i was woundering ur oil, maintenance and stuff. seems. you have gotten good use so far and would like to get the same.

ken

Basic maintence, oil changed every season with Amsoil Small Engine. Next season I'll be using left over GC and Amsoil 5w20. Haven't changed the plug yet but clean and check gap every season and clean and oil the air filter as well, run it out of gas before storing.

I fires right up after about 5-10 primes.

Tipping the machine over usually isn't an issue because most 4 stroke whackers I've seen have the type shaft that rotates for edging and such.

And, the four stroke whackers usually run plenty strong until they don't. When yours stops running (getting gas) ask and we'll tell you what part usually clogs up.

And, the Weed Eater brand whackers are plenty good for light use if you take it to someone who can adjust the carburetor that 1/4 turn so it doesn't starve for fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
Tipping the machine over usually isn't an issue because most 4 stroke whackers I've seen have the type shaft that rotates for edging and such.

Another PITA thing about the 4 strokes I hated. Having to stop and switch the shaft is a pain. Much easier with my 4 Mix unit to just run it no matter how. I run it upside down and it doesn't matter one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back